Just Back From Oosterdam 10 Day 3/11-21

Seafoam Green

Our first HAL cruise is now history and I can say there will definitely be more!

Cabin 7149 was our home for a wonderful 10 days and we were out on that aft balcony morning, noon and night. It was as fabulous as I expected it would be.

I'm taking a break from laundry (where is that navy bag to stuff and everything comes back later that day all perfect?!?) to start this thread. I'm happy to answer questions.

Oosterdam is a nice ship, with features that we prefer. DH never says much, but he said he wished the center area on the lower decks had more light, higher ceilings. He said he didn't realize how much he likes the Atriums on the grand class Princess ships. I walked 2 miles on the Promenade Deck every morning, even got caught in a shower as we cruised in to Samana and watched docking at Curacao. We had late seating in the Vista on deck 3 and also went to Canaletto and Pinnacle (thanks for suggesting it for the last night - perfect). Breakfast was what we gathered from the Lido and consumed on the Sea View deck - our second home after our balcony.

Ports were great, but HMC would have been better if we could have been there alone. The Eurodam was there as their last stop and we couldn't even get near the snorkeling area and I'm sure the fish left town for the day with the mob from the 2 ships.

Feel free to ask whatever interests you. Yes, I will be booking HAL again.

:D

Glad you had a good time. We liked Oosterdam, and those aft balconies are great!

We were at HMC the same time as Eurodam on our cruise, too. I just went ashore for a short time to walk the beach, so it didn't bother me. I was actually expecting it to be more crowded. The biggest issue in the morning was that tendering was slower because the island tenders had to be shared.

We were at HMC the same time as Eurodam on our cruise, too.The biggest issue in the morning was that tendering was slower because the island tenders had to be shared.

Since you mentioned tenders, our return trip was slower than normal when an engine failed on our tender. I wish that cruise lines would give passengers some 'calming techniques' for situations where they might stress themselves into being seasick. I tried my best to encourage the woman behind me to breathe slowly, keep her focus on a fixed point on the island, and let that keep her from becoming anxious and ill. She thanked me and was trying, but then someone started talking about seasick meds, airsickness, blah, blah, blah and the poor woman freaked out and started yelling at the tender operator. Fortunately, the issue was resolved soon after and we finally were back onboard the mother ship.

Since you mentioned tenders, our return trip was slower than normal when an engine failed on our tender. I wish that cruise lines would give passengers some 'calming techniques' for situations where they might stress themselves into being seasick. I tried my best to encourage the woman behind me to breathe slowly, keep her focus on a fixed point on the island, and let that keep her from becoming anxious and ill. She thanked me and was trying, but then someone started talking about seasick meds, airsickness, blah, blah, blah and the poor woman freaked out and started yelling at the tender operator. Fortunately, the issue was resolved soon after and we finally were back onboard the mother ship.

Humor can go a long way to keeping people relaxed. At one of our tender ports in Australia (Cunard cruise), it was getting very rough toward the end of the afternoon. There was an officer on our tender, something I had never seen before. He chatted with people and used a little humor to distract people from being too nervous. Although he was watching closely for people in distress, he managed to look very relaxed, which people probably found reassuring. (He did, however, have some "little white bags" in his hand, another thing I've never seen on a tender. :eek:)

Unfortunately, they had to zip up the plastic "doors," which makes it stuffy inside. But water still managed to splash in under the doors. One large wave hit us (I later heard it splashed over the top of the tender!), and water sloshed around the floor. One woman had set a tote bag or shopping bag on the floor, and it got wet. She yelled "Bloody hell!" and everyone in the boat laughed. I'm sorry her stuff got wet, but that incident relaxed everyone, and nobody got sick.

Our first HAL cruise is now history and I can say there will definitely be more!

Cabin 7149 was our home for a wonderful 10 days and we were out on that aft balcony morning, noon and night. It was as fabulous as I expected it would be.

I'm taking a break from laundry (where is that navy bag to stuff and everything comes back later that day all perfect?!?) to start this thread. I'm happy to answer questions.

Oosterdam is a nice ship, with features that we prefer. DH never says much, but he said he wished the center area on the lower decks had more light, higher ceilings. He said he didn't realize how much he likes the Atriums on the grand class Princess ships. I walked 2 miles on the Promenade Deck every morning, even got caught in a shower as we cruised in to Samana and watched docking at Curacao. We had late seating in the Vista on deck 3 and also went to Canaletto and Pinnacle (thanks for suggesting it for the last night - perfect). Breakfast was what we gathered from the Lido and consumed on the Sea View deck - our second home after our balcony.

Ports were great, but HMC would have been better if we could have been there alone. The Eurodam was there as their last stop and we couldn't even get near the snorkeling area and I'm sure the fish left town for the day with the mob from the 2 ships.

Feel free to ask whatever interests you. Yes, I will be booking HAL again.

We were on Oosterdam for 21 days and had a grand time. The ship is going in for a re-fit and the atrium is in for a re-make. I know what you mean about Princess, the atrium is the hub of a lot of activity. Glad you had a great time.

We were on Oosterdam for 21 days and had a grand time. The ship is going in for a re-fit and the atrium is in for a re-make. I know what you mean about Princess, the atrium is the hub of a lot of activity. Glad you had a great time.

I didn't know that the atrium is part of the re-fit. That might be nice!

I attended 'Q&A with the Captain' and he spoke about $60million, 3,000 contractors, 25 new staterooms, in 15 days...:eek:

I think the BB King Band needs a bigger venue. They were so good.

I didn't know that the atrium is part of the re-fit. That might be nice!

I attended 'Q&A with the Captain' and he spoke about $60million, 3,000 contractors, 25 new staterooms, in 15 days...:eek:

Wonder where in the world they are putting 25 new staterooms??!

We were on Oosterdam for 21 days and had a grand time. The ship is going in for a re-fit and the atrium is in for a re-make.

What do you mean about "atrium is in for a remake"? They changed carpeting on the other Vista ships but they have not changed the structure or what connects to the atrium on all 3 decks on those ships at least. Based on how much you heard, can you be more specific?

Aft of the crow's nest. Same place they added them to the rest of the Vista class. And the retreat cabanas will go on top of that area.

The Prinsendam was in port on the same day. I was very disappointed to see where cabins had been added to her aft section - really ruined the lines of the ship.

The Prinsendam was in port on the same day. I was very disappointed to see where cabins had been added to her aft section - really ruined the lines of the ship.

That was done years ago. One benefit to guests onboard though is it made for a much larger aft pool deck. It also added some additional structure that allowed them to enclose the Lido Terrace (believe that is what it was called) which made the Wintergarden/Canaletto area there now.

So YES, they are getting the revenue of the extra rooms, but there was some give back to guests onboard as well.

What do you mean about "atrium is in for a remake"? They changed carpeting on the other Vista ships but they have not changed the structure or what connects to the atrium on all 3 decks on those ships at least. Based on how much you heard, can you be more specific?

I can't imagine how they could remake the atrium, given its structure. They can't open it out more, as there are too many places they don't want to remove just to make more space--Pinnacle Grill, Pinnacle Bar, Ocean Bar, etc. They can redecorate, but they can't reconfigure it.

I can't imagine how they could remake the atrium, given its structure. They can't open it out more, as there are too many places they don't want to remove just to make more space--Pinnacle Grill, Pinnacle Bar, Ocean Bar, etc. They can redecorate, but they can't reconfigure it.

Exactly my thoughts. Hoping that poster will come back and share any details they may have heard. I think the biggest change the atrium ever got, and it's debatable to call it the atrium, but when they opened up the Ocean Bar

They were the best yet! (out of 4 bands seen) Adam Smith (trumpet etc) is an exceptional talent. A rocker when he is singing, but so quiet when talking with him.

They were the best yet! (out of 4 bands seen) Adam Smith (trumpet etc) is an exceptional talent. A rocker when he is singing, but so quiet when talking with him.

I also enjoyed Adam, but he lost me (briefly) when he attempted to sing Michael Jackson's "Billie Jean". Don't quit the trumpet, Adam...;)

What a great concept and enjoyable show!

I'm so glad to hear you had a good time and that you plan on doing more HAL cruises.:)

We really were able to "relax completely" (to steal a line from Princess:p) and felt very comfortable.

I wondered about not being able to do my own laundry, but the unlimited laundry service was way beyond my expectations. I can see that I will need to pack less for the next cruise.

I'm hoping to compose a full CC review, perhaps early next week. Our private excursions were so awesome that we were totally wiped out after them and didn't do much 'wandering around' after them like we have in the past.