Which Cruise Line?

cruisecrazybmore

I know this is going to be purely opinion, but I'm still curious.

I'm considering a solo Alaska cruise for 2017. I've only ever cruised RCCL and Carnival. I was leaning towards RCCL because I'm most familiar with it. My travel agent suggested Princess because of the itinerary.

I've never heard much about Princess. How does it differ from RCCL and Carnival? It looks less casual from the pictures I've seen of dining rooms. I'm not one to get dressed up on cruises.

I'm looking for the most bang for my buck as being solo already doubles the price. I just want to enjoy the scenery. I'm really in to photography and I feel I can get good photos on any line.

Thoughts?

Just my opinion but in AK, the only thing that is important is the itinerary. You need to look at ports, port arrival times, port departure times, etc before you even think about which ship.

Especially in AK, I regard the ship as a big bus that will get me to the ports I want to visit. Anything on the ship is irrelevant.

DON

Depending on your age group would sort say which cruise line is a better fit.

As say the the cruise is about the ports and scenery not the ship.

If your a single in your 50"s plus Celebrity or Princess

If over 65 then look at Holland America

First you have to decide whether from Seattle , Vancouver or Seattle.

Seattle and Vancouver have 7 day RTN . San Francisco has 10 day RTN.

Keep in mind that Seattle and San Francisco have shorter port times due to stopping in Victoria.

I would read Anne Vipond's book about Alaska to find out what you want to see.

Keep in mind that Seattle and San Francisco have shorter port times due to stopping in Victoria.

I would read Anne Vipond's book about Alaska to find out what you want to see.

It depends on your ship and other stops. We're on RCCL Explorer of the Seas in May and have a full 9-6 in Victoria.

My travel agent suggested Princess because of the itinerary. Thoughts?

what specifically makes a Princess itinerary superior? and which itinerary are you referring to?

Are you looking at One way or RT?

If you're interested in photography I'd suggest Vancouver over Seattle. Vancouver ships travel between the Mainland and Vanc Island so it's more scenic and the water is more sheltered. Seattle ships travel on the west side of Vanc Island so basically open sea .. less scenic and if there's bad weather a rougher trip.

I encourage you to read thru the many trip reports/ photojournals in STICKYs above The first line usually indicates the ship, date, itinerary. Lots of helpful info.

There are books specific to Alaska cruises. Maybe your library has them. Ann Vipond has 'Alaska by Cruiseship' and Fodor has 'Alaska Ports of Call'. Good info about ships, ports, itineraries, activities, etc

Princess and HAL offers Glacier Bay for several itineraries. Does the competition? Glacier seekers will be happiest with Glacier Bay for the best experience.

[YOUTUBE]9ln2wYbk6xY[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]OMzReVZn__M[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by xlxo

Yeah, which is a complete waste in my mind. At least if you're going to stop, make it so that you can actually enjoy the port!

The stop is to make cruises from Seattle legal a cording to the PVSA rules. Let's not start down that road.

Wow! Thanks for all the replies! I'm only 29, but much prefer the older age groups on cruises. The Canada/New England cruise was wonderful!

I'll look in to everything you all suggested this weekend when I have more time. Thanks!

I am in my mid-40's but have been sailing Princess since my 20's. It is my choice over RCCL and Carnival and has been since day 1.

Princess goes to Glacier Bay - RCCL can not. Princess has great one way itineraries.

And I do sail solo sometimes and Princess is great for it.

Don't worry about formal - it is no more formal then RCCL and in Alaska, everything is more relaxed.

And in Alaska - all of the cruise lines have an older demographic, even Carnival.

Edited by Coral

I am researching this same trip for late May of 2017 and I've got to tell you there is a huge difference in airfare for the one-way cruises than round trip to and from Seattle. I can see how this wouldn't make as much difference for a solo cruiser, but I'll have to factor this in to my decision on which itinerary to take.

I am researching this same trip for late May of 2017 and I've got to tell you there is a huge difference in airfare for the one-way cruises than round trip to and from Seattle. I can see how this wouldn't make as much difference for a solo cruiser, but I'll have to factor this in to my decision on which itinerary to take.

The weird thing is that prices change between now and when final payment is. Sometimes the one way pricing goes down and are less then the round trips and it balances airfare. That was my situation a few years ago.

May prices are always high this far out. Most of them come down.

Edited by Coral

I've started going through the various cruise lines looking at itineraries, as suggested. I found a 14 day round trip Vancouver on NCL. Not offered in 2017 though :(.

Mon Vancouver, British Columbia (EMBARK) --- 4:00 pm

Tue CRUISE INSIDE PASSAGE --- ---

Wed Ketchikan, Alaska 7:00 am 4:00 pm

Thu Juneau, Alaska 11:00 am 9:00 pm

Fri Skagway, Alaska 7:00 am 8:00 pm

Sat Cruise Glacier Bay --- ---

Sun Cruise Hubbard Glacier --- ---

Mon Seward, Alaska 7:00 am 9:00 pm

Tue Cruise Hubbard Glacier --- ---

Wed Icy Strait Point, Alaska 9:00 am 5:00 pm

Thu Juneau, Alaska 7:00 am 1:15 pm Cruise past Sawyer Glacier --- ---

Fri Skagway, Alaska 7:00 am 5:00 pm

Sat Ketchikan, Alaska 1:00 pm 8:00 pm

Sun CRUISE INSIDE PASSAGE --- ---

Mon Vancouver, British Columbia (DISEMBARK) 8:00 am ---

I liked some of the round trip Princess itineraries also. Definitely looking to save as much money as possible and round trip seems to be cheaper using current prices as a guide. I know there is no way to know what next year will bring though.

That 14 day NCL though!

Edited by cruisecrazybmore

We'll be cruising NCL Northbound Glacier from Vancouver in June 2017. I like it's itinerary of cruising day (acclimating ourselves to the boat), then 3 full days in Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway before we relax and cruise the glaciers for 2 days prior to our full itinerary on our DIY tour in Seward, train to Anchorage and then 3 nights in Denali before flying home.

NCL seemed like a more relaxed layed back feeling....no formal nights and relaxed cruising. Found out also that the Norwegian Sun will be in drydock for a major upgrade this summer for a month so should be nicely refurbished and ready to go for next summer!

I know this is going to be purely opinion, but I'm still curious.

I'm considering a solo Alaska cruise for 2017. I've only ever cruised RCCL and Carnival. I was leaning towards RCCL because I'm most familiar with it. My travel agent suggested Princess because of the itinerary.

Thoughts?

My answers are not intended to be all inclusive, just a sampling of ideas. (AKA you can probably see bears in Icy Straight Point, but I only mentioned Ketchikan.)

What do you want to see Glacier Bay? Choose an itinerary that includes it.

Bears? Go during the height of the salmon spawning to Ketchikan & be prepared to pay a lot for an excursion.

Railroad into the Yukon? any ship/any time from Skagway

Whales - any ship/any time will get you to Juneau/Icy Straight Point - the 2 sops where I would consider this excursion.

I've hit the most popular ports above, if you are interested in America's Russian history - go to Sitka.

When you see how few ships go to Sitka, you will narrow you choice greatly.

In Canada, do you want to see Vancouver or Victoria? (We loved our Vancouver round trip. We flew into Seattle & took an enjoyable ride on Amtrak up to Vancouver. We had time to see both Vancouver & Seattle - we always fly in the day before & fly out the day after.) Victoria is on our next AK cruise (14-nights round trip out of Seattle on HAL).

Don't worry about demographics, As 30 somethings we sailed on Holland America with a 4.5 years old & enjoyed ourselves & did not feel like we were the only young ones on the ship.

Edited by TheCalicoCat

Which port are giving up in Alaska for a full day in Victoria?

We get a full day in Victoria too. Let's see here are the ports: Ketchikan, Juneau, Icy Strait Point, Anchorage, Homer, Kodiak, Sitka & Victoria from 1 til 11. I guess we are "giving up" Skagway...

The stop is to make cruises from Seattle legal a cording to the PVSA rules. Let's not start down that road.

If I'm forced to give up a stop in Alaska for a sham stop in Canada, I'm glad it's at least a full day stop. I can actually utilize it to do things like take my kids whale watching there to maximize my time in Alaska.

I've been to Alaska 3 times - twice on Princess. I also happen to love RCI. If you want a round trip cruise, I'd go with Princess and be sure Glacier Bay is on the itinerary. If you want a Northbound or Southbound cruise, I'd choose RCI. You won't see Glacier Bay, but you will see Hubbard Glacier, which is impressive, and the RCI ship has a lot of great viewing areas. Plus, you have the opportunity to visit the interior, like Denali National Park if you choose a Northbound or Southbound. My least favorite itinerary would be one that is round trip from Seattle - they typically go around the outside/ocean side with a little less of the inside part of the inside passage.

Edited by cruisingwithcarrie

I've been to Alaska 3 times - twice on Princess. I also happen to love RCI. If you want a round trip cruise, I'd go with Princess and be sure Glacier Bay is on the itinerary. If you want a Northbound or Southbound cruise, I'd choose RCI. You won't see Glacier Bay, but you will see Hubbard Glacier, which is impressive, and the RCI ship has a lot of great viewing areas. Plus, you have the opportunity to visit the interior, like Denali National Park if you choose a Northbound or Southbound. My least favorite itinerary would be one that is round trip from Seattle - they typically go around the outside/ocean side with a little less of the inside part of the inside passage.

Though the cool thing about Princess one way itineraries is that there are 2 glacier days - one way it is Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay and the other direction it is Glacier Bay and College Fiords.

We did the Radiance on my first trip and missed Hubbard Glacier, so no glacier day. This is why I like to have 2, in case one is missed and Glacier Bay is not ever missed.

I did prefer Princess as there are no enrichment programs on RCCL. No naturalists, no speakers coming onboard, etc... Nothing.

Edited by Coral