Summit or Silhouette - need advice

danhandiman

I have sailed Silhouette twice and loved it, ship was beautiful. We are looking at a cruise Jan/Feb 2017 - got a price for a 9 day on Summit Feb 18th from Fort Lauderdale and a 7 day on Silhouette. Similar prices.

I enjoyed all the specialty restaurants - Qsine, Murano, Tuscon Grille very mu much are those available on Summit? We also liked the Solarium area on the Silhouette- is there the same area on the Summit?

I am worried that the Summit will not be as nice.

Any advice is appreciated.

I have sailed Silhouette twice and loved it, ship was beautiful. We are looking at a cruise Jan/Feb 2017 - got a price for a 9 day on Summit Feb 18th from Fort Lauderdale and a 7 day on Silhouette. Similar prices.

I enjoyed all the specialty restaurants - Qsine, Murano, Tuscon Grille very mu much are those available on Summit? We also liked the Solarium area on the Silhouette- is there the same area on the Summit?

The Summit is NOT as nice as Silhouette. Older ship without some of the amenities offered by Silhouette.

Qsine has been on the Summit for some time, Tuscan Grille is new replacing Nomandy, Not sure about Manaros - check deck planor on line for Infinity - they are now the same or on. There is a Solarium area for adults on the Summit. Summit should be very nice having earlier this month coming out of an overhaul refurbishing. By next year, a room might see some wear that can't be fixed while in port but that hopefully will be rare.

What Summit has that S class ships do not have is the thalassotherapy pool in the Solarium. One of my very favorite spots on Celebrity! M class is smaller and therefore by necessity has fewer nightlife and specialty restaurant choices. It is also older, so will show a bit of age here and there, although they are refurbishing all of the M class ships, and in general Celebrity does a great job at maintaining their vessels. It all depends what you like and need in a cruise to be happy. I love both classes, but I think my favorite is M class - it is not small by any means but being smaller by comparison it feels more cozy and more like the ocean liners of old.

My favorite restaurant is the Lawn Club Grille, which isn't on the Summit.

On the Summit last June, I did enjoy Normandie same food as Murano- and the other restaurants. I prefer the layout of the Solstice ships more, but if the itinerary and price was pretty good I would consider the Summit again.

We are booked on Silhouette in January, 2017. We just recently booked the 9 day cruise on Summit that you mentioned. We plan on cancelling the Silhouette cruise. We were on the Constellation February, 2016 9 day cruise and we (three couples) thought it was a great cruise. While onboard we said that a 9 day cruise was just right for us and we liked the ship. The day after we got home, we found the Summit 9 day cruise. It's a twin of Constellation and it just got out of dry dock.

We decided to book the 9 day on the Summit to try something new and like that it sails out of Fort Lauderdale instead of San Juan. Never been on a 9 day cruise so thinking it will very relaxing to have the 4 sea days.

Great. Consider joining our role call.

I'm really surprised that no one ever talks about the uncomfortable chairs on constellation in specific, possibly M class ships in general. I guess we are spoiled by the super comfortable lounge chairs on the S class ships, but when we were on the Connie in the fall, we found the wooden chairs especially in the solarium to be extremely uncomfortable.

Another thing that makes me prefer S class is the layout of the buffet. I had a really hard time with the layout on Connie, and found it very cumbersome. I much prefer the multiple stations, open across the ship, that you find on the S class ships. An additional problem that we had, which might have been just on our cruise, was the constant lack of ice, coffee, silverware, and plates in the buffet. It was like a treasure hunt every time we went in there just to find the basics. Very frustrating on a 15 day cruise. I've never had those issues on an S Class ship. We'll see in a few weeks when we hop on the Reflection for the 16 day crossing. Fingers crossed.

I have been on both in the past year and preferred the Summit.

Maybe because it was our first Celebrity cruise. Maybe is was because it was Bermuda. Both were in Aqua. Loved the warm water pool. The staff were so friendly that we felt part of their family.

First time ever we are considering going on a ship again - that exact cruise - this Summer.

We are on Silhouette now and dislike it. Lifeboats block walkway on deck 5 and verandas on deck 6. Tiny walking track. Dirty, sticky glasses in cabin and beds not made up by 10:30. Old and dated looking and hate the blue lights by the elevator. Liked the Constellation better, but back to RCI FOS and Oasis for us.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We are on Silhouette now and dislike it. Lifeboats block walkway on deck 5 and verandas on deck 6. Tiny walking track. Dirty, sticky glasses in cabin and beds not made up by 10:30. Old and dated looking and hate the blue lights by the elevator. Liked the Constellation better, but back to RCI FOS and Oasis for us.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Old and dated!!? Silhouette?? Wow, I've never heard that before!! And if your room steward has 20+ cabins to clean each morning, I guess it's possible that they haven't gotten to yours on your schedule. Have you tried asking to have it made up earlier?

Edited by CathyCruises

While we enjoy both, hands down the Silly is a better option. As stated before, it has the lawn grill and other venues not on the Summit. The decor is newer. The summit is also a great ship and very easy to navigate. We have found service about equal on both- If you want all the "bells and whistles" go on the Silly or her sister the Reflection. Having said that- our next cruise is on the Summit. We enjoy leaving from New Jersey in the summer-so it is a no fly cruise for us and that is wonderful. No hassel flying.

Enjoy your cruise

Edited by Cruise a holic

The Summit is NOT as nice as Silhouette. Older ship without some of the amenities offered by Silhouette.

We love the M class ships. We are port people and cruise for the itinerary. Suggest you weigh the ports, cost of each cruise as well as airfare costs with what the ships have to offer.

I disagree. I've sailed on both and the each have their own charms. Having more amenities does not make one a "nicer ship".

Personally I like a smaller ship, so I really enjoyed Summit when I sailed on her, but at the same time I loved Silhouette for the lawn club. I think they're both great options and you cannot go wrong in sailing either vessel.

We decided to book the 9 day on the Summit to try something new and like that it sails out of Fort Lauderdale instead of San Juan. Never been on a 9 day cruise so thinking it will very relaxing to have the 4 sea days.

This looks like a great itin...thanks for posting about it..

Does anyone know why Summit is going out of FLL, instead of its usual San Juan embarkation? ..That's nice b/c its a full day port stop in San Juanand easier for us to leave from FLL. Is this Feb date a school vacation week?

We are currently booked on Equinox in Jan 2017 for the 11 day itin..but might be nice to switch & return to Summit...have not been on her since pre Solstisizing or recent update.The T pool on M class is really nice even if ships are older. The 9 day is a good price but only includes 2 perks..we currently have 3 on Eq booking Thinking about it...