Beware, No Power Strips Allowed

Wow. So much arguing, and with such a simple solution: Just bring an extension cord that can handle the amperage but with no surge protection. I am exhausted reading the back and forth, but the simple answer is easy and inexpensive and my cords won't get confiscated and I won't have to go to the naughty room.... Unless they figure out I have bourbon in the Listerine bottle...

If they have not been confiscated you have been lucky. As has been mentioned they are prohibited. The safest thing to bring is a USB MultiPort charger like the Anker that use a two prong cord if you don't want to possibly end up in the naughty room or are worried about the safety of surge protectors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OK, so it needs to be some sort of multi-plug without surge protection...Thanks!

I'm D+ and I have yet to have any of my extension cords taken (or even looked at).

Edited by Cuizer2

Funny thing with all the comments is I bet 90% of you don't own your own online businesses. When I travel I bring one duffel bag dedicated just to my computer, backup computer, iPad back up iPad, cell phone and back up cell phone. Also have 2 back up mobile hotspots and a SAT Phone incase of an issue. There was one time where I had to go to all of my backups. So ensuring things are 100% are vital to those of us who run business away from home. In a perfect world I won't even touch any of them but when the **** hits the fan it hits the fan alright... So to the point of power strips some people may need them not everyone is a stay at home mom on these cruises....

Well, if they are on the cruise, clearly they are not staying at home. Still the idea of a vacation is to get away from work - not to take the work with you.

Funny thing with all the comments is I bet 90% of you don't own your own online businesses. When I travel I bring one duffel bag dedicated just to my computer, backup computer, iPad back up iPad, cell phone and back up cell phone. Also have 2 back up mobile hotspots and a SAT Phone incase of an issue. There was one time where I had to go to all of my backups. So ensuring things are 100% are vital to those of us who run business away from home. In a perfect world I won't even touch any of them but when the **** hits the fan it hits the fan alright... So to the point of power strips some people may need them not everyone is a stay at home mom on these cruises....

This thread isn't about the need or not need for power strips. There have been various reports of power strips being confiscated. Yes, people pack them not only because they have an online business but because they have computers, cell phones, iPad, electric toothbrushes, razors, watches, cameras, la la de dah and so on to charge. I have packed a power strip ( not a surge protector) on 50 cruises and they have never taken exception to it, never confiscated. But I do believe the reports that some passengers have had them confiscated. Some are trying to avoid that. Of late I have been packing a multiport USB charger as that takes care of most devices on one plug, I have the Anker six USB port, and leaves enough plugs left on the outlets for the devices that are not USB. I also carry a couple of European Plug adapters so I can use the 220 volt outlets in the cabin if need be.

Edited by Charles4515

I also carry a couple of European Plug adapters so I can use the 220 volt outlets in the cabin if need be.

If I remember correctly, the European receptacles in the cabin are Schuko sockets, also called "Type F", is that right? So what's needed is a Type F to a NEMA adapter? (I know it doesn't convert 220V to 110V, I would only plug in stuff that can accept 100-240V input per the product labeling)

If I remember correctly, the European receptacles in the cabin are Schuko sockets, also called "Type F", is that right? So what's needed is a Type F to a NEMA adapter? (I know it doesn't convert 220V to 110V, I would only plug in stuff that can accept 100-240V input per the product labeling)

Looks like this:

F2676491-01.jpg

That is the socket. But if my cord is two prong I can use this, it fits inside:

c066470b3dc874ba2793e1a297b0f89f.jpg

If my cord is three prong I use this:

cefaea18b3010bf9d65775569b980979.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Much appreciated :) Come to think of it, all the things my family needs to plug in are two-prong (some polarized, some not) anyway, e.g. charging for laptop/tablet/cell phones/camera battery/Fitbit/toothbrushes.

Much appreciated :) Come to think of it, all the things my family needs to plug in are two-prong (some polarized, some not) anyway, e.g. charging for laptop/tablet/cell phones/camera battery/Fitbit/toothbrushes.

The toothbrush is what you have to check the voltage. My current toothbrush is 110/220 so it is good. My old one was 110 volts. I never took the old one to Europe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The toothbrush is what you have to check the voltage. My current toothbrush is 110/220 so it is good. My old one was 110 volts. I never took the old one to Europe.

Yes, thanks for mentioning it, but I did imply earlier that I know it's not a step-down transformer, just a physical adapter, and I would check the product labeling.

I know full-well what can happen if you feed 220V into a 110V device. At work, I once plugged a device into a NEMA L5 receptacle (rated 125V max, not ever supposed to be 220V) but when the telecom room was built, the electrician wired the receptacle incorrectly from the breaker panel as a 220V circuit (as though it were a NEMA L6).

The circuitry inside the device exploded with a loud BANG! and I probably jumped two feet in the air :eek: I didn't do anything wrong and there is no way I could have known it was wired incorrectly without testing with a meter first, and well, nobody does that because you expect it was wired correctly by a licensed electrician. :rolleyes: I had a field day with that health & safety report...

Well, if they are on the cruise, clearly they are not staying at home. Still the idea of a vacation is to get away from work - not to take the work with you.

I like your sense of humor lol...

In the line of business I'm in if something goes wrong 5 and 6 figures can be lost in a day so I'm always prepared in case things go down the tubes. I agree 100% about the fact of being on vacation and every time I've gone on vacation (which is 4-5 times a year) I've only ever had to go to town on the gadgets once and I had to go all the way to the SAT phone (which is last resort since it's like $5 a minute) in order to finally get thru. I was on a remote island in Bocas Del Torro Panama... When that occured...

Edited by theboss7593

Not sure why people have to try to force their way of doing things on others. People want to charge their stuff. So what?. I am not aware of how this would affect the guy two rooms down. Oh well, I also bring a small multi plug that also has usb ports in it. If I use it I use it if I don't. It takes about 1% of 1% of my packing space.

Sometimes you need a power strip because the plugs in the cabins don't accommodate the power bricks used to charge different devices. I know all 3 of the cameras I am likely to take on a cruise have external battery charging bricks. (We bring 2 water proof cameras and 1 DSLR. When we do snorkeling, my wife likes one of the water proof cameras and I like the other.) One of the waterproof cameras and the DSLR have bricks that don't fit into most cabin plugs or if they do, they cover up the other plugs rendering them unusable. I also have to have a laptop computer, 2 iPhones, an apple watch, and an iPad.

The oasis of the seas was the first ship where I didn't need the power strip since it had 3 plugs on the desk, and the two outside ones were spaced far enough apart that I could plug in my laptop, and one of the camera chargers.

The laptop has 2 USB ports on it so I was able to charge 2 of the 4 apple devices at once.

[quote name=William234;51529051

The oasis of the seas was the first ship where I didn't need the power strip since it had 3 plugs on the desk' date=' and the two outside ones were spaced far enough apart that I could plug in my laptop, and one of the camera chargers.

[/quote]

That is the best solution, cruise lines putting in more plugs. It can be done. The current plugs on Allure and Oasis are a modification to the original plugs they had.

I like your sense of humor lol...

In the line of business I'm in if something goes wrong 5 and 6 figures can be lost in a day so I'm always prepared in case things go down the tubes. I agree 100% about the fact of being on vacation and every time I've gone on vacation (which is 4-5 times a year) I've only ever had to go to town on the gadgets once and I had to go all the way to the SAT phone (which is last resort since it's like $5 a minute) in order to finally get thru. I was on a remote island in Bocas Del Torro Panama... When that occured...

My last resort is a couple of hamsters and an exercise wheel. All it costs me is a hand full of sunflower seeds from the salad bar. :)

Edited by Cuizer2