Should we take a direct flight and arrive the day of the cruise?? Europe ...

We are booked to cruise out of Barcelona in June. To avoid getting lost and dealing with hotels, etc. we were thinking about arriving in the morning of the cruise. The cruise ship leaves at 6 pm, our flight would arrive at 11 am.

Has anyone else done this, I'm afraid something will go wrong and we will miss the cruise. What do you think?

Thank you for your help!!

Never ever plan to arrive the same day as the sailing. Too many things could go wrong.

We flewto San Juan in January. We were one of the last flights to l;eave JFK before the snow storm hit the east coast. We had flown from Manchester, England and changed planes at JFK.

We are going on another cruise from Fort Lauderdale in December. Have booked flights direct from Manchester to Orlando to miss JFK and any bad weather. We do not want to miss the cruise.

So would advise flying a day early and have a look round Barcelona. We have done this flying from the UK which is a much shorter flight.

We are booked to cruise out of Barcelona in June. To avoid getting lost and dealing with hotels, etc. we were thinking about arriving in the morning of the cruise. The cruise ship leaves at 6 pm, our flight would arrive at 11 am.

Has anyone else done this, I'm afraid something will go wrong and we will miss the cruise. What do you think?

We arrived in Barcelona the day of the cruise last year. Our luggage went to New York and it took four day's to catch up to us. Royal was great in working on getting the luggage but the airlines weren't much help.

Fly in a day early.

I hate flying in the day before. I always fly in the day of the cruise as long as I know that if I miss the sailing I can catch up to the ship at the next port.

But make sure you have travel insurance and booked air with the cruise line etc.

If you can afford it, which is usually the bottom line anyway out side of vacation time if still working. FLY IN EARLY.

PS some times flight to catch the ship are fully booked and you might have to wait a day or fly a red eye flight. Which is tough with jet lag and you most likely will have to stay at a hotel a night or two.

Edited by north29

So everyone seems to agree a day early at least. I would agree. Barcelona is so beautiful and would add a lot to the experience. I say go a few days early and enjoy. City architecture is unusual because of Dali so you should definitely check it out. You won't regret it

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Whilst there are several places that celebrate the life of Salvador Dali in Cataluña - the Dalí Theatre and Museum, which is located in Dali's home town of Figueres, the Castillo Gala Dalí in Púbol and Salvador Dalí's house in Portilligat, I would say that Barcelona is better known for the architecture and works of Anton Gaudí, whose fantastic structures such as Casa Batlló, La Pedrera and of course, the soon-to-be-finished amazing Sagrada Familia are worth spending an entire week visiting, along with Parc Güell and all his other works of art. Unique!

I am with the majority, fly in at least a day early. My first time going to Europe was for a cruise and I booked a stop-over flight for my mother and I arriving on Thursday for a Sunday departure. Due to equipment issues our first flight leg was cancelled and we were eventually re-booked on a later flight (with a stop over). I live in a major US city so flights were not a problem, the issue was seat availability. Our suitcases did not arrive until Saturday midday.

I say all this to warn against arriving the same day for a European cruise if one does not reside in Europe.

Even residing in Europe isn't a guarantee that your luggage will arrive with you! We live in Spain and were flying to Mallorca from Lanzarote via Barcelona and Vueling managed to lose my luggage both there and back and my husband's luggage just on the return journey. Luckily we had booked a hotel in Mallorca for the night and my luggage arrived a couple of hours before the ship departed.

My first cruise we flew in the same day.... our flight was delayed and were cutting it close to make it to the ship on time. Cruise #2 we flew in the day before.. thank God we did as my luggage got lost.... luggage showed up an hour before we were leaving port.. I would never fly in the same day and I now always pack a carry on with many outfits just in case..

I will agree...this worked out for us too. We arrived into BCN and were actually walking onto the ship before noon....We took a taxi (easy and quick) and by the time we had had lunch and the cabins were open at 1:00pm we watched from our balcony as that first bus transfer arrived from the airport...that would have been a long wait...glad we're not ones to take a shuttle. We've arrived to many of our cruises early morning of departure...along with many other's on the flights we've taken to get there...Many on these boards will "never" do this but more than they think do it often with no problems...as you only hear on these boards about the problems not usually the good results.

Do you remember approximately how much the taxi cost you from BCN airport to pier??

Thanks

I did it but arrived at 8:30 am from LAX toBarcelona. The only negative is you lose time to adjust to jet lag so we were in bed early that first night. If you have no choice it can be done,but if time and money are not an issues I would extend your stay.

Rather be 2, 3, or 4 days early than 5 minutes late.

Arrive a day or 2 early.

We did that - our flight left at something like 7 pm and arrived in Barcelona at 9 am. It was very easy finding everyone waiting to have their luggage transferred to the ship, and the shuttle busses. Very quiet airport when we got there. I'd definitely do it again if it was a direct flight..

Apart from my OCD concern about missing the ship, I can't imagine flying all night and then arriving in the morning, getting to the ship, waiting to get on and then trying to enjoy myself. I'd be ready for bed by about 6PM that night. The first day would be a write off for me. I think I'd much rather get there a couple days early, acclimate myself to the time and be ready and rested to go on the cruise.

Proof of the pudding right here. For as much as I said before we'd never fly in the day of the cruise, circumstances were against us this weekend and we're doing it now! We're sitting in the airport in Indianapolis waiting to board for Miami and then a shuttle ride to Fort Lauderdale to get on the Oasis. She leaves at 4:30 pm. Right now our plane is delayed and hour and a half and am I sweating bullets? Oh yes I am. What a way to start a cruise! !! NOT.

Wow, hope all goes well and you get to the port on time!

I did it one time flying to London, taking the ships transfer to Southampton, but it was a very stressful day, would not do it again.

Barcelona is a wonderful city, was there last Fall, well worth going at least 2 days early.

I've done it both ways with no problems. And, if you fly with Choice (RCCL flight plan) they will guarantee to get you there or help you get there if there are problems.

We flew in to Venice and went directly to the ship and flew into London and went directly to the ship at Harwich. It is definitely doable. But, of course, if you have time it is best to go ahead of time. We love Barcelona and you'll enjoy a day or two there before your trip.

Getting from the airport to your hotel is really easy. There are plenty of taxis but we hired a private car and it wasn't expensive at all. We found them online "Barcelona airport transfer" and it was great. They were there waiting for us with a sign with our name. Plenty of space for our luggage (because I'd warned them ahead of time). That took away some of my anxiety about being exhausted and confused about how to get to the hotel.

Have a wonderful trip.

Even on a cruise out of the US I fly in at least the night before.

For my 7/1 cruise, my flight to BCN takes off the night of 6/28 - lands 6/29. That day will be pretty chill with just a flamenco show in the early evening (I do best if I just stay up and then go to bed early the first night). Then the next day I'm doing a couple of tours with Rainbow Barcelona. Then the 1st I can sleep in a little (haha - like that will happen) and get on board the ship!

You're going overseas! To a new city!! Take some time to explore! Get a good guide book and map - or book a tour with one of the multitude of companies! Learn about where you're going and enjoy it!!

I also agree with the other posters. Go a day early, relax and enjoy The beauty of Barcelona. Mar rive at the port refreshed and ready for a fabulous cruise!

Have fun!

I did it but arrived at 8:30 am from LAX toBarcelona. The only negative is you lose time to adjust to jet lag so we were in bed early that first night. If you have no choice it can be done,but if time and money are not an issues I would extend your stay.

The French ATC have recently been on strike. Loads of flights delayed flying over French airspace. It happens too often in European countries during the summer. I would never travel that long distance arriving the day of sailing. Arrive a day before and chill.

I live in Florida and can drive to any of the ports. Even so, Tampa is the only port I drive to the same day as cruise -- it is less than 90 minutes. If I leave from Ft. Lauderdale, Miami or Port Canaveral, I go the day before and stay in a hotel near the port. If nothing else, it is more relaxing to have dinner out and relax in the morning before going to the port. The several hours of driving from the west coast of Florida gives opportunity for car or traffic issues. Going the day before gives considerable cushion. No stress!