Time to kill in Orlando before flight

E&B

We're on a 3pm flight out of MCO after our cruise. Our plan is to get off the ship, find a place for a sit-down breakfast near the port and then make our way toward Orlando. We don't want to spend too much time sitting in the airport though. Any ideas of things close to MCO we can do to kill time if we don't hit any major traffic on the way? We thought maybe window shopping at Downtown Disney, but not sure how easy it is to get in and out and how far from MCO. It's been years since we were anywhere near Disney.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

You don't have a huge amount of time, and traffic can be very bad to/from the theme parks. The Florida Mall is close and the Millenia Mall is a bit farther, but I've been stuck in traffic at Millenia too.

I assume you are driving a rental not taking a taxi.

In that case. Portside Gallery over near the old Ron Jon's, now Holiday Inn Resort, is a good breakfast place close to port without heading down to Cocoa Beach. Go early though, they open at 6 or 6:30A. Campers from Jettystone and locals tend to head here and they run out of things later in their day.

Lots of chain places along International Drive if you wanted to grab a quick bite on the ship then head to Downtown Disney. Not my fav, but any Waffle House is the quintessential Southern breakfast spot. It's about 25 miles from the airport to Downtown Disney. About a half hour drive, but give yourselves at least 45 minutes to an hour in case traffic is heavy. And depending on time of year security lines at MCO can be long. I'd recommend turning in the rental by 1PM if you have a 3PM flight.

Grills in the port is open for breakfast .... often talked about for dinner it certainly has the best view of your breakfast options

and with your time I'd recommend Florida Mall - it is the nearest to the airport and you'll quickly realize that it is VERY popular with out of towners . . . WARNING - recent changes on SR-528 have made the exits to get to this mall electronic only as I understand the press releases ... you can get to/from airport to the mall staying OFF 528 but having the Sunpass option on the rental might be a good idea if heading here

and for the record Downtown Disney Orlando no longer exists! It is now Disney Springs

https://www.disneysprings.com

Edited by Capt_BJ

I would have breakfast on the ship then head to Orlando and have lunch later at the mall.

If you have breakfast off the ship it will be later and you may not be hungry for lunch before you board.

By the time you land you'll be starved.

Edited by BlueHerons

Great idea BH.

There are tons of places, local and chains around the mall.

E&B, try La Madeline in the Mall They have really good soups and saladas and pastas. And if you're really hungry or want to fill up before flying, their paella is great. Also Ugrean's salad bar. A really fresh built your own salad place. Just a short distance from the mall is Tati's Peruvian. and the Nordstroms has a café.

• 1 month later...

This is great...we have an evening flight out of Orlando to Canada after our cruise (it was the 7pm flight or 11 am...didn't want to cut it close). I am thinking booking a rental car from Port Canaveral is the most cost effective as then we don't have to find somewhere to store our luggage in Orlando.

Disney Springs it is! No time to go into Disney World itself and not worth the cost. Anywhere else interesting to spend the day in Orlando?

No one mentioned the Outlet Malls along IDrive. Having lived in Orlando for many years my choice would be the Outlets. Second choice would probably be Florida Mall as it is closest to airport. Would not waste time driving to Disney as I4 can be a real nightmare. If you are outdoor folks, Bass Pro Shop on IDrive is awesome.DHs favorite when we go to Orlando for appointments.

If you have kids then the Crayon Experience and American Girl in the Florida Mall are fun otherwise it is just another mall.

There are lots to see and do along international Drive between Wet'NWild and SeaWorld - close enough to the airport with several options to bypass traffic if any. The Titanic Experience, I-Drive 360, Sea Life Aquarium and various places to eat and play on this one stretch of road.

There are tons of places, local and chains around the mall. <snip> and the Nordstroms has a café.

If you're talking about the Florida Mall, Nordstrom closed a few years ago. It's been replaced by the Crayola Experience referenced by the PP.