Houston Hobby arrival on day of cruise

I'm considering a Southwest flight that arrives at 12:20 pm. Our cruise ship is scheduled to leave at 4:30. Do I have enough time to easily make the ship?

You don't have much margin for delay. You must be checked-in by 3pm. You will be lucky to be out of the airport by 1pm. Figure 45-60 minutes to the ship, assuming no waiting for transportation, you're getting there around 2pm.

I strongly suggest you arrive the day before, or at the very least on an earlier flight.

The 12:20 flight was the earliest flight available. Looks like we will be flying in the day before. I was trying to avoid returning to the airport to catch the shuttle to Galveston. Thanks for the responses.

We can drive to Ft Lauderdale in five hours, but we always go at least one day early. For Europe at least 3 days early. Southwest is great, but they can't control everything. Having your nerves shot and your stomach in knots is no way to start a blissful vacation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I'm on the same cruise in July. I pondered the same situation.

I did some research.

The trip from Hobby to the port is an hour, barring any traffic or other problems like a late arriving flight. It's really cutting it tight, plus you have to hope everything goes as planned without delays. What happens if a bag gets lost and the soonest it will be delivered is later that evening?

We opted to come into Hobby the evening before (6pm) and stay at a local hotel with an free airport shuttle. We have transport picking us up at 10:30 the next morning for a port arrival around 11:30-noon with a short store stop on the way.

We just felt it was not worth the stress if something went wrong.

The 12:20 flight was the earliest flight available. Looks like we will be flying in the day before. I was trying to avoid returning to the airport to catch the shuttle to Galveston. Thanks for the responses.

There are several shuttle operators that will pick up at the local hotels. Search and you'll find a bunch. That way you don't have to go back to the airport.

But, if you're staying at a hotel with a free airport shuttle, it won't cost you anything to get back there.

Have you checked Galveston Express? They are very reliable. I agree with all others....I would not fly in the day of at 12:20. Either take Galveston express shuttle to a Galveston Hotel the day before, or use a hotel in HOU area with complimentary airport shuttle, and take a earlier Galveston express shuttle to the ship.:)I'm doing this next weekend!:D

Edited by cruising grandma

Why don't you get a hotel or Airbnb for the night?

Flying from the West Coast on the day of the cruise is risky. Since you live in the Bay Area, check Southwest flights the day before. Oakland to Hobby has a couple non-stops. We are flying OAK-HOU non-stop both ways. Staying near the airport the night before. We have used cruise transfers ($32 per person per way) and were happy. This year we plan to rent a car for the week and park near the ship. The return flight is late and we wanted to explore Galveston on the return.

Flying from the West Coast on the day of the cruise is risky. Since you live in the Bay Area, check Southwest flights the day before. Oakland to Hobby has a couple non-stops. We are flying OAK-HOU non-stop both ways. Staying near the airport the night before. We have used cruise transfers ($32 per person per way) and were happy. This year we plan to rent a car for the week and park near the ship. The return flight is late and we wanted to explore Galveston on the return.

We booked the nonstops as well! OAK-> HOU. We are going in 2 nights early to play in Galveston though. It looks like a fun resort town. Not as fun as New Orleans......but closer to California cruisers!:D

We plan to use a private shuttle to arrive, and had planned an after cruise excursion and cruise line transfer to Johnson Space Center on the way back for our late flight return.

But so far they are only showing a post cruise excursion to that Bush (IAH)airport. :D

I would not do this.

I would try to fly in the day before because if your flight is cancelled or delayed you can miss the cruise.

For your specific flight to me it is way to risky knowing you have to be on the ship 90 minutes before departure and knowing that it is a long drive to the port. I would never do this.

Keith

I would certainly not risk it. I live in the area close to hobby airport. They are currently doing construction on I45 south of hobby. Around that time of day you will run into multiple delays in your route and even possibly road closures.

We will be going out of Galveston Next year with friends and plan on staying in Galveston the night before, based upon others reviews, I am sure we will book with Galveston Express for the ride to our Hotel then Hotel shuttle to the cruise port. This will be our first time out of Galveston. Looking at possible flights, we can go PSP through PHX or Den to IAH.

Hi, Spring! How's it going?:) I'll be flying to HOU next Saturday and cruising on Liberty b2b, then home a week and John and I doing Brilliance TA.

Looks like you will be getting off as I board. Will up date this if new info comes out before next week, I am off to Amsterdam Monday but will be back Friday.

Consider staying on Galveston Island. We flew into Hobby ( our flight was delayed by 45 mins) Got on a shuttle and went to Galveston Island. Stayed at the Harbor House. It was amazing. But there are other places to stay as well. We really enjoyed Galveston Island. Our shuttle was Galveston Express. We loved Galveston Island and will go back.

Edited by jrmende63

Galveston is a nice town to visit the night or two before a cruise. There's live music at various places, great restaurants, ferry to the Bolivar Peninsula and just a nice beachy town. Lived in Houston all my life and I-45 has been under construction my entire life. Seriously. Driving to Galveston can take an hour or 3 hours - depending on traffic, road construction and events. I wouldn't cut it that close!

Cheers!

We will be going out of Galveston Next year with friends and plan on staying in Galveston the night before, based upon others reviews, I am sure we will book with Galveston Express for the ride to our Hotel then Hotel shuttle to the cruise port. This will be our first time out of Galveston. Looking at possible flights, we can go PSP through PHX or Den to IAH.

No chance of flying to HOU? IAH is probably 90 minutes (or more) from Galveston with more potential for traffic issues.