How Many Regular Posters here are TA's?

sail7seas

Curious.......How many of our regular posters here are TA's? I know a few have identified themselves but I don't now remember who they were.

I wonder if we have many 'from their home' TA's? My TA is asking me to do that. Work with/for them but I could do any work I want from home if I'd rather than go to his office.

I keep saying "no" but sometimes I think maybe. :)

I'm not a TA but thinking more and more about becoming one or at least working in the area, like from home. My brick and mortar TA has a small website for her clients and we're talking about me taking that over for her and, at the same time, starting to learn the business. It's just a thought right now, not a decision. After working for 42 years with 3 more to go I'm thinking I don't want to do anything more complicated than mowing my lawn or washing my car.

S7S--

Can I be a 'work from home" TA?

I'm always selling cruises, but never getting commissions...

:cool:

:) That's what my TA has been saying to me for ages. He (they in his office) know I help so many people with all sorts of cruise (travel in general) questions and suggestions that he thinks I'm silly to not start doing it for pay. I enjoy it so much when it's conversations and suggestions for friends and acquaintances but I don't even want to do my own travel booking so hesitate about committing to doing it for others.

I'm also really interested about people in Canada. Does Canada have many 'at home' cruise consultants/bookers/TA's? Same as in the States? Are most of Canadian TA's brick and mortar small business or very large chains?

I think there may be one or two Canadian TA's who post here ....at least that is what I've been told. I think it would be very interesting to compare if things are done the same in U.S. as in Canada or somewhat differently.

I should be selling on the side from home, because I dispense so much free information and advice to friends/family/work associates.

I think the best bet is to hook up with one of the many large on-line agencies who hire outside sales associates. That way you have access to their group blocks of space, competitive pricing, etc. A friend of ours used to run a home based agency on the side, but was completely independant. Because they weren't aligned with a large agency, they didn't have much access to competitve pricing. Often times when they booked a cruise for themselves, they would go through another agency because the price was so much better than what they could get as independants.

Lastly, we reside in a town that has a thriving downtown. Very heavy foot traffic. Just last week while stolling downtown, we noticed a brick-and-mortar agency had closed it's doors. The sign on the window said they were still in business, however, only now working from home. It went on to say that with email, the Internet, e-ticketing, etc, etc, they had very little foot traffic into their office. It no longer made sense for them to pay the high overhead costs to rent premium storefront property. No doubt home based businesses in the travel industry are a sleeping giant......

Sail, This is all my opinion. I could never really give you advice, so just take this for what it's worth to you.

Doing something you love, as a job, is very different from doing it because you want to.

When it's a job, it is A Job. That means that if you don't feel like it that day or week, you still have to do it. If you don't like the individual, you still have to do it. If you don't like the idea of their cruise, you still have to do it.

Even if you do something you love, it changes so many things.

If I may tell a personal story here, my dh was a jeweler/designer for many years. He just loved his work and even enjoyed that his artistic, creative, and technical skills and abilities were tested every moment. You could say it was the perfect job for him, but we always wondered if it would have been better for him to have had a perfectly normal office job and done the jewelery making as a hobby. This might be the same for you. susana.

Doing something you love, as a job, is very different from doing it because you want to.

When it's a job, it is A Job. That means that if you don't feel like it that day or week, you still have to do it. If you don't like the individual, you still have to do it. If you don't like the idea of their cruise, you still have to do it.

I tend to agree. Keep a hobby a hobby. Once it's a job, all too often the passion falls by the wayside...

Becoming an At-Home TA was all the rage a few years ago, just like being a Part-time Real Estate broker and thinking one could work only around the children's school schedules. LOL. If you are going to do a sales job like either of these, because that is what they are, you had better be prepared to work whenever the client wants you to work or forget it.

Sail - I am what they call an "outside contractor TA". I had retired after many years in the public school system, but still wanted to work. I had done quite a bit of travelling and cruising, and was hired by a brick & mortar travel agency in 1999, where I worked full-time. I worked there until June of 2003 (Thanks, 9/11!) , when our particular office closed down, but we were still affiliated with the main office, who maintains several branch offices. At that time, I had dozens of summer bookings pending (Honeymoons, family vacations, graduation trips, etc.) and had no choice but to work out of my home. I had to upgrade my computer, pay for a booking program, buy a fax machine, and get a cell phone (fax was on the land-line). I also had to pay out-of-pocket for mailers, envelopes, postage ($$$!), and other materials to get these bookings, payments, and trip documents in order for my clients. I did this for about seven months. I had to sign a contract with our "home office" about commission splits, TA insurance, etc. I then took a full-time job in Jan of 2004, but still do TA work at home. I'm pretty selective, though, and mainly book long-time clients, as well as local groups. I have an active IATAN card, but to keep this, I have to bring in a certain amount of commission to the agency each year. Last year, I booked two local high school's Senior Trips (about 120 people) and basically worked my butt off! Yes, I can write off the cost of supplies as far as taxes, but I have to buy those supplies when they are needed. I also have to submit Quarterly Tax Returns, as my monthly commissions are gross, and no taxes are witheld. It all sounds very "glamorous" and there are definitely some "perks" involved, but you have to be willing to work hard to insure that all goes will with your clients. I also pay out-of-pocket for onboard gifts and shipboard credits. I'm just trying to be honest with my own experiences.

I am so happy I started this thread and so appreciative for all of your responses. They have been extremely helpful and have convinced me my 'instincts' were correct......Keep my love of cruising and travel as my avocation. Thankfully, I don't have to work. So......why set myself up for some nightmare.

I sincerely thank you Trubey, Beav and Imsulin and everyone for your very helpful posts.

Now......I can focus on getting our packing started for our upcoming Volendam cruise and not have to fret if I should or should not get involved in this TA stuff.

I am stiff interested to hear from you Canadians though. It is something I have wondered about.

Thanks again.

Brian, you could sell ice cream to a snowman. :-)

Ed

Awwww - Thanks Ed...;)

Did you like your ice cream? :D

This past cruise, everyone in my group was so busy running their own businesses that I ended up booking everything for them! In addition to the cruise itself, I booked R/T air, hotels (pre and post-cruise), limos, reserved a table for dinner w/ the Maitre'd, etc...

I should have rented tuxedo's for my friends too (if I'd known their sizes) because amazingly, they couldn't manage to get that one thing done before the trip! Fortunately the ladies in the Neptune helped intercede on our behalf to get them set up after we boarded.

I did limit myself: I refused to book shore excursions. I let them take care of that themselves (I agreed to show up w/ my camera, look pretty and not complain...) :cool:

Awwww - Thanks Ed...;)

Did you like your ice cream? :D

This past cruise, everyone in my group was so busy running their own businesses that I ended up booking everything for them! In addition to the cruise itself, I booked R/T air, hotels (pre and post-cruise), limos, reserved a table for dinner w/ the Maitre'd, etc...

I should have rented tuxedo's for my friends too (if I'd known their sizes) because amazingly, they couldn't manage to get that one thing done before the trip! Fortunately the ladies in the Neptune helped intercede on our behalf to get them set up after we boarded.

I did limit myself: I refused to book shore excursions. I let them take care of that themselves (I agreed to show up w/ my camera, look pretty and not complain...) :cool:

And this is why you are the Dam Party Person for the Hal-O-Ween Dam Cruise.

I am so happy I started this thread and so appreciative for all of your responses. They have been extremely helpful and have convinced me my 'instincts' were correct......Keep my love of cruising and travel as my avocation. Thankfully, I don't have to work. So......why set myself up for some nightmare.

I have a thought.

I forget what they call it ... but why not be the person who refers business to the agency and then let the agency do the work of booking the trip. You won't make as much in commissions, but such an arrangement would allow you to share your love of cruising with others, and still make a few bucks that can be used to cruise a couple of extra times each year. :)

You could also probably even set up some group trips ... maybe built around a theme of interest to you and your friends, refer the group to your agency for the actual booking work, and then earn your berths for free.

Kinda gives you the best of both worlds ...

Blue skies ...

--rita

I cannot say for sure that there are not at-home TA's here in Canada, I personally do not know of any. I do think that we have some laws or rules, whatever you want to call them, regarding the business of being a TA. There is insurance that all legimate TA's pay that protects the purchaser if they go bankrupt. I'm sure, like myself, who love to tell people about their travels and try to assist them, but I don't think many really are in the business of being a TA. I really would like to do it too, but don't have the connections necessary to be one.

I cannot say for sure that there are not at-home TA's here in Canada, I personally do not know of any. I do think that we have some laws or rules, whatever you want to call them, regarding the business of being a TA. There is insurance that all legimate TA's pay that protects the purchaser if they go bankrupt. I'm sure, like myself, who love to tell people about their travels and try to assist them, but I don't think many really are in the business of being a TA. I really would like to do it too, but don't have the connections necessary to be one.

Thanks, Board. It's good to know there are laws requiring protection for the customers.

It's hard to believe that not a single Canadian TA comes to this Board but I guess maybe they wish to remain unidentified for whatever reason...too bad. I think it's good we have U.S. Travel Agents who (openly and honestly) identify themselves.

They may come to read it just like I do, but I can see no useful purpose they could use it for that would help them. When I talk to my TA she doesn't sound like she even looks at this site. I don't really know for sure or why, but her responses seem to indicate this. When I purpose a cruise and I give her the information I have gain, she checks it out and usually comes up with the same price. I have tried other agents, with the same result. So somehow we must have a different system or something than US. They won't barter for a price, the quote is it. At least that is my experience.

I believe Sue has provided some great "think about this" information for those who would look to running their own agency from home. It's certainly doable, but any home-based job is not the perfect set-up it might appear to be on the surface.

On the hobby vs. job point, I have a friend who loves flying. I flew hot air balloons for 14 years with him. He started flying choppers in Viet Nam in the Army, then was in the Air National Guard for many years flying everything they had. People often asked him why he was just a "weekend warrior" and not flying commercial airliners. He noted that if he did that, it would be a job and not nearly so much fun. I'm thinking being a home-based TA might be the same thing.

Sail,

Actually I think you would make a great T/A :) you have been to soooooooo many places and God knows you love travel, especially cruiseing.

You have always been so generous with your advice and knowledge. I am sure many here (myself included) have thought more than once that you would be a great T/A.

I also understand the other poster who said a "job is a job" . There is a big difference between enjoying helping friends pick vacations in a social setting and "having to do it every day from 9 to 5 or whatever for strangers. Of course only you would know exactly how much that would appeal to you.

Actually I am very glad you started this topic:)

I am forunate enough to be in a job that will allow to retire with a decent pension at the age of 47. Which will be here a lot sooner than I care for it to be ( turning 47 that is, not retirement) *LOL*

Of course that will be too young for me to just "do nothing" but I figure between my pension and my wifes salary and me doing some other gainful employment this can be a good thing.

I was seriously considering somethinmg like T/A or Realty. So this has been a very interesting topic for me.

Now remember if you do take the job. 50% discounts and automatic upgrades for all CCers *LOL*

Sail,

I also understand the other poster who said a "job is a job" . There is a big difference between enjoying helping friends pick vacations in a social setting and "having to do it every day from 9 to 5 or whatever for strangers. Of course only you would know exactly how much that would appeal to you.

Actually I am very glad you started this topic:)

I am fortunate enough to be in a job that will allow to retire with a decent pension at the age of 47. Which will be here a lot sooner than I care for it to be ( turning 47 that is, not retirement) *LOL*

Of course that will be too young for me to just "do nothing" but I figure between my pension and my wifes salary and me doing some other gainful employment this can be a good thing.

I was seriously considering something like T/A or Realty. So this has been a very interesting topic for me.

Now remember if you do take the job. 50% discounts and automatic upgrades for all CCers *LOL*

I retired from the "Airline" Travel Business after more than thirty years & had wonderful travel benefits for my entire family..In the 70's was offered a job to open & manage a branch agency by a large NY tour operator.. Thank goodness I turned it down...(Also loved my job!) Never in a million years would I become a travel agent..

The travel business is constantly changing & a good agent is on call "round the clock", in case of an emergency with a client..You would be amazed at what some some clients expect their agents to do!...In the Airline Industry we had enough trouble trying to keep up-dated on Air Fares & schedules..When the Airlines decided to cut their commissions, many agents went bankrupt, because all they depended on was their Airline Commissions/Overrides..They could not see the changes coming in the travel business..They were not good agents!

Good Tvl. Agents keep updated in all aspects of the travel industry, by constantly reading, surfing the Internet, going to meetings, etc., to the daily changes in the industry..In addition they must maintain the other things mentioned by "imsulin" & many agents...In their spare time they have to "pound the pavement" in order to sell their products..They do not have the option of dealing with one client at a time..In order to make any $$ you will be involved with many clients at the same time..I have the up-most respect for Good Agents..

Babyher, what makes you think that when you retire you will

"do nothing" :( We're as busy now as we were when we went to "work"; in volunteer organizations & into lots of other things (not for $$$)..Often wish that I had just one day a week to just "do nothing"!..LOL

We leave on a cruise in three weeks & haven't had time to get our packing lists finished..Hopefully can start after this weekend!

Happy cruising everyone..:)

p.s. Good Real Estate Agents in our area also work 24/7

The hardest thing about a job like a TA is that, though one knows a lot about one or 2 cruiselines and knows what they like personally, they have to know a lot about a lot of different types of cruiselines, itineraries, styles of cruising and cabins from the top down to the bottom and be able to fit all if this for each client. It takes time and also experiencing different kinds of travel from your norm. It's like real estate, interior decorating and any sales job where you have to fit the product to the client's wishes. It has little to do with your own favorite things. It's work.

Archived