Aft cabin on Oosterdam

british betty

It was last November to the Southern Caribbean. You're right, I don't like to complain about the stewards either and this was our first bad experience and yes, it did affect our cruise.

The exhaust was stinky. I had experienced ash before but that wasn't a problem compared to stink. We were just disappointed in the ship in too many ways to recommend it. There was sewer waif on the top deck. Hopefully, that issue was addressed during dry dock.

There were no sail away parties, just piped in overly loud music. We enjoyed the ports but not the ship.

I hope you find what you are looking for. I don't want to sour you on cruising but it's sure not what it used to be.

we've always chosen aft cabins (12 x's) and the last cruise on oosterdam, deck 6 was bad. stinky exhaust, worst steward ever. We had to get our own ice and he couldn't open a wine bottle. ( I showed him how to use the wine opener). I hope you have a better experience.

I'm looking forward to my first aft cabin on deck 5 of the Oosterdam. Hope I don't have to deal with stinky exhaust!

Your post reminded me of the one time I was disappointed in a steward - and he was on the Oosterdam! He also wouldn't bring extra ice. Maybe it was the same guy? Hope I don't encounter him again. Or if I do, I will escalate the ice issue.

I'm looking forward to my first aft cabin on deck 5 of the Oosterdam. Hope I don't have to deal with stinky exhaust!

Your post reminded me of the one time I was disappointed in a steward - and he was on the Oosterdam! He also wouldn't bring extra ice. Maybe it was the same guy? Hope I don't encounter him again. Or if I do, I will escalate the ice issue.

I think you are on our cruise July 23rd to August 4th! we are on deck 4. I am hoping the farther down we are from the stacks the less exhaust smell there will be!

I think you are on our cruise July 23rd to August 4th! we are on deck 4. I am hoping the farther down we are from the stacks the less exhaust smell there will be!

We have been on the Zuiderdam and Oosterdam in deck 4 stern cabins. Because deck 4 is at the absolute rear of the ship, when you stand at the railing of your balcony and look down, all you see is the prop-wash and water. Stern cabins on decks 5, 6, 7 & 8, look partially down on the balconies below them, due to the tiered structure. We always choose deck 4 on Vista class ships. Being so far down from the stacks, we have never seen crud or smells from them.

We have been on the Zuiderdam and Oosterdam in deck 4 stern cabins. Because deck 4 is at the absolute rear of the ship, when you stand at the railing of your balcony and look down, all you see is the prop-wash and water. Stern cabins on decks 5, 6, 7 & 8, look partially down on the balconies below them, due to the tiered structure. We always choose deck 4 on Vista class ships. Being so far down from the stacks, we have never seen crud or smells from them.

Thank you so much for the information. I was so worried about this, but you have put my mind at ease and I can relax and look forward to the cruise now!

Be aware that the window washing equipment is along the side of the deck 4 aft-wrap cabins. Not a huge deal IMO, but you should know this upfront. Look at some photos of the Vista ships and you will see what I mean.

Be aware that the window washing equipment is along the side of the deck 4 aft-wrap cabins. Not a huge deal IMO, but you should know this upfront. Look at some photos of the Vista ships and you will see what I mean.

Thank you for the heads up We cannot afford the corner suites so it won't be a concern for us - LOL. Looking at the pictures - you are correct - it doesn't look like it would be a big deal for those in the suites.

• 1 month later...

Can anyone please tell me if the size of the balcony on these corner suites on Oosterdam are pretty much the same. We've had the S aft wrap on deck 5 on Zuiderdam ( I think it was SB 5190 or 5191) and just fell in love with it. I'ts hard for me to see if they are the same size. Thanks!:)

Can anyone please tell me if the size of the balcony on these corner suites on Oosterdam are pretty much the same. We've had the S aft wrap on deck 5 on Zuiderdam ( I think it was SB 5190 or 5191) and just fell in love with it. I'ts hard for me to see if they are the same size. Thanks!:)

We have been in these staterooms on both the Zuiderdam and Oosterdam. The Oosterdam is about two feet less in length.