Labadee, cautionary tale...

Yeah that's sad too because it used to be kind of a refreshing change from cruise food. Now it's sort of like carried it in from the ship so it's just cruise food that's old. We still eat it, but it's becoming less appealing.

Tom

That's the understatement of the century.

That was not only the worst food we had that week by far, but it really was some of the worst I've ever had.

I've been to many places where there are pushy merchants and they are all the same. You ignore them and keep moving. When I do want something I tell them what I'm willing to pay and they either agree or I move on.

That being said, Labadee takes it to another level. Still my wife and I walked through without incident. Sure, everyone is yelling to stop by their shop and some are even offering drugs. But, as long as your walk and talk with confidence and purpose they won't view you as a typical tourist who they can pressure.

Edited by lv2bcruzin

We also think the open air markets are way too pushy & aggressive. We would shop there i we would be left alone, but they can't seem to understand that. We only shop in Carlos' building. They aren't pushy in our experience.

Same here! There has been things I would of bought on islands if not followed around pushing items on us. I had t-shirts in hand was planning on buying, while still looking the sales person would not stop picking up things every minute to show me. After a few minutes of that i put the t-shirts back and left.

Yeah that's sad too because it used to be kind of a refreshing change from cruise food. Now it's sort of like carried it in from the ship so it's just cruise food that's old. We still eat it, but it's becoming less appealing.

Tom

All food served at cruise line private stops is always brought from the ship; you were never sampling local foods at Labadee, CocoCay, Princess Cays, Great Stirrup Cay, Half Moon Cay, etc...

Hmmm. OK, I thought back in the day they used to cook it locally. I've seen them at the grills. Maybe they were just warming it up. Whatever, it's still not as good as it used to be.

Tom

All food served at cruise line private stops is always brought from the ship; you were never sampling local foods at Labadee, CocoCay, Princess Cays, Great Stirrup Cay, Half Moon Cay, etc...

That was not only the worst food we had that week by far, but it really was some of the worst I've ever had.

I agree. I thought they were going to bring down the whole Windjammer to Labadee, but those ribs were horrible. The dessert was ok.

The sad part is that just outside the property, there is people dreaming on having just a small piece of that food. That could be material for those cruel liberal documentaries: Haitians starving, while people right behind a wall are complaining and wasting food from a opulent cruise ship.

And the flies landing on it make it even more appealing.

Funny thing is, the people who find this food good are the same ones who would probably be up in arms and posting on CC about the horrible decline in food if the same type of food were served aboard the ship. I guess that being penned up in RCI's compound somehow makes the food good? :rolleyes:

A visit to India or many of the poorer Arabian or African countries might open some peoples' eyes regarding the "hard sell" in Labadee...........

Never mind developing nations, the street vendors and beggars in Rome are as aggressive as anything we encountered in the Caribbean or Bahamas.

Yeah, I guess like so many things we talk about here, this is a First World Problem... No doubt about that.

Tom

I agree. I thought they were going to bring down the whole Windjammer to Labadee, but those ribs were horrible. The dessert was ok.

The sad part is that just outside the property, there is people dreaming on having just a small piece of that food. That could be material for those cruel liberal documentaries: Haitians starving, while people right behind a wall are complaining and wasting food from a opulent cruise ship.

And the flies landing on it make it even more appealing.

Funny thing is, the people who find this food good are the same ones who would probably be up in arms and posting on CC about the horrible decline in food if the same type of food were served aboard the ship. I guess that being penned up in RCI's compound somehow makes the food good? :rolleyes:

Ugh, the flies made me walk away and get back on the ship. The food was covered with them, it was just disgusting.

Ugh, the flies made me walk away and get back on the ship. The food was covered with them, it was just disgusting.

Ugh - yes! We go back on the ship to eat. It's very relaxing, no lines and we get a chance to engage with the staff more than usual.

A few years ago we went to Labadee for our first visit from the Mariner. We were some of the first passengers to debark. Guy comes up besides us wanting to offer a 'tour'of the area. He would not take no for an answer until we said we had no money.

It did not end there. We wanted to grab a chair ourselves from a pile and were confronted by the 'chair guys' who insisted they had to take a chair to where we wanted. Again, we had no cash on us. Wife was in tears at all of this aggression. We had no issues in any other ports including Jamaica. RCI continues to make their private Labadee area a 'free for all' with these people who are very aggressive and hard to avoid. I would of thought positive changes would of happened at this point years later.

Edited by coaster

Hmmm. OK, I thought back in the day they used to cook it locally. I've seen them at the grills. Maybe they were just warming it up. Whatever, it's still not as good as it used to be.

Tom

They cook it there but all the food comes off the ship

Labadee is one of our favorite stops...was just there last week. The vendors are aggressive, but I still venture back there and do some shopping to help out the local economy. The beach is fantastic, but you do have to pick a good place to spend your time. We were there after the earthquake a few years back and RCCL does a fantastic job supporting the local economy and schools...I hope they continue to visit there for a long time. I do agree, that someone has to talk to the local vendors in an attempt to 'TONE THEM DOWN'.