Labadee, cautionary tale...

Further into the vendor stands were the "artists" and one told me that his daughter was going to be very upset if I didn't buy one of her paintings and my response was "well, your daughter is going to be pissed because I am not buying anything" :D

Although this was probably meant to be a serious thread...

Your comment is making me chuckle, 'cause that's pretty much the response he'd have gotten from me! ;)

I took the jetski (waverunner as they call it) tour in Labadee, it was a group of about 12 people, plus two guides. The guide drove us to a bay on the south part of the complex, out of sight from the ship, where some locals, about four, were waiting for us in kayaks selling wooden made crafts. One of the sellers approached and showed me a kind of totem, very exotic, but I told him that nobody was carrying money (it was a water activity). So he offered his craft in exchange for my watch, a cheap used Casio. I saw desperation in his eyes, but I declined the offer. Despite they were not aggressive, I felt some what uncomfortable of being there watching those guys trying to get at least a dollar. I have no idea if somebody has purchased something from them, but it's hard to sell something when most of people is not carrying cash. But it's Haiti, that's probably the best or only chance they have to earn some money.

I did the jet ski excursion on Labadee also but did not buy anything when we went to that area. I don't know the logistics of how it actually worked but you can pay for the items you purchase from them when you get back at the end of the excursion. If you purchase something large from them it will be waiting for you and somehow you pay for it then because you can't carry some of the larger items they had for sale on the jet ski.

As far as the open vendor area, I am sure that is intimidating for some but I enjoy the challenge of haggling with them. The can call out to you all they want but there was a yellow line I believe in front of their booths that they were not allow to come across to harass you but if you cross that line into their area it was game time! You have to know how to haggle with them outside that line until you see something you want then just mosey on in! :cool:

We too have done the jet skis now 3 times in total.

And every time on the second to the last leg of the trip back you go into the alcove and the kayak locals come out.

The last time we were told by them to purchase and when you get back to the beach you could get money and give it to the attendant at the jet ski check in.

I felt sorry for them, but one of them wanted $15 for a shell bracelet.

We told them no, and just kept away from them as best we could.

Poverty is obvious here.

Like I posted earlier we do buy some stuff from the locals, and usually at the building from the vendors.

Safe travels.

I took the jetski (waverunner as they call it) tour in Labadee, it was a group of about 12 people, plus two guides. The guide drove us to a bay on the south part of the complex, out of sight from the ship, where some locals, about four, were waiting for us in kayaks selling wooden made crafts. One of the sellers approached and showed me a kind of totem, very exotic, but I told him that nobody was carrying money (it was a water activity). So he offered his craft in exchange for my watch, a cheap used Casio. I saw desperation in his eyes, but I declined the offer. Despite they were not aggressive, I felt some what uncomfortable of being there watching those guys trying to get at least a dollar. I have no idea if somebody has purchased something from them, but it's hard to sell something when most of people is not carrying cash. But it's Haiti, that's probably the best or only chance they have to earn some money.

Reading through this thread, I was thinking about the waverunners, so thank you to the previous posters who brought it up.

Not only are the kayak sellers approved or permitted by Royal, they are encouraged by the guides! "On our next stop, we'll be visiting the water mall. Vendors on kayaks will approach so you can make a purchase." As stated before, it's said that if you don't have money you can just pay back at the dock.

Nothing ever caught my eye, so usually a firm, "No thank you," worked. One trip I remember they were a little more harassing before they paddled away. Regardless, I've always felt that the guides must be in an awkward position to have to encourage their riders to shop. I'm sure they wouldn't do it, and it wouldn't be an official stop on the tour if the activity wasn't sanctioned by Royal.

Whenever I read threads about the aggressive vendors and how Royal ought to do something about it, I chuckle. Of course Royal isn't going to do anything about it. They encourage them to there! It's probably part of the lease and usage agreements designed to spur the local economy.

I've got nothing against people trying to make a living in whatever culture they live. If Royal wants to provide the opportunity for the locals to benefit from the steady stream of guests, that's fine. It's more traffic than they'd otherwise get if they set up a craft booth in their own village. But I think it should be an option for guests to choose to frequent if they want to, such as is the way the craft market is set up. Walk through, or not. Your choice. But leading the guests straight into the pack of lions (kayaks) and telling them they should shop is uncomfortable at best.

Again, "No," works, so I know they're not forcing us to buy anything. But for the money spent on a waverunner excursion through the ship, I'd much rather spend the precious minutes flying over the waves or hearing about another scenic stopping point than sitting idle for a sales pitch.

Luckily, there's no "water mall" on the Coco Cay waverunner excursion.

Edited by cruisemeister8

Also of interest, while on the sand bar island excursion from Labadee the boat crew told us that often people from the island will come out in boats and try and sell you fish...not sure what they think we would do with it on a cruise ship but even so. They told us to politely say no and not to encourage their behavior so that maybe they would stop this aggressive selling.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

Wow, I wouldn't have thought the vendors were permitted to eat from the guests' buffet line. They probably are not allowed, but no one stopped them. :o

We were in Labadee last week. The local band playing in one of the picnic pavilions was going from table to table begging people to go through the buffet line and bring them a plate of food.

We were in Labadee last week. The local band playing in one of the picnic pavilions was going from table to table begging people to go through the buffet line and bring them a plate of food.

What a really comfortable situation for RCI to allow its guests to be subject to.

Vendors are out of control, I personally would never go back to Labadee not only because of that but I thought the beach was bad.....guess we picked the wrong beach.

I didn't like Labadee either- think it is a wasted stop - would not get off the ship if there again. Not likely because avoid cruises that stop in Labadee.

I didn't like Labadee either- think it is a wasted stop - would not get off the ship if there again. Not likely because avoid cruises that stop in Labadee.

Couldn't disagree with you more. Been there many times over the last 20 years. Short walk from ship to beach, decent lunch, relatively clean restrooms and all for free. Actually bought a few trinkets from time to time. DW loves to haggle with the locals. If not interested just be firm, smile and move on.

Different strokes for different folks. I've been on 5 Royal cruises, and I only pick them because the go to Labadee.

I am curious though - do you prefer ports with Diamond's International, and a Starbucks?(for example) (I'm not being cheeky - I totally get that some people prefer to have those types of ports).

Reading through this thread, I was thinking about the waverunners, so thank you to the previous posters who brought it up.

Not only are the kayak sellers approved or permitted by Royal, they are encouraged by the guides! "On our next stop, we'll be visiting the water mall. Vendors on kayaks will approach so you can make a purchase." As stated before, it's said that if you don't have money you can just pay back at the dock.

Nothing ever caught my eye, so usually a firm, "No thank you," worked. One trip I remember they were a little more harassing before they paddled away. Regardless, I've always felt that the guides must be in an awkward position to have to encourage their riders to shop. I'm sure they wouldn't do it, and it wouldn't be an official stop on the tour if the activity wasn't sanctioned by Royal.

Whenever I read threads about the aggressive vendors and how Royal ought to do something about it, I chuckle. Of course Royal isn't going to do anything about it. They encourage them to there! It's probably part of the lease and usage agreements designed to spur the local economy.

I've got nothing against people trying to make a living in whatever culture they live. If Royal wants to provide the opportunity for the locals to benefit from the steady stream of guests, that's fine. It's more traffic than they'd otherwise get if they set up a craft booth in their own village. But I think it should be an option for guests to choose to frequent if they want to, such as is the way the craft market is set up. Walk through, or not. Your choice. But leading the guests straight into the pack of lions (kayaks) and telling them they should shop is uncomfortable at best.

Again, "No," works, so I know they're not forcing us to buy anything. But for the money spent on a waverunner excursion through the ship, I'd much rather spend the precious minutes flying over the waves or hearing about another scenic stopping point than sitting idle for a sales pitch.

Luckily, there's no "water mall" on the Coco Cay waverunner excursion.

Wow!. I carefully never made mention of that "water mall" because I understand just how desperate the people in Haiti are and I reasoned that the guides were setting this up without Royal's awareness, especially since it clearly takes place in a spot that's not visible from the docks. And I felt horribly guilty saying no, because there was such a look of desperation in the man's eyes.

When we were in Labadee last March, the vendors in the open air market were very pushy vocally, but had to stay within the area of their booth and could not come out into the walkway. We had to pass through this area to get to Columbus Cove (maybe there is another way?). We had our two teenage daughters (13 &18) with us. I definitely would not be comfortable letting them wander this area alone.

There was one vendor sitting in front of his booth that called out and then said no.pressure to buy. And he did not pressure. He was the only one in the open air market we purchased from. You would think the others would see that!

We did make several purchases in the building area. I do love going to Labadee because it a great beach day.

Although Labadee is " a private island" I consider it as a port of call such as Jamaica. For me the only real private island is coco cay and lately it's full of vendors as well but less pushy and you can avoid them all of you want

I had a similar situation with a vendor at Labadee, I was walking with my group and he was selling me staff and I was walking and saying " no thank you" he was walking by my side for over a minute and all of the sudden he was like " ok take this item free and I leave you alone" as soon as I extended my hand he placed a bracelet in my wrist. He demanded 5$ from me and I was telling him to remove it from my wrist since I only had my sea pass and I didn't want his item. I figured how take it of which I did and I gave it back to him.

So where exactly is this building to shop as I come of the ship?

Thanks. Traveling with 2 elderly ladies and would love for them to shop in peace

I think that building is right when you come out the ship. The problem is when you take the small train and get off at the very last stop and you need to walk by the vendors to get to the beach.

That is always the same and you will also find locals using the beach, but I think Royal is super easy with the rules of you pick the last beach area ( I don't remember the name now) that's where the vendors are aggressive, locals use the beach and the band ask for you. Never had that experience when you stay close to the ship or by the beach next to the zip line

Thanks. Traveling with 2 elderly ladies and would love for them to shop in peace

It's at the bit called the market square from memory - the other traders are round the corner from the big square building and you can avoid easily. The shop when you come off the ship sells mainly sunglasses and swimming stuff with a couple of trinkets, much better selection at the place at the square.

This reminds me of our honeymoon/wedding in Jamaica. My husband is the one who always gets lured into things like this and I have a large box full of carvings to show for it! When we went to a craft market in Negril and they caught wind we were getting married there we were dragged into one hut and they got my husbands name and wedding date, the next thing you know we were surrounded by 20 people all pushing carvings and paintings in our face with our wedding date and names carved in them. We had no choice but to pay up and it cost us over $100. Lesson learned never give your name and avoid markets at all costs! We will be bypassing the markets in Haiti!

I think that building is right when you come out the ship. The problem is when you take the small train and get off at the very last stop and you need to walk by the vendors to get to the beach.

That building is ok. Very little in the way of souveniers.

But the one I think people are referring to is the one closer to Adrenaline beach ---past the hairbraiders and across from the buffet.

It is by the last stop on the tram on the way to the dragons coaster.

Nice local crafts as well as pricier items.

Feel safe here, and there not too pushy.

Enjoy

IMG_3364.jpg

Old map, but accurate enough... You are looking for Building 21 on the map. When you get off the pier, you will go through a gate into "Labadee". Directly in front of you will be a small shop that sells suncreen, etc. That's not the one you want. While just past the gate, turn LEFT, and go through an archway.. now you are on your way to the market. Keep walking, or jump on the free tram (the blue bath shown on the map). The tram's ending spot is right at building 21. - it's perfect.

Inside the building you will find some very good stuff. We bought 50% of our stuff here, and the other 50% in the open air market, which is right past building 21(the yellow path market area 20 on the map). IF you want art work (my weakness) - go into the open air market - all of the artwork is in one big area. These guys are a little less aggressive.

Enjoy!

Edited by Toddcan

Different strokes for different folks. I've been on 5 Royal cruises, and I only pick them because the go to Labadee.

I am curious though - do you prefer ports with Diamond's International, and a Starbucks?(for example) (I'm not being cheeky - I totally get that some people prefer to have those types of ports).

No, I like ports where I can go off an explore the islands like the back side of Aruba with its amazing topography. Then there is Barbados with its incredibly beautiful Harrison's Cave. St. Kitts with the Brimstone Fortress and its incredible views. St. Lucia with its cool (hot) walk in volcano. There is Antigua with Nelson's Dockyard and the Views from Shirley Heights. And at all of them the chances to interact with locals in a more natural environment who are not just trying to separate you from your money.

The last cruise that we did on Oasis we were in Nassau on Sunday so we decided to go to church at the cathedral. People in the church spotted us as visitors and were coming up to us to welcome us to the church. The bishop who was celebrating mass welcomed us as we were going to communion. Those were such cool interations.

Those are the type of ports I like instead of being kept herded up in a fenced in compound.

Come on. You are trying to imply that some people only like westernized ports. And if someone prefers those types of ports that's ok. It's not too much to ask for people to not want to be harassed or scammed by people selling goods. Especially on what equates to a private island that is completely controlled by the cruise line.

Put the merchants in Labadie in perspective. They live in the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere. The few dollars they earn in the market may be the difference between their family's next meal. If that was the case for you would you not also be a little aggressive in selling your wares?

We were there on 3/21 and me and my 11 year old daughter walked through the open air market. Did many of the vendors ask us to look and if we looked we were "swarmed", sure but I nor my daughter ever felt uncomfortable. I ended up buying a hat for $16 that started out at $70 and my daughter got one of those braided bracelets for no charge after I bought the hat. It's what I expect in the third world and it doesn't bother me at all.

How many understand Haiti's plight under the Duvalier's corrupt government. I say give the vendors a break. Get out of your comfort zone. At least I have not got a made in china for Haiti trinket here.

Edited by LeesSummitCruiser1

Put the merchants in Labadie in perspective. They live in the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere. The few dollars they earn in the market may be the difference between their family's next meal. If that was the case for you would you not also be a little aggressive in selling your wares?

I think you have it backwards. Merchants need to know the customers that they are dealing with and how to approach them to get the desired outcome. Customers don't have to learn the ways of the merchants. They can just put their money back in their pockets and leave.

Those are the type of ports I like instead of being kept herded up in a fenced in compound.

+1

We have traveled all over the world, both independently and with organised groups such as cruises. I would not go back to Labadee - it felt to us like a cheap theme park. Probably the only real thing about it is the vendors but I don't think they are doing themselves favours with their behaviour. I thought that RCI was supporting Haiti through Labadee but perhaps they need to give the vendors sales training to increase their sales.

Edited by jenibor