Labadee, cautionary tale...

Reading through this thread, I was thinking about the waverunners, so thank you to the previous posters who brought it up.

Not only are the kayak sellers approved or permitted by Royal, they are encouraged by the guides! "On our next stop, we'll be visiting the water mall. Vendors on kayaks will approach so you can make a purchase." As stated before, it's said that if you don't have money you can just pay back at the dock.

Nothing ever caught my eye, so usually a firm, "No thank you," worked. One trip I remember they were a little more harassing before they paddled away. Regardless, I've always felt that the guides must be in an awkward position to have to encourage their riders to shop. I'm sure they wouldn't do it, and it wouldn't be an official stop on the tour if the activity wasn't sanctioned by Royal.

Whenever I read threads about the aggressive vendors and how Royal ought to do something about it, I chuckle. Of course Royal isn't going to do anything about it. They encourage them to there! It's probably part of the lease and usage agreements designed to spur the local economy.

I've got nothing against people trying to make a living in whatever culture they live. If Royal wants to provide the opportunity for the locals to benefit from the steady stream of guests, that's fine. It's more traffic than they'd otherwise get if they set up a craft booth in their own village. But I think it should be an option for guests to choose to frequent if they want to, such as is the way the craft market is set up. Walk through, or not. Your choice. But leading the guests straight into the pack of lions (kayaks) and telling them they should shop is uncomfortable at best.

Again, "No," works, so I know they're not forcing us to buy anything. But for the money spent on a waverunner excursion through the ship, I'd much rather spend the precious minutes flying over the waves or hearing about another scenic stopping point than sitting idle for a sales pitch.

Luckily, there's no "water mall" on the Coco Cay waverunner excursion.

We go on excursions for the express purpose of not having to deal with obnoxious vendors. If we were forced into a "water mall" on one, I would definitely be letting RCL know my feelings about it when we returned to the ship.

We go on excursions for the express purpose of not having to deal with obnoxious vendors. If we were forced into a "water mall" on one, I would definitely be letting RCL know my feelings about it when we returned to the ship.

Agreed. I don't pay good money to be ushered into a high pressure sales trinket sales pitch.

Although this was probably meant to be a serious thread...

Your comment is making me chuckle, 'cause that's pretty much the response he'd have gotten from me! ;)

HA HA HA. Yea, we still laugh when we talk about that day :D

We were in the Bahamas recently and went through the straw market and I saw a wooden carved kitty. It was cute and we had lost one of our furbabies the day we flew to Fort Lauderdale for the cruise so I picked it up, asked how much and the guy said "I'm not going to say $40" and I responded "well, I'm am going to say $10". We agreed on $15 and I bought it. It's cute and sits on our entertainment center and reminds me of Hymie Timie (kitty who passed away), every time I look at it. :p

Put the merchants in Labadie in perspective. They live in the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere. The few dollars they earn in the market may be the difference between their family's next meal. If that was the case for you would you not also be a little aggressive in selling your wares?

We were there on 3/21 and me and my 11 year old daughter walked through the open air market. Did many of the vendors ask us to look and if we looked we were "swarmed", sure but I nor my daughter ever felt uncomfortable. I ended up buying a hat for $16 that started out at $70 and my daughter got one of those braided bracelets for no charge after I bought the hat. It's what I expect in the third world and it doesn't bother me at all.

How many understand Haiti's plight under the Duvalier's corrupt government. I say give the vendors a break. Get out of your comfort zone. At least I have not got a made in china for Haiti trinket here.

Oh I completely get their perspective, and have zero problem purchasing something to make their life easier...but intimidating a teenager into buying something is a completely different animal. That was just wrong. And again, only a cautionary tale to not let your kids wander alone on the island.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

Different strokes for different folks. I've been on 5 Royal cruises, and I only pick them because the go to Labadee.

I am curious though - do you prefer ports with Diamond's International, and a Starbucks?(for example) (I'm not being cheeky - I totally get that some people prefer to have those types of ports).

I am with you Todd. I have always had an enjoyable time at Labadee.

I always go to the marketplace to buy artwork and never have had any problems. Yes they can be aggressive, but not even close to the point that I felt unsafe or threatened. I always go in the later part of the day. Helps keep the negotiations to a minimum when they know the ship is leaving soon.

I feel bad for some of the people who read this thread and get scared away. If you have been there and decide not to go back, fine. But if you have never been to the marketplace you should go at least once and check it out for yourself. This way you can make your own opinions based upon your own experience and observations. I have one room that is full of lovely Haitian paintings, and they are all from the marketplace in Labadee.

Edited by Zigggypup

I always go to the marketplace to buy artwork and never have had any problems. Yes they can be aggressive, but not even close to the point that I felt unsafe or threatened.

I have. I mentioned it earlier in the thread and this was 2006, so it may not be relevant today. I need to go back and read a few pages from my last post, but I am guessing Royal gives some training and feedback to the people they employ inside the compound. Someone mentioned a few messages ago you would be aggressive if your families next meal depended on it. I have that every day, my family depends on my paycheck and if I acted like that I would lose my job. Its a job to them too.

I'm hoping to do a review of our 2/22 cruise that landed us in Labadee as well. We had something similar happen. We had talked about going to do the Dragon's Point Coaster, but weren't sure how it would fit in the day. We asked Royal Caribbean, and they said that we could sign up on the island, if there was room. Fine with us.

As we explored the island, we got over to the stand where you can sign up. Were told that it was even cheaper than booking online which was great! We signed up, gave him our seapass numbers and off we went.

After a debacle with the guy who loaded about us (who was just downright rude), we finally got strapped in and went thorugh the coaster. I was a little scared, so I went slow-ish and by the time I got to the bottom, my fiance had already talked to the guy who loaded us off. He told us we were welcome to go again for $10 - perfect. We thought he was just going to add it on the seapass sheet we had filled out on at hte loading stand. We start getting strapped in and are ready to go and the guy comes back up to us. "We didn't charge you. You can go for free" even better!

After a pause "If you tip one of us" My fiance actually didn't hear that part and I kind of had a small panic. We didn't have any cash on us and we didn't want to pay the full price of what I think was $25/person again - we had gotten back on under the guise of paying $20 total for another ride. Ugh.

We got back to the bottom and told the guy that we didn't have any cash. They kept reassuring us that it didn't matter, they were going to let it go, no worries, man. My fiance got spooked, though, that they were going to charge us even more, or do something with our seapass numbers now that they had it and we didn't tip them, that he walked right back on the ship, grabbed a twenty, and went right back to the guy to tip him. My fiance figured it was supposed to be $10/ride, and the guy was obviously that desperate for money, that he wanted to show him that not all Americans are bad and we can do what is right. I'm not 100% sure I agree with him, but I do agree with the fact that the guy probably needed the $20 more than we did, so in the end it was definitely a GOOD thing to do, if not the right thing to do.

We weren't out any more money than we had expected to be - but it was still frustrating and we felt so taken advantage of afterwards. I can almost guarantee RCI has no clue this is going on, but I definitely don't think I'd go back on the coaster again because of it, so I kind of wish they would figure it out. Maybe have a rep. from the ship there so that there is less extortion going on? Something like that.

Edited by livinginyellow

It's caveat emptor same as everywhere! You don't want it it walk by say no thank your, or "Non Merci" and no issues.

Yes, the band sat beside us having lunch trying to sell me their CD, I said no thank you had a quick conversation (I speak French) let my little one look at their drums, and had a miniscule fraction of a local experience.

I'm new to cruising and used to local self tours exploring, so any bit of local culture I'll take. Frankly, I like Labadee, I was a nice easy cheap beach day. The Canadian $ was at 1.48 so I loved a nice relaxing free beach day and so did my family. I did not feel threatened or unsafe in any way.

We love Labadee as a stop and often pick cruises because it's on the itinerary. They've really spruced it up a lot over the years as well.

The merchants are very aggressive. I don't know that I'd say we've ever felt threatened, but I could easily understand how a person could feel that way. We just be aggressive back.

It's not just Labadee. We had a similar experience on St. Kitts last year. There was a guy making birds out of palm leaves. He gave us one and said, "No charge...!" We didn't really want it, but we didn't want to offend him. Then when we started to walk away he got mad because we didn't "tip" him. We gave him the bird (the physical bird, not the finger version) and got back on the van.

We typically purchase something on Labadee just because we're there. One of the problems, and probably counterproductive to their intentions, is when someone sees you buy something the others jump out and try to sell you the same thing.

But, we know it is what it is and we love the place and the people. We would never go through the shopping mall on Labadee alone though. It just seems safer to use the buddy system.

Tom

No, I like ports where I can go off an explore the islands like the back side of Aruba with its amazing topography. Then there is Barbados with its incredibly beautiful Harrison's Cave. St. Kitts with the Brimstone Fortress and its incredible views. St. Lucia with its cool (hot) walk in volcano. There is Antigua with Nelson's Dockyard and the Views from Shirley Heights. And at all of them the chances to interact with locals in a more natural environment who are not just trying to separate you from your money.

The last cruise that we did on Oasis we were in Nassau on Sunday so we decided to go to church at the cathedral. People in the church spotted us as visitors and were coming up to us to welcome us to the church. The bishop who was celebrating mass welcomed us as we were going to communion. Those were such cool interations.

Those are the type of ports I like instead of being kept herded up in a fenced in compound.

Great reason! Believe me - I love those islands too (the view from Brimstone Fortress is stunning). So, do you not enjoy a "do nothing day"? I totally get that some people don't. Labadee is a do nothing day for us.. just sit and watch the water, mountains and palm trees (and shop). I think it perfectly serves that purpose. But, I gotcha - if you NEVER want a port like that - you are wise to avoid Labadee.

Come on. You are trying to imply that some people only like westernized ports. And if someone prefers those types of ports that's ok. It's not too much to ask for people to not want to be harassed or scammed by people selling goods. Especially on what equates to a private island that is completely controlled by the cruise line.

Not at all. Please notice that I said (for example) after the westernized example you seem to dislike. Could very well have been what Ocean Boy above stated: he prefers to see the island - not to have a beach day. I totally get that, and in no way did I even hint that there is anything wrong with that.

You seem to believe that a private island that is completely controlled by the cruise line is a bad thing - some people don't. Personally, I love Labadee being in a mix with other islands, with Labadee being our beach day.

I really was looking for perspectives.

Great reason! Believe me - I love those islands too (the view from Brimstone Fortress is stunning). So, do you not enjoy a "do nothing day"? I totally get that some people don't. Labadee is a do nothing day for us.. just sit and watch the water, mountains and palm trees (and shop). I think it perfectly serves that purpose. But, I gotcha - if you NEVER want a port like that - you are wise to avoid Labadee.

I have no issue with down days but I guess that typically is what we use sea days aboard ship for. We usually just hang on deck and get a nap or two with intermittent periods of activity like eating, doing the rock wall, some flowrider time, and walk here or there to see what is happening around the ship, and of course eating some more. When we are on land we like to be more active. I am not the type that can stay still very long. Even on Labadee I get up frequently to take a walk around. As for the beach, I can walk down the street and do that without shelling out a few thousand dollars.

I don't mind stopping at Labadee on 8 night or longer cruises as I consider that the trade off for the longer cruise. But on seven night cruises I just prefer more island stops rather than losing an island for a private stop.

Edited by Ocean Boy

I think this is a perfect experience for an 18 year old to have. It didn't cost him much ($15) and it was eye opening. Hopefully in the future, he will be able to avoid scenarios when he is not in as protected of an area. Had you been with him, he may not have learned as well.

If I had teenagers, I would probably send them on their own (while lurking nearby) to see how they respond. lol. Maybe that's mean, but many people start traveling on their own or with friends in their late teens, early 20's. It's good to learn this early. While it could be frustrating and scary, it's safe.

Put the merchants in Labadie in perspective. They live in the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere. The few dollars they earn in the market may be the difference between their family's next meal. If that was the case for you would you not also be a little aggressive in selling your wares?

We were there on 3/21 and me and my 11 year old daughter walked through the open air market. Did many of the vendors ask us to look and if we looked we were "swarmed", sure but I nor my daughter ever felt uncomfortable. I ended up buying a hat for $16 that started out at $70 and my daughter got one of those braided bracelets for no charge after I bought the hat. It's what I expect in the third world and it doesn't bother me at all.

How many understand Haiti's plight under the Duvalier's corrupt government. I say give the vendors a break. Get out of your comfort zone. At least I have not got a made in china for Haiti trinket here.

It's possible to see their perspective, sympathize with their plight, and still not be a fan of their "sales" methods. I know the difference between aggressive hawking and trying to intimidate and scam a teenager. These tactics wouldn't even be legal in most countries.

Edited by BamaGuy44

Every experience that doesn't hurt you is a good one if you learn from it. Good point.

Tom

I think this is a perfect experience for an 18 year old to have. It didn't cost him much ($15) and it was eye opening. Hopefully in the future, he will be able to avoid scenarios when he is not in as protected of an area. Had you been with him, he may not have learned as well.

If I had teenagers, I would probably send them on their own (while lurking nearby) to see how they respond. lol. Maybe that's mean, but many people start traveling on their own or with friends in their late teens, early 20's. It's good to learn this early. While it could be frustrating and scary, it's safe.

I think that building is right when you come out the ship. The problem is when you take the small train and get off at the very last stop and you need to walk by the vendors to get to the beach.

Ethanks I am good at no and keep walking.. lol

I do want to check out thecother store..

If you need to go through the area to get to the beach on the other side, you can take the tram. They can't bother you then. I took anout 3 steps into the area and just went "nope" and walked out. I can't deal with the high pressure sales thing, especially when I'm on vacation. There was a particular vendor in Dominican Republic that was like that too. I ignored him and kept walking. I get that they are trying to make money but that's not the way to get money from me.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

We enjoy Labadee very much and look at the markets as part of the experience. It helps knowing what to expect before going and to be prepared for the aggressive vendors. Our kids, both under 10, have enjoyed the experience of negotiating with the vendors each time we have visited. Of course it is always under watchful eyes but we all enjoy the interaction. We have learned to just be firm with our answers and not to allow them to intimidate us. And generally we end up engaging in conversations with the vendors whether or not we buy.

So for us Labadee has always been a positive experience for our family.

I guess I could understand why some people would get intimidated there, but I thought it was hilarious. I loved going there and haggling with them over prices.

They all have mostly the same junk and two different vendors were arguing with each other when I was negotiating a price as they were trying to undercut each other.

To each his own, but I thought it was a hoot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've been to Labadee once. Me and my son loved it. However, I get how forceful the vendors are. They were all over us even as we rode the bus or whatever it was back to the pier. The couple next to us who we had been hanging out with over the week some how lost a $100 bill from their bag while they were there. They were convinced some how a vendor took it. They got security involved. Vendors are not supposed to cross the sidewalk around Columbus Cove. On the other hand, why anyone would carry a $100 bill on vacation... beats me.

I don't want to sound like I'm condoning the pushy behavior - I am not. However, it is Haiti, one of the poorest countries that got decimated by an earthquake and never really recovered. I'm not sure I could expect the vendors to act much differently given the living conditions and situation of the people in that country. So, not OK, but understandable.

The good news is that there is absolutely no reason to go near the vendors, unless you want to buy something. If you do, be prepared.

If anything inappropriate happens, you should obviously tell RCCL. But I'd be surprised if anything changes. RCCL has been dedicated to providing disaster relief to Haiti - this is a good thing. Part of helping that country is letting those vendors in, who are probably more restricted than vendors in any other port. The vendors are desperate - hence the pushy behavior. RCCL wants to help and will likely keep letting them in.

On our most recent cruise which stopped in Labadee, we stayed on the ship and had a lovely time. Aggressive vendors in the straw market, chair stewards who won't let me drag my own lounger to where I want it, and a buffet that's not all that great made a quiet day on the ship much more pleasant.