Turkey Travel Warning issued March 29, 2016

Boscodog

How incredibly sad it is that a poster is reflecting on terror attacks in the UK, and now FORTY years later terror attacks are still with us.

However, I want to disagree with parts of what both the previous posters wrote.

The terror attacks plaguing Europe and Turkey are not the same as the IRA bombings of the 1970's. But not because of whether or not they were targeting US tourists- that's not even the issue today.

Although I understand that posters from the US feel they are being targeted, that's not really the case. ALL tourists are being targeted- but also, not just tourists. In the latest series of bombings in Istanbul, in one attack it was German tourists who were killed, in another it was Israelis (and there is still some discussion about whether the Israelis were targets, targets of convenience, or not specifically targeted). In Paris, it was Parisians who were targeted in their local cafes, clubs, and stadiums. In Brussels, it was anyone in the airport (even though the explosions occurred near the AA counter.).

But I think it is naive of the people from the UK who post on CC saying that they have been through this sort of thing, and the current terror wave is no different.

There is a difference between the targeted- and often announced- bombings of the 1970's, and the mainly ISIS fueled attacks we are experiencing. Call it chaos, call it uncivilized, call it total anarchy, call it pure evil- it's all those, but it doesn't really matter what you call it. The aim is total destruction, a change in civilization, and the extinction of all that isn't/hasn't been/refuses to become ISIS. But it's also more than that, because the Brussels attackers were born in Belgium. To me, it means that we are all less secure than we ever imagined. There appears to be an endless supply of recruits who are willing to kill their countrymen. How do you reason with zealots? Predict who will become a terrorist? Deal with people who have no qualms about slaughtering, not just with a bomb, but with guns, and machetes, and, as we just learned from the suspect captured yesterday, biological material. Killers who kill face to face, one on one, and in group exhibitions. I realize that the IRA bombers were no angels, but there is a huge security difference between then and now.

So, yes, people from the UK have been through this sort of thing before. And maybe it gives you a survival advantage. But I would be careful about being smug. While there have been reports that a lot of Israelis were still planning to visit Turkey during our upcoming holiday, many of the Israelis I know have chosen to stay in Israel this year, feeling it is safer here than in Europe. Personally, I'm not saying I won't visit Europe. But I do feel that it sure seems that I'm living in one of the safer places nowadays- and I never expected to ever be able to say that!

So, yes, people from the UK have been through this sort of thing before. And maybe it gives you a survival advantage. But I would be careful about being smug. While there have been reports that a lot of Israelis were still planning to visit Turkey during our upcoming holiday, many of the Israelis I know have chosen to stay in Israel this year, feeling it is safer here than in Europe. Personally, I'm not saying I won't visit Europe. But I do feel that it sure seems that I'm living in one of the safer places nowadays- and I never expected to ever be able to say that!

First of all, I don't think anyone is being smug, they are just explaining their own previous experiences and how they dealt with the threat. Secondly, you are generalising. How can you compare someone's safety when living in a big city to those residing in the open countryside? You are suggesting, by your statement, that it's safer living in Israel than someone who lives on Shetland :confused:. Europe is a huge area, with many facets.

All the targeted areas, up to this point, have been in large cities where there is a high volume of persons: maximum destruction with minimal personnel. And that's what most terrorists want - it doesn't matter what they are called or what decade they chose to be active in, the MO will be the same. History repeats itself again and again, the weapons and 'cause' may change, the maximum impact will not.

It all comes down to your OWN personal choice to decide if you cruise in Europe this year. There are quotes from posters on this thread that have NO intention of cruising Europe, yet they still 'stir up the pot' just for the sake of it. They have made their choice and perhaps those are the ones you are referring to as appearing to be smug: 'the hecklers'?

Anyway, X will no doubt already have a fair idea what they intend to do but are possibly waiting until the last minute to notify their passengers. One thing I'm sure of, this issue will have been discussed many times over a table in meetings at HQ in Florida ;).

Celebrity Email today with offer Veranda $150 obc plus classic drink package

Istanbul to Rome seven nights $855 AUD For our American friends this Converts to USD645 the OBC is in USD Cruise cost USD645,00

OBC USD150.00

Classic Drink Package seven days@$50 = USD350.00

Total cost pp USD145.00

I can use the OBC to pay my Gratuities my TA in Aussie got me USD $400 OBC So now the cost of this cruise for myself and the hand brake is

USD95 Per Person you might say bargain but Istanbul is a worry

have a g/day Aussie

$95 usd for a seven nt cruise. Idk. In order to get onboard you have to go to the public dock along with thousands of other tourists. If you make it on board great. If not just $95 and a limb or life with no insurance plan that would cover for injuries because the us govt has posted, "Emergency Message for U.S. Citizens: Credible Threats to Public Squares and Docks in Istanbul and Antalya."

So the offer kinda says, "I know the govt said.... and so you might not make it on board in one piece, but if you are willing to try we'll give away the cruise."

If it was the other way around and they debarked in Istanbul at least you would get the cruise before the risk. Those probably cost more though. Higher chance you'll make it on board.

Edited by littlelulu01

Celebrity Email today with offer Veranda $150 obc plus classic drink package

Istanbul to Rome seven nights $855 AUD For our American friends this Converts to USD645 the OBC is in USD Cruise cost USD645,00

OBC USD150.00

Classic Drink Package seven days@$50 = USD350.00

Total cost pp USD145.00

That's a low price! What date is it? I have not seen anything like that in the UK. What a pity it is not the cruise after my August one, that is currently scheduled to debark in Istanbul. I would have happily stayed on for another cruise.

Some very insightful posts regarding the risk of being exposed to a terrorist attack in Europe and more particularly in Turkey/Istanbul or Ephesus. Certainly the risks ar real. More importantly, deciding to go or not to go is an individual decision.

I looked to see how many cruises between HAL and Celebrity, the two lines most invested in either originating from or ending in Istanbul or visiting Ephesus there were.

A rough number of cruises doing that is 23 between the months of May and August, 2016. Celebrity Equinox either starts or ends in Istanbul 3X during that period. All the itineraries that involve travel to Turkey, with some exceptions, are discounted in the range of 70-80% from brochure fares and in a few cases more.

IVO, the recent warnings against travel to certain parts of Turkey by the US State Department, it's probably safe to say that cruise lines with stops anywhere in Turkey are in damage control modes.

Given US State Department warnings regarding travel in Turkey, I find it unsettling that any of the cruise lines with ports in Turkey would put profits above passenger safety but by the appearance that they are delaying a decision on canceling or re-routing these cruises, apparently hoping things will change (not likely) so that there is not an implosion of revenues associated with these cruises, they are doing just that.

We are booked on Constellation, Venice to Rome with a stop in Ephesus 8/7 - 8/18. I'm watching the situation and Celebrity's behavior with regard to the known terrorist threat in Turkey. We realize that changing ports of call is not easy to do for the cruise lines and we plan to remain flexible.

I'll give Celebrity and HAL the benefit of the doubt that they are both working hard to deal with the emerging circumstances that will affect this summer's cruises in this troubled region. What I hope is not going on is a plan by either company to preserve bookings for as long as they can to allow them more cancellation and refund options so as to minimize their exposure to revenue losses.

I'll give Celebrity and HAL the benefit of the doubt that they are both working hard to deal with the emerging circumstances that will affect this summer's cruises in this troubled region. What I hope is not going on is a plan by either company to preserve bookings for as long as they can to allow them more cancellation and refund options so as to minimize their exposure to revenue losses.

I would hope so as well. Unfortunately, If X had the slightest inkling of changing either embarking or disembarking ports, they would not be offering these cruises with bargain store pricing. If they eliminated Istanbul as the embarking/disembarking port, they would be able to derive much more revenue for each cabin than what their charging for them now, which indicates to me that they're not going to change.

Edited by R&M1000
Confucius says...The bitterness of a nightmare vacation is remembered long after the sweetness of low prices is forgotten.

I would hope so as well........ If they eliminated Istanbul as the embarking/disembarking port, they would be able to derive much more revenue for each cabin than what their charging for them now, which indicates to me that they're not going to change.

I'd offer this thought.

Getting dockage in a new port is not as easy as one might think. It involves a whole bunch of moving parts, not the least of which is finding a port with an appropriate terminal for debarkation/embarkation with a pier that's not already occupied. You can bet port authorities are already planning on squeezing what they can out of the cruise lines for any changes they might like to make.

This is not to say that we could argue, as passengers, the "at any cost" axiom should apply. But it doesn't always because these are companies that want to stay on the positive side of the ledger if they can.

I'm willing to give them some leeway at this point.

$95 usd for a seven nt cruise. Idk. In order to get onboard you have to go to the public dock along with thousands of other tourists. If you make it on board great. If not just $95 and a limb or life with no insurance plan that would cover for injuries because the us govt has posted, "Emergency Message for U.S. Citizens: Credible Threats to Public Squares and Docks in Istanbul and Antalya."

So the offer kinda says, "I know the govt said.... and so you might not make it on board in one piece, but if you are willing to try we'll give away the cruise."

If it was the other way around and they debarked in Istanbul at least you would get the cruise before the risk. Those probably cost more though. Higher chance you'll make it on board.

Wow what a statement after 7/11 we have a word in Australia Chook

have a safe day

I'd offer this thought.

Getting dockage in a new port is not as easy as one might think. It involves a whole bunch of moving parts, not the least of which is finding a port with an appropriate terminal for debarkation/embarkation with a pier that's not already occupied. You can bet port authorities are already planning on squeezing what they can out of the cruise lines for any changes they might like to make.

This is not to say that we could argue, as passengers, the "at any cost" axiom should apply. But it doesn't always because these are companies that want to stay on the positive side of the ledger if they can.

I'm willing to give them some leeway at this point.

IRDK. I can envisage that X will look at this cruise by cruise. So if a port of call is made in Kusadasi in May, that this could still alter by August.

Conversely, if Kusadasi is skipped, the likelihood of later calls following suit has to be increased. But, even so, the cruise lines may react differently from cruise to cruise.

I agree - they will react to specific threats I would imagine. If each time they have to pull a port costs them money then they won't make a wholesale change to the years itinerary unless they absolutely have to - probably why they are still sailing into and out of Istanbul but not staying overnight (they haven't been overnight there since last August as far as I am aware)

I just saw this on my news feed on Facebook so thought I'd share.

This might really change things!

Emergency Message for U.S. Citizens: Credible Threats to Public Squares and Docks in Istanbul and Antalya

April 9, 2016

The U.S. Mission in Turkey would like to inform U.S. citizens that there are credible threats to tourist areas, in particular to public squares and docks in Istanbul and Antalya. Please exercise extreme caution if you are in the vicinity of such areas. For your personal safety, we urge you to monitor local media.

http://turkey.usembassy.gov/sm_040916.html

I just saw this on my news feed on Facebook so thought I'd share.

This might really change things!

Emergency Message for U.S. Citizens: Credible Threats to Public Squares and Docks in Istanbul and Antalya

April 9, 2016

The U.S. Mission in Turkey would like to inform U.S. citizens that there are credible threats to tourist areas, in particular to public squares and docks in Istanbul and Antalya. Please exercise extreme caution if you are in the vicinity of such areas. For your personal safety, we urge you to monitor local media.

http://turkey.usembassy.gov/sm_040916.html

This was already posted 2 pages back (see post #197).

I agree - they will react to specific threats I would imagine. If each time they have to pull a port costs them money then they won't make a wholesale change to the years itinerary unless they absolutely have to - probably why they are still sailing into and out of Istanbul but not staying overnight (they haven't been overnight there since last August as far as I am aware)

The main reason of cancelling overnight in Istanbul is the construction work going on the port. They were cancalled before the terrosit attacks. The renovation of the port will continue a few more years and there is not a comfortable situation in port because of this.

Its true that there is a high risc of terrorism in Turkey, but please do not forget that non of the cruise lines cancelled their cruises to Paris after several bombings and attacks.

The main reason of cancelling overnight in Istanbul is the construction work going on the port. They were cancalled before the terrosit attacks. The renovation of the port will continue a few more years and there is not a comfortable situation in port because of this.

Its true that there is a high risc of terrorism in Turkey, but please do not forget that non of the cruise lines cancelled their cruises to Paris after several bombings and attacks.

Which cruise lines sail to Paris?

Most of them. Port is called Le Havre. Cruise lines pack the majority of their passengers onto big buses into Paris. Pretty easy target IMO. It can happen anywhere, anytime. The odds of being in the exact wrong place at the wrong time are still extremely tiny. Probably have about the same chance of winning the lottery.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Every River Cruise line. They all have Seine cruises that start/stop in Paris (many with overnights), docked right at the Eiffel Tower. Also other cruises that start with hotel stays in Paris and then TGV to the ship.

Not so. The first overnight as cancelled due to a terrorist attack the week before at a Palace close to the Port gates. I know as I was on the sailing and we were notified as we boarded the plane in Manchester. Later cruises have been cancelled due to the Port construction but the early ones happened prior to construction taking place.

France has a much reduced threat of Terrorism than Turkey. Turkey has a long history of these attacks (30 years or more) and is much closer geographically to its attackers, and far more retaliatory in terms of tit-for-tat attacks.

That said, I love the place and would go to Istanbul tomorrow.

Not so. The first overnight as cancelled due to a terrorist attack the week before at a Palace close to the Port gates. I know as I was on the sailing and we were notified as we boarded the plane in Manchester. Later cruises have been cancelled due to the Port construction but the early ones happened prior to construction taking place.

Correct, we too were on that Equinox cruise last year and to say boarding was chaotic is an understatement ;).

And this explosion in Istanbul yesterday in Istanbul’s Majid Yekoy neighborhood killing people.

This is getting real scary. We're booked on the Connie disembarking in Istanbul in November and they're lowering the price every day, but..........

http://www.breakingisraelnews.com/65280/terror-bureau-warns-israelis-to-leave-turkey-jerusalem/#S6QZKERu1c2lEikW.97

Correct, we too were on that Equinox cruise last year and to say boarding was chaotic is an understatement ;).

We were on the same cruise,

staying in a hotel over the street and down a little from the port.

so we walked to the port quite early ( 11ish), no queue, bags taken off us as we arrived walked though checkin and on the ship in 15 minutes.

It was quite a relief

We arrived the day before and walked to the sutanamet area and back again.

trying not to stand near any crowds, although as soon as we were in tourist mode it was difficult to not end up being too casual.

I did last year leaving Istanbul on Equinox to Barcelona, booked same cruise this sept haven't booked airfare yet. If I pick choice air from celebrity will they adjust flight if they decide to change starting port from Istanbul ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yes

I did last year leaving Istanbul on Equinox to Barcelona, booked same cruise this sept haven't booked airfare yet. If I pick choice air from celebrity will they adjust flight if they decide to change starting port from Istanbul ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk