Turkey Travel Warning issued March 29, 2016

Boscodog

If I go to Turkey am I more likely to be hit by lightning or a terrorist attack? I want factual numbers only please.

Do you think that anybody on Cruise Critic can provide you with factual numbers for these two events occuring?

We are booked on the Equinox for the Istanbul to Rome cruise leaving July 16th. I still want to go, but tonight my DH finally got up the courage to tell me he doesn't want to go, he doesn't feel comfortable. I'm still playing the "Happy Wife, Happy Life" card, but if he is really going to be scared to go I just may have to look around for an alternative (He really wants to go on another river cruise). I thought the Aqua Class cabin would have been an incentive he wouldn't pass up on, but even that doesn't appear to sway him at this point.

Do you think that anybody on Cruise Critic can provide you with factual numbers for these two events occuring?

In Britain, more people die of bee stings than of terror attacks. That includes a hundred years of IRA activity and the more recent Muslim terrorism.

I would be entirely comfortable visiting Istanbul, Kusadasi, Marmaris and Bodrum again this year, as I have done many times before.

Going to London for the day tomorrow. Living dangerously or what?

I'm starting to feel anxious and would feel more comfortable if Kusadasi and Bodrum were removed from our itinerary completely. I still want to go to Ephesus sometime, it's on my bucket list, but it can wait. In fact I'd be happy with a couple of extra sea days as our itinerary is so full at present. A cruise is supposed to be a fun and relaxing trip (for us anyway) and right now it's feeling very stressful. I don't have the option of cancelling since we'd lose a second lot of deposits (already lost 1 lot when we took a price drop) and our flights are non-refundable linked to the booking.

Edited by jael001

Please forgive my ignorance but I've never been to Europe. Can someone please elaborate on the VAT kicking in? How does this work? Is it a percentage like the sales tax here in the U.S.? Would this apply to the onboard purchases which are normally duty free or possibly even the entire cruise fare?

Please forgive my ignorance but I've never been to Europe. Can someone please elaborate on the VAT kicking in? How does this work? Is it a percentage like the sales tax here in the U.S.? Would this apply to the onboard purchases which are normally duty free or possibly even the entire cruise fare?

Yes, I was wondering too about that. I've never cruised in Europe before so didn't realise that there was a difference in onboard prices depending on ports visited,

I'm starting to feel anxious and would feel more comfortable if Kusadasi and Bodrum were removed from our itinerary completely. I still want to go to Ephesus sometime, it's on my bucket list, but it can wait. In fact I'd be happy with a couple of extra sea days as our itinerary is so full at present. A cruise is supposed to be a fun and relaxing trip (for us anyway) and right now it's feeling very stressful. I don't have the option of cancelling since we'd lose a second lot of deposits (already lost 1 lot when we took a price drop) and our flights are non-refundable linked to the booking.

I agree with you. A fun and relaxing time is what I look forward to on a holiday and stress is creeping in.

Yes, I was wondering too about that. I've never cruised in Europe before so didn't realise that there was a difference in onboard prices depending on ports visited,

If you don't have a non EU stop on your sailing, then you will be charged VAT at the prevailing rate for any onboard purchases. Many pax have been caught out paying 20% on ALL onboard purchases during their cruise - hence Cruise Junky's above post. Do a search on CC, many threads giving examples of VAT rates from different EU itineraries.

DYKWIA mentioned Kotor above as that would remove the VAT worry. However, last year on Equinox when our overnight in Istanbul was pulled the day before we embarked, we didn't have an alternative port added, just extra hours in certain ports on our scheduled itinerary ;).

Edited by villauk

Kotor, Montenegro or Israel could be options.

Israel has just been cancelled on our September cruise, along with Egypt. MSC cite force majeure and "security" as the reasons.

VAT in Europe is a sales tax averaging 20%, more or less charged on everything. The Spanish got wise to the fact that ships moored alongside in Spain were not charging it on drink purchases, so they insisted they did.

However, once the ship sets sail and is outside Spanish waters, sales are tax-free. I'm not sure how many other countries chase this small amount of revenue, but I am only aware of Spain.

Sales in the "duty-free" shops on board, however, are not duty-free if the ship sails entirely intra-EU, and so tax is charged on your shop purchases if the ship does not call at a "foreign" port.

We go to Kusadasi in a few weeks and will report back here if there is any increased security or any extraordinary. I don't think there will and it will be business as usual.

(That's if I make it back)

UK Foreign Office advice has not changed.

I assume therefore that the change in the US advice is due to specific intelligence relating to US Diplomatic/Military installations.

There is a history of one of the Terrorist groups active in Turkey attacking Turkish and US establishments.

This from the Foreign Office

The anti-western, proscribed terrorist group, THKP/C-Acilciler (Turkish People’s Liberation Party/Front) and the linked DHKP/C (Revolutionary People’s Liberation Front) remain active, and launched a series of attacks in Istanbul in 2015 targeting the Turkish police and judiciary. The DHKP/C attacks have mainly targeted the Turkish authorities and US diplomatic missions

I am looking forward to visiting Ephesus again this year (my third time), I was in Istanbul last year a week after the shooting outside the Palace and felt as safe as I would feel in any big city, but I understand different people have different levels of Risk and must do what they feel makes them feel comfortable.

Way too far to get to in one day. Maybe Santorini or Mykonos but not the 2 you listed.

My answer was in relation to ports outside the EU (Therefore no VAT). Santorini and Mykonos are both in Greece and part of the EU.

If you don't have a non EU stop on your sailing, then you will be charged VAT at the prevailing rate for any onboard purchases. Many pax have been caught out paying 20% on ALL onboard purchases during their cruise - hence Cruise Junky's above post. Do a search on CC, many threads giving examples of VAT rates from different EU itineraries.

DYKWIA mentioned Kotor above as that would remove the VAT worry. However, last year on Equinox when our overnight in Istanbul was pulled the day before we embarked, we didn't have an alternative port added, just extra hours in certain ports on our scheduled itinerary ;).

I wouldn't mind if Celebrity changes Bodrum and Kusadasi for a sea day and one non-Euro port. Last year on the Equinox (Rome to Barcelona), we had to pay VAT for everything, including the photo package, and we didn't spend too much onboard. I don't think this is good for sales on the cruise either. Hope Celebrity decides what they are going to do soon.

Israel has just been cancelled on our September cruise, along with Egypt. MSC cite force majeure and "security" as the reasons.

VAT in Europe is a sales tax averaging 20%, more or less charged on everything. The Spanish got wise to the fact that ships moored alongside in Spain were not charging it on drink purchases, so they insisted they did.

However, once the ship sets sail and is outside Spanish waters, sales are tax-free. I'm not sure how many other countries chase this small amount of revenue, but I am only aware of Spain.

Sales in the "duty-free" shops on board, however, are not duty-free if the ship sails entirely intra-EU, and so tax is charged on your shop purchases if the ship does not call at a "foreign" port.

They are claiming Force Majuere for the cancellation (so they don't have to pay/ can limit compensation) and security as the reason I think you will find. ;)

I wouldn't mind an extra sea day! I had originally booked this cruise since it had 3 sea days. The sea days were reduced when Istanbul was replaced. We have had the conversation as to what if, but really do not plan on canceling. I agree with you that I won't be too upset if Turkey was removed all together. An extra sea day, an over night in Naples (there are too many choices for Naples tours and would love to be able to do it all) would be my choice! Regardless, we will see you on board!

I wouldn't mind an extra sea day! I had originally booked this cruise since it had 3 sea days. The sea days were reduced when Istanbul was replaced. We have had the conversation as to what if, but really do not plan on canceling. I agree with you that I won't be too upset if Turkey was removed all together. An extra sea day, an over night in Naples (there are too many choices for Naples tours and would love to be able to do it all) would be my choice! Regardless, we will see you on board!

Great idea!!!:):)

Back to the VAT issue.

Last year I was on a Cunard cruise for 14 days. It was sold in various ways on the website - as 7-day cruises or a 14-day cruise or part of a 21-day cruise. At times my cruise was treated as one (only one lot of shareholder credit and internet access) but when it came to the VAT issue it was treated as 2 separate cruises. The first week included a non-EU port so all was well. The second week was completely within the EU and we had to pay VAT. I was rather annoyed with myself for having a lovely photograph taken in the first week but not getting around to buying it until the second week, thus incurring an extra 20%.

It is a relatively new rule on the part of the EU. Unfortunately cruise itineraries were already set when the rule came in, and the cruise lines could not change them to include non-EU ports into every itinerary. They just had to put up with the fact that people perhaps spent less because prices were not as attractive once the 20% was added on.

Diane

Back to the VAT issue.

Last year I was on a Cunard cruise for 14 days. It was sold in various ways on the website - as 7-day cruises or a 14-day cruise or part of a 21-day cruise. At times my cruise was treated as one (only one lot of shareholder credit and internet access) but when it came to the VAT issue it was treated as 2 separate cruises. The first week included a non-EU port so all was well. The second week was completely within the EU and we had to pay VAT. I was rather annoyed with myself for having a lovely photograph taken in the first week but not getting around to buying it until the second week, thus incurring an extra 20%.

It is a relatively new rule on the part of the EU. Unfortunately cruise itineraries were already set when the rule came in, and the cruise lines could not change them to include non-EU ports into every itinerary. They just had to put up with the fact that people perhaps spent less because prices were not as attractive once the 20% was added on.

Diane

Could you explain which ports would be part of the EU and which would not be part of the EU. Thanks so much.