Turkey Travel Warning issued March 29, 2016

Boscodog

Back to the VAT issue.

Last year I was on a Cunard cruise for 14 days. It was sold in various ways on the website - as 7-day cruises or a 14-day cruise or part of a 21-day cruise. At times my cruise was treated as one (only one lot of shareholder credit and internet access) but when it came to the VAT issue it was treated as 2 separate cruises. The first week included a non-EU port so all was well. The second week was completely within the EU and we had to pay VAT. I was rather annoyed with myself for having a lovely photograph taken in the first week but not getting around to buying it until the second week, thus incurring an extra 20%.

It is a relatively new rule on the part of the EU. Unfortunately cruise itineraries were already set when the rule came in, and the cruise lines could not change them to include non-EU ports into every itinerary. They just had to put up with the fact that people perhaps spent less because prices were not as attractive once the 20% was added on.

Diane

I'm wondering what would happen if Turkey got pulled mid way through a cruise. Do people have to back pay it, is it just skipped if the cruise has already embarked. Will be interesting. There is one sailing to Kusadasi before ours so we'll see

I'm wondering what would happen if Turkey got pulled mid way through a cruise. Do people have to back pay it, is it just skipped if the cruise has already embarked. Will be interesting. There is one sailing to Kusadasi before ours so we'll see

I would imagine the cruise lines are scrambling to figure out what to do. Bookings are down and having Turkey on the itinerary will not help sales.

Could you explain which ports would be part of the EU and which would not be part of the EU. Thanks so much.

[1]The EU countries are: Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Germany, Estonia, Greece, Spain, France, Ireland, Italy, Cyprus, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Hungary, Malta, The Netherlands, Austria, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovenia, Slovakia, Finland, Sweden and the United Kingdom.

So all the others are not ;). DYKWIA mentioned Kotor as Montenegro is not, neither is Gibraltar ;).

This link will provide you with the definitive list http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/customs/customs_duties/rules_origin/introduction/article_403_en.htm

Edited by villauk

For those Americans who are not aware of the STEP program, you can enroll on the travel.state.gov website. It provides a way for the State Department to know where you are traveling, just in case.

We signed onto this program when we heading to Honduras, another country that suffers from excess violence. Given the Travel Warning warned of violence and the fact that we were traveling through San Pedro Sula, "murder capital of the world", I decided that it was the prudent thing to do.

The link for the Smart Traveler Progam didn't copy over to this post. However, you can easily find it the site. Look for: "Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency."

[1]The EU countries are: Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Germany, Estonia, Greece, Spain, France, Ireland, Italy, Cyprus, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Hungary, Malta, The Netherlands, Austria, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovenia, Slovakia, Finland, Sweden and the United Kingdom.

So all the others are not ;). DYKWIA mentioned Kotor as Montenegro is not, neither is Gibraltar ;).

This link will provide you with the definitive list http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/customs/customs_duties/rules_origin/introduction/article_403_en.htm

Monaco also does not appear to be part of the E.U.

Monaco also does not appear to be part of the E.U.

Not as such but Monaco is an integral part of the EU customs territory and VAT area,

Btw, does X have this as a port of call -- tendering to Villefranche for Monaco would be France?

The Channel Islands of Jersey, Guernsey and the other tiny ones are not in the EU, neither is Gibraltar or the Canary Islands "in Spain".

Hopefully, after the referendum on June 23rd, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland will no longer be part of the European super-state either.

Sorry to be controversial, but I just feel that way this minute!

Edited by Bollinge

Not as such but Monaco is an integral part of the EU customs territory and VAT area,

Btw, does X have this as a port of call -- tendering to Villefranche for Monaco would be France?

Yes, Gill, I think you are probably correct: the port of call is Villefranche, not Monaco ;).

Well, Bollinge, it won't make any difference to the Turkey itineraries as it's too far for a port replacement ;).

Celebrity does not officially tender in Monaco. Villefranche is the tender port in France.

What non EU port could be a replacement for the Turkey ports that are in the general vicinity that would not change the itinerary too much. Montenegro, Split, Kotor?

Split is in Croatia, so in the EU ;). Kotor is in Montenegro, so that's down to 1 out of your 3 ;). I think Albania is the only other country on a coast?

Edited by villauk

The other ports that are non EU have issues regarding the size of the ship according to Celebrity. Back to your OP. There is no travel warning anyplace near the ports being visited. The area is about 400 miles away. I agree there is an issue with the refugee situation, but saying one should not go to Ephesus because of a travel warning in Eastern Turkey is the same as saying one should not travel to Crete or Malta because of the war in Syria.

And I do agree everyone has their own comfort level. Sadly if one is to avoid ALL terrorist violence today one would need to find a very remote island. It happens in the US, Canada and Australia as well.

The Channel Islands of Jersey, Guernsey and the other tiny ones are not in the EU, neither is Gibraltar or the Canary Islands "in Spain".

Hopefully, after the referendum on June 23rd, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland will no longer be part of the European super-state either.

Politics?

On a cruise critic thread?

You get today's bravery award ;)

Can't non EU citizens claim back VAT?

https://www.gov.uk/tax-on-shopping/taxfree-shopping

I don't know the rules for other European countries. They must have something similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Only on goods purchased not on things like drink packages, specialty restaurants and shore excursions.

I'm still on the fence

Only on goods purchased not on things like drink packages, specialty restaurants and shore excursions.

I'm clear the VAT is charged on goods purchased, but I thought I'd seen something that made me less sure about whether the tax is applied to specialty restaurants. I was researching details on Italy's VAT rules. Did I misunderstand?

I'm clear the VAT is charged on goods purchased, but I thought I'd seen something that made me less sure about whether the tax is applied to specialty restaurants. I was researching details on Italy's VAT rules. Did I misunderstand?

VAT is usually charged on both goods AND services, so I'd assume that restaurants, shore excursions, spa treatments etc would all fall under that.

The difficulty is that in Europe prices shown include VAT, we dont pay it on top of the prices we see, so if it comes to it and we have to add the VAT on top of the prices shown on the ship it's going to take a bit of working out. And what rate would be charged? Each EU country has it's own VAT rate. Would it end up being Italy's VAT rate because the cruise we're on starts and ends there? That would be 22% (compared to 20% in the UK).

Edited by jael001

Celebrity does not officially tender in Monaco. Villefranche is the tender port in France.

Oops fell into this thread's Vat discussion, but I'm cruising another line, which ports in Monte Carlo. This discussion helped me realize that I won't have a VAT issue once we get the heck out of Spanish water.

VAT is usually charged on both goods AND services, so I'd assume that restaurants, shore excursions, spa treatments etc would all fall under that.

The difficulty is that in Europe prices shown include VAT, we dont pay it on top of the prices we see, so if it comes to it and we have to add the VAT on top of the prices shown on the ship it's going to take a bit of working out. And what rate would be charged? Each EU country has it's own VAT rate. Would it end up being Italy's VAT rate because the cruise we're on starts and ends there? That would be 22% (compared to 20% in the UK).

As I understand it, approximately 38% on top of each drink if you pay as you go and don't have the beverage package as a perk (there would be X's grats on top as well as the 20%).

In the EU VAT can be applied to goods and services, e.g. restaurant meals,drinks, spa treatments - the VAT rate and which exact items the charge is levied on varies from one EU country to another. My understanding of Cruise Junky's comment is that non-EU residents can claim back the VAT only on goods purchased, not on services. Cruise Junky may, of course, correct me if I'm wrong!

How is Turkey anymore of a risk than any European destination at the moment ?

I remember being in London when the IRA was active and had just left NYC when 9/11 took place ,used sensible precautions and was aware but it did not stop me enjoying great cities including Istanbul .You can minimise risk you can not eliminate it. If you are scared of the big wide world don't go out in it.

VAT can be easy or hard to get back depending upon when and where you leave the EU. It can also be a problem in non-EU countries if you try to collect your taxes when you leave the country. The easiest place to collect is at an airport. Just bring your fully filled out form with the item to the customs desk, get it stamped, and then go to the refund desk. Depending upon where you bought the item, you may get cash or a credit on your credit card, The credit can take months to show up. It may seem like you are never going to receive the credit. Just be patient and it will eventually show up. My refund from items bought in Poland with a form submitted at the Prague airport took almost 6 months. At the same time, tax on items bought in Prague were refunded in cash with no wait. Each country is different. Be patient. Leaving a country by ship is the worst at getting back your taxes. In Israel, I had no problem getting a refund at the airport on a Saturday...Shabbat. However, the next time that I was in Israel on a cruise, the tax refund office at the dock in Haifa was closed on a Friday afternoon ..nearly Shabbat. Sometimes the ship has refund officials on the ship. Celebrity hasn't done that recently. I have never tried to get a refund for meals or lodging. Recently, prices abroad have gone up to the point that I don't buy much. I consider the refund a bonus when I get it.

In the EU VAT can be applied to goods and services, e.g. restaurant meals,drinks, spa treatments - the VAT rate and which exact items the charge is levied on varies from one EU country to another. My understanding of Cruise Junky's comment is that non-EU residents can claim back the VAT only on goods purchased, not on services. Cruise Junky may, of course, correct me if I'm wrong!

No correction needed. Perfect

As I understand it, approximately 38% on top of each drink if you pay as you go and don't have the beverage package as a perk (there would be X's grats on top as well as the 20%).

There shouldn't be VAT on the gratuities, that's a separate thing.