Depressing price drop

luvtravel

Since there is so much MISINFORMATION..... Even the Oceania Ambassador misinforms during her presentation - stating that the "best price guarantee" is good up until sailing date -- Until you read the fine print. None of the if your category is still available or after final payment caveats are mentioned.

Here are the exact terms of the best price guarantee (underlines are my emphasis).

"Should there be another applicable public promotion offering a better value though a combination of lower price and amenities on the cruise and category you have selected, you will be able to take advantage of this new promotion plus the added benefit of the applicable Onboard Savings. Simply have your travel agent call Oceania Cruises to have the new promotion added to your reservation (subject to stateroom/suite availability). "

(nothing here has changed up to final payment - you have always been able to refare your booking if the cabin category was available)

"Should there be a reduction after final payment has been paid, the difference will be given to you in the form of a Shipboard Credit, stateroom/suite upgrade, or Future Cruise Credit at our discretion."

(only thing that has changed is that they will give you something - again at their discretion)

Edited by PaulMCO

I am currently involved in using the "on Board Booking" "Best price guarantee". I booked on the Regatta for the extended "Riviera" Venice to Miami cruise starting in early November for 26 days. I booked a B-3 category and got a specific stateroom. It seemed like a pretty good price and I got the following amenities:

1) free gratuities

2) 9 free shore excursions (recently told that the free ones need specific codes)

3) free internet

4) some shipboard credits ( do not have exact amount now, but several hundred)

5) my bronze level shipboard credit (believe $200.00)

A recent price drop, per the website "Plan your Cruise" caused me to consider using the "On board booking - Best price guarantee"

I tried using the website search engine to learn more about this guarantee and read my prior contract materials, but found nothing further than the one paragraph in the letter - See PaulMCO 's recent post.

MY travel agent also struggled with this as to what I would gain and what I would lose by using the guarantee.

As it stands now, I will replace the price and amenities I booked on the Regatta and replace them with the price change and amenities on the recently published "public" promotion.

This became clear with I called Oceania and learned the following - There has to be cabin availability in the category you previously booked. (B-3for me, which was based upon the new "public promotion". ( I asked if this would be deck specific for cabin or suite classes on more than one deck and was told "no". This makes business sense, why should Oceania offer lower prices if they have all ready "publically" noted that the category is fully booked.

Second, per their representative, no price reductions can be taken based upon the guarantee AFTER you make the final payment ( although he did say you may be able to negotiate additional OBC's or other amenities. Finally he said the Guarantee could be used again if both changes were in the same price category (b-3 for me), which was still available, and before the final payment due date.

The current special offer price and amenities does not offer free gratuities. It offers free internet and a choice of 1) some free shore excursions OR 2) a beverage package OR 3) $900 OBC ( more than before).

We chose 3) so we gave up free ( or prepaid) gratuities, 9 shore excursions (probably the less expensive ones and gained significant price reduction and a larger OBC.

Finally, the Oceania call center person said he could not sent me written rules and guidelines for the On board booking - Best Price Guarantee and was not even sure if it existed.

With nothing in writing, some of this may not be correct so check with your TA.

For what it is worth, the Oceania representative on the phone answered my questions promptly and with assurance.

Was just showing a friend the cruise on which my d.h. and I are booked (final payment made) on the Riviera this summer....on an online travel agent website (not the one we purchased from) which provides good info. Anyway....shocked to see the penthouse is now going for almost $2000pp less than we paid for a verendah. Is adding to the list of disappointments about this cruise....based on recent reviews...not just of the noro virus but the overall experience. First time we've felt 'ripped off' even before getting on the cruise....hope its our last experience like this! We have not cruised with Oceania previously and already feel like this will be a one and only. Forgot...there had already been a previous price reduction on the cabin category we have booked and when I called about it...was told...nothing to be done about changes after final payment.

Surely rule number one is not to price compare once you have committed - at least if you are going to get upset by any last minute price drops.

The point I make is that having been satisfied with the original price you 'signed up' presumably considering then that it was good value.

The last thing I would want before embarking on a cruise is any issues that would impinge on my enjoyment.

I am currently involved in using the "on Board Booking" "Best price guarantee". I booked on the Regatta for the extended "Riviera" Venice to Miami cruise starting in early November for 26 days. I booked a B-3 category and got a specific stateroom. It seemed like a pretty good price and I got the following amenities:

1) free gratuities

2) 9 free shore excursions (recently told that the free ones need specific codes)

3) free internet

4) some shipboard credits ( do not have exact amount now, but several hundred)

5) my bronze level shipboard credit (believe $200.00)

A recent price drop, per the website "Plan your Cruise" caused me to consider using the "On board booking - Best price guarantee"

I tried using the website search engine to learn more about this guarantee and read my prior contract materials, but found nothing further than the one paragraph in the letter - See PaulMCO 's recent post.

MY travel agent also struggled with this as to what I would gain and what I would lose by using the guarantee.

As it stands now, I will replace the price and amenities I booked on the Regatta and replace them with the price change and amenities on the recently published "public" promotion.

This became clear with I called Oceania and learned the following - There has to be cabin availability in the category you previously booked. (B-3for me, which was based upon the new "public promotion". ( I asked if this would be deck specific for cabin or suite classes on more than one deck and was told "no". This makes business sense, why should Oceania offer lower prices if they have all ready "publically" noted that the category is fully booked.

Second, per their representative, no price reductions can be taken based upon the guarantee AFTER you make the final payment ( although he did say you may be able to negotiate additional OBC's or other amenities. Finally he said the Guarantee could be used again if both changes were in the same price category (b-3 for me), which was still available, and before the final payment due date.

The current special offer price and amenities does not offer free gratuities. It offers free internet and a choice of 1) some free shore excursions OR 2) a beverage package OR 3) $900 OBC ( more than before).

We chose 3) so we gave up free ( or prepaid) gratuities, 9 shore excursions (probably the less expensive ones and gained significant price reduction and a larger OBC.

Finally, the Oceania call center person said he could not sent me written rules and guidelines for the On board booking - Best Price Guarantee and was not even sure if it existed.

With nothing in writing, some of this may not be correct so check with your TA.

For what it is worth, the Oceania representative on the phone answered my questions promptly and with assurance.

I'm confused as to why you would be dealing with the Oceania call center rep when you used a Travel Agent. ?? I would think they would be dealing with this for you. I know mine does.

I'm confused as to why you would be dealing with the Oceania call center rep when you used a Travel Agent. ?? I would think they would be dealing with this for you. I know mine does.

When one books through a travel agent they become your sole representative.

Oceania is by agreement, contract or MOU, not going to discuss any aspect of your cruise booking unless through and to your agent. Thats the deal they have with agents and agents are the core of their business. They are not going to rock that boat at all !

I have had private contact with several O company agents who related to me that this is a serious deal.....they will not discuss with you. Just like when you book air through a 3 rd party... you have no say with the airline....only the third party does... Same with hotels too....

Surely rule number one is not to price compare once you have committed - at least if you are going to get upset by any last minute price drops.

The point I make is that having been satisfied with the original price you 'signed up' presumably considering then that it was good value.

The last thing I would want before embarking on a cruise is any issues that would impinge on my enjoyment.

You , Sir are quite right......and probably very happy and content. You will enjoy your purchases , in life, whatever they are, without constant worry and self doubt and frustration. I fully appreciate your practical wisdom.

Many seem to feel I broke some rule (unwritten) by trying to use my price guarantee involving conversations with both my travel agent and Oceania.

Remember, I booked this cruise originally on the Regatta. I made sure the Oceania Club representative knew about my travel agency and agent (a person who left the travel agency BEFORE I tried to use the "Best Price Guarantee") when I booked onboard.

To the best of my knowledge, I did not negotiate anything with Oceania, but did ask several general questions of the Oceania representative. The changes have come through my travel agent and I have OKed them through her. I even told her that I expected a change in the OBC from the travel agency ( not OBC's from Oceania ) due to the fare decrease ( and hence their commission being reduced ).

Yes, I try to be proactive regarding travel, medical and financial matters and other situations. PS - I believe being proactive involves reading "Cruise Critic"

which can offer information my TA may not have.

Many seem to feel I broke some rule (unwritten) by trying to use my price guarantee involving conversations with both my travel agent and Oceania.

Remember, I booked this cruise originally on the Regatta. I made sure the Oceania Club representative knew about my travel agency and agent (a person who left the travel agency BEFORE I tried to use the "Best Price Guarantee") when I booked onboard.

To the best of my knowledge, I did not negotiate anything with Oceania, but did ask several general questions of the Oceania representative. The changes have come through my travel agent and I have OKed them through her. I even told her that I expected a change in the OBC from the travel agency ( not OBC's from Oceania ) due to the fare decrease ( and hence their commission being reduced ).

Yes, I try to be proactive regarding travel, medical and financial matters and other situations. PS - I believe being proactive involves reading "Cruise Critic"

which can offer information my TA may not have.

I believe that you may have misunderstood the responses to your post.

What they were questioning is why you wouldn't instruct said Agent to make those inquiries on your behalf, as that type of endeavor is the very purpose of employing a Travel Agent in the first place.

I note that you are fairly new to Cruise Critic, welcome, but it is actually a very common thing to reserve onboard and then transfer that booking to an Agent. Your situation is by no means an uncommon one.

As much as some posters may dislike Oceania's response, IMO, it is only fair. After all, prices go up all the time and are not passed on to booked passengers. We always have the choice of cancelling and rebooking but may not get the cabin that we wanted.

And I think that is a major issue . We book late on almost any cruise we take . Price matters to us .And to me a balcony is as high as we ever go . PH , no , I'll leave those to the heavy hitters . But if you are a veteran cruiser and have a real thing for particular cabins , you are going to have to choose early .

Yes, you are right!! If you book on board the lowest price will be guaranteed if you are paid in full AND even if your category is sold out. Very different than prior to payment and category available. My days if booking early on O are over. Too many price drops on all sailings. Eventually if more do this, O will adjust pricing rules.

That is exactly what you get when you book direct and even transfer to an agent.... $100 of on board. no OBC no Gratuities, . no extras... zip....fish on !!!

No, even with price drops what I get by booking well in advance, totaly forget the class of cabin, is major On a recent booking, my agent created groups, put me in them ( once booked on board you can not get in a group...them is the rules of O) got me Gratuities for 30 days, Liquor package, internet, and over $1500 in OBC.... plus 5% off the fare to begin with.... Booking on board and last min even with price drops as you said of 20% would not get me that.....

Sorry, I will continue to book earily and use my agent who works for me not O

I believe that you may have misunderstood the responses to your post.

What they were questioning is why you wouldn't instruct said Agent to make those inquiries on your behalf, as that type of endeavor is the very purpose of employing a Travel Agent in the first place.

I note that you are fairly new to Cruise Critic, welcome, but it is actually a very common thing to reserve onboard and then transfer that booking to an Agent. Your situation is by no means an uncommon one.

Everything you said is correct... having an agent work for you..

However , as I discovered, some of the best pricing, OBC, Gratuities, all sorts of extras can be offered to those booking through an agent, when that agent had formed "group bookings".

O then will offer those passengers booking into these groups incentives through that agent, which are NOT offered to non -group passengers.

And as I said before, I learned that you cant book a cruise and then transfer or re book into these incentive laden group offers once you have booked outside the group . That, I am told, is an O rule.

So even with a good agent there are limits placed on him, as well as incentives he can be offered if he structures his deals right. with O..

Some of these posters must anquish over airfares so much it makes it impossible to fly. Tickets prices go up and down, sometimes dramatically, on a daily basis. One picks at flight, picks their seats (hopefully) and flies. There isn't all this wailing and nashing of teeth. What is so different about cruising? If you aren't happy with the price, at that time, then don't book! You can wait for a better deal, that may not be the best deal, or you can miss the boat because it sells out . Money matters to most all of us, but people there has to come a point where you have to be satisfied with what you have booked and enjoy! Or maybe not, for some! :rolleyes:

Some of these posters must anquish over airfares so much it makes it impossible to fly. Tickets prices go up and down, sometimes dramatically, on a daily basis. One picks at flight, picks their seats (hopefully) and flies. There isn't all this wailing and nashing of teeth. What is so different about cruising? If you aren't happy with the price, at that time, then don't book! You can wait for a better deal, that may not be the best deal, or you can miss the boat because it sells out . Money matters to most all of us, but people there has to come a point where you have to be satisfied with what you have booked and enjoy! Or maybe not, for some! :rolleyes:

+1... totaly right...