Depressing price drop

luvtravel

I regularly receive mailings from Oceania and other Premium and luxury lines: it seems the longer you wait to book, the better the deal. If you find a cabin category that meets your needs at the last minute (defined as several months to weeks before the cruise,) good deals can be had. I am seeing all lines do this, so the "early bird" gets their pick of a specific cabin but not the best price, it seems. It's a trade off, but the money involved can be significant.

We never take any included air, just get the credit and book our own. That allows us to find our preferred carriers (the ones that have not mucked up royally in the past,) the route with the least time in the air, fewest stops, which is our first criteria. Time on the plane, no matter what class, is mind and body dead space IMO. So we pay extra to lessen that pain. Cruise line arranged air usually involves a very extended flight with some unnecessary stops/connections. Those are the cheapest and least desirable flights and are priced accordingly. If you've booked air for yourself, you notice that flights of the shortest duration, fewest stops and most desirable departure/arrival schedules are always the most expensive.

That's a great strategy, especially if you are booking a Carib cruise and you live in FLA. Not so great if you live in CA and want to fly to FLA last minute in high season; or fly to Europe/Asia last minute (premium class); even worse if you want to use FF miles to get an award last minute.

As we do the latter, we book and plan early and try to get some compensation if prices go down later.

Different strokes.....

Cruise line arranged air usually involves a very extended flight with some unnecessary stops/connections.

True, but the Oceania "Air Deviation" process offers the ability to enjoy client selected flights while remaining under the aegis of Cruise Line sponsored Air Arrangements; a significant distinction should World events require that the cruise itinerary be altered after said airline tickets are purchased.

True, but the Oceania "Air Deviation" process offers the ability to enjoy client selected flights while remaining under the aegis of Cruise Line sponsored Air Arrangements; a significant distinction should World events require that the cruise itinerary be altered after said airline tickets are purchased.

AND..using the deviation plus booking air flights 250 to 270 days ahead of cruise date gives one a wide selection of flights, best flight times (departure and arrival) and shortest times possible. So far our booking for Europe flights have fallen into the included air- no upcharge for our requested airline and flights.

Then ask Oceania to purchase your airline tickets the day after you make final payment and you will be able to upgrade to economy comfort on some of the airlines. So far the cruises we've booked, the prices have stayed the same or have increased slightly from the booking opening date. So worth the early booking to us, but I still keep a close eye on the offer changes.

Waiting until the last minute may well be a strategy that pays off in a reduced fare. As many have mentioned, you are then stuck with the "left-over" inventory. Some may be on a deck not of your choosing, or the verandah may have an obstructed view.

All of that could be dealt with. What would concern me, and the reason why I don't wait to book, is the air portion. What's the benefit of scoring a great deal if you have to make numerous stops to reach the ship?

I'll book early and ask for any perks when the price drop hits.

I like to do my own air arrangements using points or stopping off for a week on the way etc. If I were to wait to book for the last and final fire sale -- I would just make it up in increased air fare as all cheap/point tickets are long gone. Basically in this day just finding ANY flight that meets my exact needs is a real score. Super TA Lois is always willing to price out these "so called bargains" that I find -- they almost always have something taken away from my "first deal" and so are not apples to apples but apples to oranges.

Yes...but when you include the added cost of the Air Deviation, you wind up erasing any savings you made by waiting.

I have not sailed on Oceania for several years but do recall when we were booked previously, I selected a guaranteed cabin category but did not select a specific cabin. We ended up with a very nice space. But I do recall that certain categories were overbooked and at the last minute, a furious process involving free or low cost upgrades & extra cash commenced. Those who booked lower category cabins were offered the best deals to upgrade; that allowed the cruise line to free up those lower level cabins to last minute bookings, and to fill the ship. I regularly receive mailings from Oceania and other Premium and luxury lines: it seems the longer you wait to book, the better the deal. If you find a cabin category that meets your needs at the last minute (defined as several months to weeks before the cruise,) good deals can be had. I am seeing all lines do this, so the "early bird" gets their pick of a specific cabin but not the best price, it seems. It's a trade off, but the money involved can be significant.

We never take any included air, just get the credit and book our own. That allows us to find our preferred carriers (the ones that have not mucked up royally in the past,) the route with the least time in the air, fewest stops, which is our first criteria. Time on the plane, no matter what class, is mind and body dead space IMO. So we pay extra to lessen that pain. Cruise line arranged air usually involves a very extended flight with some unnecessary stops/connections. Those are the cheapest and least desirable flights and are priced accordingly. If you've booked air for yourself, you notice that flights of the shortest duration, fewest stops and most desirable departure/arrival schedules are always the most expensive.

I pretty much agree.... and have sat out a lot of sales waiting as you outlined. That worked except for this past year with a price that ended Jan 1 2016. I somehow felt that this just might be different..... It was the end of the full package Internet, Gratuities and 5 shore ex's ALL Not pick one.

Jan 1 dawned and enter the new O life....500 on board, std drinks package, or 5 shore ex 's... NOT all pick ONE !!! That was worth some $1000 approx

The difference was some approx $800 to $1300 depending on what you choose ( drinks package being the best at a $1300 value, obc ) So, yup in this case it would not have worked to wait.

Its a crap shoot... sometimes...

As to Air credit,, which we almost always take we can zip out with 7 days notice as we have a very substantial quantity of miles and can always get what we need without deviation... so for some that could be an issue.

Speaking of Air miles purchased or earned.. It cost 45,000 miles for a first class to Miami from LAX on American.... Those miles were worth $about $1420 ( bought or earned) However, you could buy a first class, seat on the same flights for $460.pp Pays to check and decide.. ( I consider any mile no matter how aquired, to have a actual cash value to me, every mile I accrue with UAL is worth 2.2 cents AA is 3.2/3.5 cents)

Also I noted on an upcoming Jan cruise booked way back in Dec. the air credit at that time was $1200, in February 2016 that was reduced to $1000. air credit.

So many variables in play when you are considering.

September will be our first experience sailing with Oceania...we booked far in advance, July 2015, and think signing up early paid off on this particular cruise.

We just made final payment and feel (even if there are further discounts) that we got the exact suite we wanted, 5 included shore excursions each, PPG and internet, OBC as well as the benefit of 2 price reductions that came along after booking...at a fair price that we're satisfied with.

Looking at the new 2017-18 South America itineraries, however, we've decided to hold off on booking for March 2018 and take a chance that what we want will still be available in October which would still be way over a year out.

Yes, yes...no, no but the offer does not seem as good and Zika virus is also a concern. Think right now is a time to wait it out.

Its great to have a good agent who can get your On board credits of r change, or a upgrade.

However, looking in the rearview mirror will always bring you to a not good end.

Consider, that when you booked, you thought the fare charged was reasonable for what you got. Considering that you got the cabin and the benifits you wanted. Did not that seem, at the time, to be a good value to you?

That is the crux of the whole problem. Your decision is your decision ; live with it.

There will always be some one who gets it cheaper. Likewise another gets it more expensive. This is the way of life and if it was at one time good for you then don't look back. Such will only cause you turmoil.

Bottom line you got something for a price you deemed good. You got the extras you expected. You got the cabin you desired.

You can become obsessed and possessed to get the absolute rock bottom price, but at what price to you emotionally?

This applies to cars, cruises, air fare, furnishings and cruises etc.

We are not obsessed with rock bottom price. (we just accepted that the $600pp first drop was just life!) We just want to feel treated fairly....so when the verandah dropped to approx. 1/3 of what we paid and the PH almost half...it annoyed us! When we booked this cruise it was because we thought the itinerary was ok and one we could combine with a land trip we also have planned... although the price seemed excessive for a 7 day, but we had not yet tried Oceania and have always read its an

upscale, exceptional product so decided to go. So to us....we do feel 'taken' by this cruise line. However, we will go and hope for the best re all the problems. We've been on many cruises..love cruising. This is the first where we feel not good about the whole thing...especially Oceania's attitude to customers. However, having lowered our expectations greatly....we are hoping to be pleasantly surprised by them.

• 2 weeks later...

We are shortly cruising with Oceania and our cruise has been substantially altered and our PH grade has dropped 20%.

My TA informs me that Oceania will honour price drops, if booked onboard! Nothing for booking early....not even an upgrade, gratuities or OBC.

I have another cruise booked on Oceania this year.

Not happy.........

We are shortly cruising with Oceania and our cruise has been substantially altered and our PH grade has dropped 20%.

My TA informs me that Oceania will honour price drops, if booked onboard! Nothing for booking early....not even an upgrade, gratuities or OBC.

Not happy.........

Your TA is misinformed. I just confirmed with Oceania: they will honor price drops no matter who you book with. If you are not paid in full, they will lower the fare. If you have paid in full, they will upgrade, give shipboard credit or do both. The same category you've booked has to still be available though.

Along with what Dan says, when prices drop O will drop your price IF there is still availability in your cabin category. If not, they won't.

So ... how can you tell if there is availability in your cabin category? I tried filling out a mock/dummy reservation, but O's website requires your name and contact information in order to give you a quote. I don't want a quote (since we are already paid in full), but I'd like to know how the cruise is selling.

Mura, if memory serves, you've mentioned mock reservations in previous posts. Can you enlighten me as to how to do it? (I don't have a "real" TA, just the TA my alumni association uses.) Thanks!

So ... how can you tell if there is availability in your cabin category? I tried filling out a mock/dummy reservation, but O's website requires your name and contact information in order to give you a quote. I don't want a quote (since we are already paid in full), but I'd like to know how the cruise is selling.

Mura, if memory serves, you've mentioned mock reservations in previous posts. Can you enlighten me as to how to do it? (I don't have a "real" TA, just the TA my alumni association uses.) Thanks!

All that anyone would be able to suggest here, would be that you Google Travel Sites and try to find the ones which feature automated cabin search engines.

It's a laborious process, but I've done it myself, on occasion :p

Two quick answers ...

If you go to oceaniacruises.com and then select a cruise, it will show the cabins and prices below the itinerary. The site indicates if there is a wait list for a cabin level, if it is sold out, if there is availability, etc.

As to the dummy reservation, I just start filling out the booking information. I don't worry about putting in contact information -- that is, it's not a problem for me to do so. Oceania already has it anyway. I enter in the cabin level I'm interested in and the system shows me up to 7 available cabins. If you see 7 listed, it's possible that there are even more. If there are less than 7, those are the only cabins still available.

I just stop at that point because I'm just trying to get the information, not actually book a cruise.

But Jim's suggestion may be less cumbersome!

Mura

Edited by Mura

All you have to do is log on to your account to be able to see cabins available when doing a fake booking

Will someone correct me if I'm wrong, I'm booked in the lowest category of inside on Marina and it's already wait listed. So if a price drop happens I can't be refared in my current category but as long as it's before final payment and perhaps even after I could move up a level or two with the new lower price for those categories

That's a great strategy, especially if you are booking a Carib cruise and you live in FLA. Not so great if you live in CA and want to fly to FLA last minute in high season; or fly to Europe/Asia last minute (premium class); even worse if you want to use FF miles to get an award last minute.

As we do the latter, we book and plan early and try to get some compensation if prices go down later.

Different strokes.....

Concur! Whole different dynamic when you live on the West Coast, as we do. We book early and then monitor fares and such, as well as snagg FF award tix for our air.

Not happy.........

Yes, you are right!! If you book on board the lowest price will be guaranteed if you are paid in full AND even if your category is sold out. Very different than prior to payment and category available. My days if booking early on O are over. Too many price drops on all sailings. Eventually if more do this, O will adjust pricing rules.

Yes, you are right!! If you book on board the lowest price will be guaranteed if you are paid in full AND even if your category is sold out. Very different than prior to payment and category available. My days if booking early on O are over. Too many price drops on all sailings. Eventually if more do this, O will adjust pricing rules.

This is not what Oceania said yesterday when I emailed them. We have conflicting information here. Which is it?

My sailing still has lots of availability and if bookings onboard can receive a price guarantee I fail to see why earlier bookings cannot.

Oceania will not allow OBC, gratuities or other perks as a gesture of goodwill. We take 2/3 cruises a year and will be disinclined to book early on Oceania.

The following is a statement received from my TA following my sending the CC post.

I have referred the cruise critic article to them "Oceania"and below is their response.

The statement is correct for guests that have booked on board as when guests book on board they have the best price promise.

For guests that have not booked on board then we will honour the new promotion as long as it is outside of cancellation charges and we still have availability on the grade they have booked on. If there booking is within cancellation charges or we have no more availability on the grade they are booked on then it needs to go to our managing director who will review the booking and decide if we will offer anything or not.

Your reservation was referred to the Managing Director in line with the above and it was their decision to not offer any compensation for the fare reduction."

My sailing still has lots of availability and if bookings onboard can receive a price guarantee I fail to see why earlier bookings cannot.

Oceania will not allow OBC, gratuities or other perks as a gesture of goodwill. We take 2/3 cruises a year and will be disinclined to book early on Oceania.

The following is a statement received from my TA following my sending the CC post.

I have referred the cruise critic article to them "Oceania"and below is their response.

The statement is correct for guests that have booked on board as when guests book on board they have the best price promise.

For guests that have not booked on board then we will honour the new promotion as long as it is outside of cancellation charges and we still have availability on the grade they have booked on. If there booking is within cancellation charges or we have no more availability on the grade they are booked on then it needs to go to our managing director who will review the booking and decide if we will offer anything or not.

Your reservation was referred to the Managing Director in line with the above and it was their decision to not offer any compensation for the fare reduction."

As much as some posters may dislike Oceania's response, IMO, it is only fair. After all, prices go up all the time and are not passed on to booked passengers. We always have the choice of cancelling and rebooking but may not get the cabin that we wanted.

Because it is an incentive to get you to book on board, something not available elsewhere.

As much as some posters may dislike Oceania's response, IMO, it is only fair. After all, prices go up all the time and are not passed on to booked passengers.

(underlining mine)

That's a good point.

I guess we can't have our cake and eat it too :D

Under the current circumstances it looks like one's best bet is to book a cruise onboard (if one intends to cruise with O in the near future) as you will benefit from any future price reductions (even after final payment) and get $100 OBC as well.

Edited by Paulchili

That is a given, and when you buy whatever , you hope it is the best. You look and evaluate and judge and then all things considered, you decide the price is right and you buy......

Sometimes things go up like Paul said and some times they go down....and some times the stay the same. That is called life. Someone will always pay more and some will always pay less.

The surest way path to upset and frustration is to keep looking back in the rear view mirror and judging your decision of the past by conditions in the future.

Why not just sit back, say well I think thats a good deal and live with your decision....because if it wasn't you would not have acted....Relax and enjoy and quit worrying .

I agree Hawaiidan..

We booked our August cruise last September at a small travel show...As far as we were concerned,we got a good price including 2 pre cruise nights in Rome in a fabulous hotel,all transfers and a concierge cabin,obc and free gratuities.I started looking at prices for about 5 months after booking and still have never seen the cruise alone at the price we got the total holiday.Now I have stopped doing that because we were and ( hopefully) always will be content with what we are paying for a great trip..

:)