Negative Comments

TMO3CCO1

Was there a charge at the hotel?

It was a $60.00 per person fee, BUT you get $40.00 per person vouchers for the food and drinks.. Email me, if you want more details, as it is not a RCCL excursion. rjtindall2001 at yahoo dot com

Thank you! I did read through some of it and thought about posting my question there but it doesn't seem to get as much traffic as this area and I really wanted to get a better feeling for the stops. I'm glad I did! It has made me much more excited just having a better feel from everyone that posted. But with that said I will try not to break the code. Thanks for the tip! :)

PS...it is my first time using the quotes. Look at me...turning into a real pro! And I used the edit option to add my PS!

Edited by TMO3CCO1
additional information

The only thing we've done at Nassau is swim with dolphins at Atlantis and sea lions at Blue Lagoon. I liked Blue Lagoon a lot, they pick you up in a boat and it was a nice ride. We surprised our 9 year old with the sea lions for her birthday and the 3 of us had a great time.

I'm the kind of person who is happy to never get off the ship, that's the best time to swim!

We also did Blue Lagoon when we were there this past January, we did the beach break. It was nice. Granted it's during a slower time but it was a very pleasant and relaxed atmosphere. Lots of activities there or you can just wade/splash around in the water. And the boat ride to and from was nice too. We were told it was for only 4 hours, but found out there were a couple of later boats going back so we extended it to 6 hours. Can't speak to other Nassau activities but this was a good one.

Thank you! I did read through some of it and thought about posting my question there but it doesn't seem to get as much traffic as this area and I really wanted to get a better feeling for the stops. I'm glad I did! It has made me much more excited just having a better feel from everyone that posted. But with that said I will try not to break the code. Thanks for the tip! :)

PS...it is my first time using the quotes. Look at me...turning into a real pro! And I used the edit option to add my PS!

Kudos! :D

Been three times several years ago before we stayed closer to home and sailed mostly out of Galveston. Every time I ported in Nassau, I went scuba diving if that's of any interest at all. Dove some decent wrecks and reefs, and had my personal best diving experience ever, diving with large reef sharks. Never saw much of the island itself since we were on a tight timeframe and just shuttled from the dive boats and back. If you don't dive, this is no help at all...

Edited by Doug S

I think many don't care for Nassau because they prefer many other islands over it. They also don't feel comfortable walking around the area.

Personally I think it is better for those on a land vacation and staying at a hotel.

Keith

We also did Blue Lagoon when we were there this past January, we did the beach break. It was nice. Granted it's during a slower time but it was a very pleasant and relaxed atmosphere. Lots of activities there or you can just wade/splash around in the water. And the boat ride to and from was nice too. We were told it was for only 4 hours, but found out there were a couple of later boats going back so we extended it to 6 hours. Can't speak to other Nassau activities but this was a good one.

I agree, we did this one as well. Very enjoyable and a good lunch included.

We spend the day at the British Colonial Hilton. Great beach, fabulous food, and walking distance from the ship.. It has the "Caribbean" feel we like from a port. As others have said. Make your own opinions.. Most of all: HAVE FUN

We have also done the Colonial Hilton day pass several times. Very enjoyable. A nice short walk to the hotel and very nice. Book online and the cost isn't bad as it includes voucher for lunch and drinks.

Hi all! We are fairly new to cruising. We've only been on one cruise to the Western Caribbean on Oasis of the Seas. We are planning our second cruise now to the Eastern Caribbean on Allure of the Seas. Our stops are Nassau, St. Thomas and St. Kitts.

I've read so many people say they don't like Nassau and they won't even get off the ship at that port. We heard the same thing regarding Jamaica and it ended up being our favorite stop. We booked a private tour and had a great time.

My questions...why don't people like Nassau? Are there areas of concern we should be aware of? If you've been there before what didn't you like and what did you like?

I know many of you cruise a lot and so have probably been there a lot so maybe you are just bored with that stop. What were your first impressions the first few times you went there? What did you do?

Hi! As with all things it is truly what you make of it. I have always enjoyed snorkeling with Stuart cove's dive shop while and Nassau if you have enough time. They are the company that helped out with the James Bond films. They will pick you up at the pier and drop you off when done. Check out their website.

Last year one of my ports was Nassau. I did not like it due to the people being aggressive. Also, another reason is the treatment of horses. I can't remember what it's called but when they offer you tours on horses. The horses are under weight and there was no water in the bowls for them. It had to be 95 degrees out . They look so sad. Online you can see pictures of them getting abused and dying while giving tours and the people of Nassau dragging the bodies down the street. They don't give a crap about life just about making money. The horses are lined up once you walk into the town part. It's so sad. I never want to see that scene again.

How awful! I hate seeing animals abused. It makes me so upset. I wish one of those international animal welfare organizations would help them. I agree that's the last thing you would want to see at what is supposed to be a fun time.

After I wrote the original message I decided to google animal welfare organizations and I am emailing them to see if there is anything they can do to help. This just makes me feel so sad!

Edited by ramanda

In St. Kitts, if possible, do the Volcano excursion. Did it last year.. AMAZING....

Hi Tiger Lady! How was the Volcano excursion as far as physical difficulty? Do you really have to be in top shape to be able to do it? Thanks!

Edited by ramanda

Hi! We are sailing on Allure in August and Nassau is one of our stops. I can't say I have been there before but we are only going to be there from 7-2 and I wanted a reasonably priced excursion for the short time we are there. So I found the Melia resort where you can get a day pass for $35 a person. If you go on their website it just looks beautiful. So I thought that would be a fun and inexpensive thing to do. From what I understand you can take a short taxi ride there

I was at Melia in February and it was really a beautiful resort with gorgeous pools, wonderful beach, plenty of chairs and umbrellas etc. I paid the extra money to include lunch as they have a wonderful buffet- ribs, chicken, pasta salad, potato salad, grilled cheese sandwiches, burgers, fries, chicken tenders etc etc. well worth the money and you can go up as many times as you like. It is clean and under cover but open to the air. if i can find a photo i will post it.

hmm- i can't seem to get them to copy here.

Hi! We are sailing on Allure in August and Nassau is one of our stops. I can't say I have been there before but we are only going to be there from 7-2 and I wanted a reasonably priced excursion for the short time we are there. So I found the Melia resort where you can get a day pass for $35 a person. If you go on their website it just looks beautiful. So I thought that would be a fun and inexpensive thing to do. From what I understand you can take a short taxi ride there

for $1.25 each person each way you can get on the bus that will take you right to the entrance of the Melia. You walk straight out the gate at the port and walk up one block then make a right and walk approximately 5 short blocks (i forget the name of the cross street at this point) but you will see the # 10 bus parked on the left on the side street that will take you there and you pick it up right in front of the melia to come back. It is quite easy. You need exact change or be prepared to just not get change back.

Hi Robinhill! Thanks for the reply. Was it easy to get to the resort with a taxi? Also, did they charge extra for kayaks etc? Where did you buy your pass?

they do charge extra for the kayaks, etc. but we did not rent them so i can't answer how much they are. i am not allowed to tell you the website on here but i can tell you if you google Melia resort Nassau day pass. the first one that comes up is something something something carribean.com. that's the one.

LOL I found the something something Caribbean day pass website! Thanks again

great- print out two copies of the confirmation. one to give the desk when you check in for your wrist band in the hotel and the second to show the folks at the buffet to show that you paid for the buffet. there is no other way for them to know that you paid for the luncheon buffet. :)

I have been to Nassau twice. The first time we did a tour of the island which included a stop at Atlantis. The second time there we got off the ship and just walked around in the downtown area and looked in some of the shops and then went and spent the rest of the day back on the ship. I would never tell anyone to just stay on the ship at any port because just as you had read the many bad reviews about Jamaica you got off the ship and really enjoyed it and it could be the same way about Nassau to you, but you will never know if you just stay on the ship. Howbeit Nassau is not one of my favorite islands and if I ever go there again I would probably do the same again and get off, walk around town and get back on the ship. If I don't get off the ship it would be only because I feel I have been there done that! :cool:

Hi all! We are fairly new to cruising. We've only been on one cruise to the Western Caribbean on Oasis of the Seas. We are planning our second cruise now to the Eastern Caribbean on Allure of the Seas. Our stops are Nassau, St. Thomas and St. Kitts.

I've read so many people say they don't like Nassau and they won't even get off the ship at that port. We heard the same thing regarding Jamaica and it ended up being our favorite stop. We booked a private tour and had a great time.

My questions...why don't people like Nassau? Are there areas of concern we should be aware of? If you've been there before what didn't you like and what did you like?

I know many of you cruise a lot and so have probably been there a lot so maybe you are just bored with that stop. What were your first impressions the first few times you went there? What did you do?

We also love Jamaica and many people will not get off the ship there, one thing Nassau and Jamaica have in common is we have been approached with people selling illegal drugs in both stops which freaks some people out. Nassau is not my favorite but it has some nice beaches, St Thomas is great and also St Kitts have a great cruise

I've been to Nassau a few times. I don't hate it. I don't even dislike it. My experiences there were fine.

I just feel like "been there, done that". I think, for many experienced cruisers, it's the same sort of thing. Sometimes it's tough to find a cruise that doesn't go there or to some of the other ports that seem less popular.

Some of the negatives that people speak of would hardly be noticeable on the first go-round because of the excitement of visiting someplace new. After several visits, that honeymoon glow wears off.

I have been there a number of times and never had a "bad" experience, but I agree with those who say that there are far better port stops. First time visitors can easily find something to do there. If you stay on the main drag, things should be fine.