Independence of the sea dining?

New cruiser with many questions, please help :)

If I do schedule dining for 2, do I get a table for 2 or am I seated in a group with others?

What if I missed my schedule time, can I still walk in and wait for a table?

I'm not a big eater but some reviews said the food portion was small? Am I allowed to order more than just one entree or appetizer?

Any tips will help, thanks.

New cruiser with many questions, please help :)

If I do schedule dining for 2, do I get a table for 2 or am I seated in a group with others?

What if I missed my schedule time, can I still walk in and wait for a table?

I'm not a big eater but some reviews said the food portion was small? Am I allowed to order more than just one entree or appetizer?

Any tips will help, thanks.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

If you are in My Time Dining, then you will get a table for 2, unless you ask to be seated with others.

You can walk in whenever you want, even if you miss your reservation.

You can order multiple appetizers, entrees, desserts, etc.

If you feel the MDR is not to your liking, or feel uncomfortable there, give the Windjammer a try. It is a self serve mega buffet, usually having a similar menu (plus lots more) to what is served in the main dining room that night.

No lines, no hustling waiters, no noise. Just a quiet place for dinner. And you just walk right in, pick a table you like. Go stroll thru the buffet and take what you like. You will find a 'cook to order' station for that night's specials. Servers will stop by your table to offer anything you may have missed. Drinks, deserts, something you could not find? If none stop by, don't be bashful. Get their attention. They are there to help you.

Please don't confuse this with the WJ breakfast or lunch. Dinner there is an entirely different world.

Rick and Deirdra

It is important to remember that you must select My Time Dining or Traditional Dining. You can't switch back and forth.

With MTD you can eat when you want, and request a table for 2.

With Traditional dining you have either early or late seating - approximately 5:30 or 8:30. You can request a table for two, but you are still expected to show up on time each evening.

You can also eat at a specialty (pay) restaurant or Windjammer buffet.

Traditional dining...be there on time. If you "miss" your time, you'll have to use the buffet, room service or some other venue. It's pretty easy NOT to miss your dining time, since it's the same time every day! No confusion!!!

Edited by cb at sea

• 2 weeks later...
We decide to go with traditional dining. So once onboard, do I still need to call/confirm reservation every night?

No need. If unsure about where you'll be seated, I would recommend heading to your assigned dining room once you get on board. They can give you your table number and you can go see if it's to your liking. If you are unhappy with it, they will do their best to find you a better table. We've switched to MTD in the last couple cruises and love it, but have had set time dining in the past and no issues with swapping our table on day 1. Enjoy!

Another possible new RCI cruiser here!

With My Time dining do you have to reserve a table first? Or is it best to? I thought the whole idea of "My Time" was that you can show up when it suits you. I won't know 3 months before how late I'll be out onshore etc.

Also what times are the shows usually - that would help me decide when I want to dine.

Another possible new RCI cruiser here!

With My Time dining do you have to reserve a table first? Or is it best to? I thought the whole idea of "My Time" was that you can show up when it suits you. I won't know 3 months before how late I'll be out onshore etc.

Also what times are the shows usually - that would help me decide when I want to dine.

You do not have to make reservations for MTD, it;s your choice. The theory is that those with reservations will have a shorter wait.

The shows are timed to be convenient for the two traditional dining times, so picking an MTD time near one of those times will work for the shows.

• 1 month later...

Hello. Not sure if you went on your cruise yet or not but you can get a table for two with an assigned dining time. Just make sure you contact RCL and let them know your seating preferences. I just went on a cruise on Independence last month and it was just my mom and I at a table. We had the 8:30 pm seating.

You do not have to make reservations for MTD, it;s your choice. The theory is that those with reservations will have a shorter wait.

The shows are timed to be convenient for the two traditional dining times, so picking an MTD time near one of those times will work for the shows.

Thank you :)