POA - which side for balcony?

tseitel

I believe either side was fine. They go by the Napali coast twice so each side has full view. We were up behind the the buffet at the back of the ship for the Napali coast. It was fantastic! Beautiful lounging area there with great service.

I believe either side was fine. They go by the Napali coast twice so each side has full view. We were up behind the the buffet at the back of the ship for the Napali coast. It was fantastic! Beautiful lounging area there with great service.

Yes, but the closer view would be on the port side, before they turn away to head back.

Also, IF you are going during days with less daytime hours, there might not be as much time for the view after they turn.

A few years ago, starboard was better earlier in the trip, to (hopefully) catch some light from the lava flow into the sea. However, that's not happening now, and the ship now goes around the other direction from Hilo to Kona.

Book and aft cabin to see it all Na Pali Coast and lava if its flowing.

When we were on last week at this time (rather be there still than here) when we were doing the turn around the captain (or whoever was driving) held the aft to face the coast for quite some time.

When we were on last week at this time (rather be there still than here) when we were doing the turn around the captain (or whoever was driving) held the aft to face the coast for quite some time.

I was on this cruise as well. The reason the ship stopped as we were leaving the Na Pali coast was one of the servers in the buffet spotted something in the water and notified the bridge. (We visited with her for some time.) The object looked like a small, orange airplane floating in the water.

We watched as they sent out the rescue boat. The captain announced that they determined that the object was a Navy test drone that had crashed.

Other than this unplanned stop, the starboard side got very little time to view the NaPali coast. If you would like to avoid the crowds, then book a port side balcony (which we did.) An added bonus for us on this cruise was a fantastic view from the port side of the San Francisco skyline and Golden Gate bridge as we sailed away at sunset.

We just got home last night (spent a few extra days on Oahu) but once I get my photos sorted and edited I plan to cover the cruise on my blog. (Link is in my signature below.)

Edited by AryMay

I was on this cruise as well. The reason the ship stopped as we were leaving the Na Pali coast was one of the servers in the buffet spotted something in the water and notified the bridge. (We visited with her for some time.) The object looked like a small, orange airplane floating in the water.

We watched as they sent out the rescue boat. The captain announced that they determined that the object was a Navy test drone that had crashed.

Other than this unplanned stop, the starboard side got very little time to view the NaPali coast. If you would like to avoid the crowds, then book a port side balcony (which we did.) An added bonus for us on this cruise was a fantastic view from the port side of the San Francisco skyline and Golden Gate bridge as we sailed away at sunset.

We just got home last night (spent a few extra days on Oahu) but once I get my photos sorted and edited I plan to cover the cruise on my blog. (Link is in my signature below.)

THanks for the info, that is very interesting. We were by the pool the first part of the coast then went to our balcony for awhile and then packed. We then showered and got ready for dinner around 6:30 and when I went back out was roughly when I noticed us with the aft facing the coast.

It will be neat to see your pictures.

THanks for the info, that is very interesting. We were by the pool the first part of the coast then went to our balcony for awhile and then packed. We then showered and got ready for dinner around 6:30 and when I went back out was roughly when I noticed us with the aft facing the coast.

It will be neat to see your pictures.

I am still sorting photos, but found the ones of the drone so I could show you. These photos were taken from the aft outdoor eating area off the buffet...it definitely caused a little excitement!

IMG_4801.JPG

IMG_4804.JPG