Copenhagen to airport?

Can anyone suggest a way to get from the port to the airport/ I looked up a taxi...$100 is a lot more than I wish to spend!

According to Taxi Fare Finder (and some other websites), the fare from Oceankaj to the airport is around 350 - 400 DKK. At today's exchange rate, that would be around USD 55 - 60, just as CruiserBruce states.

Or, you can do what we did and take public transportation for 36 DKK per person (or $5.50).

We prebought Royal Caribbean transfers from ship to airport for 27.00 each.

Where did you find the transfers? Our cruise isn't until August but I didn't see anything about transfers when I logged in a while back. We are staying at the airport Hilton the night before the cruise and a Royal Caribbean transfer from the airport to the port would be exceptionally convenient.

Where did you find the transfers? Our cruise isn't until August but I didn't see anything about transfers when I logged in a while back. We are staying at the airport Hilton the night before the cruise and a Royal Caribbean transfer from the airport to the port would be exceptionally convenient.

You have to call RCCL and talk to a live person... /Rare these days, but there it is/.

They will want your flight info, but you can explain that you'll be there whenever.

You can ask for an updated statement which shows the charge. It will be emailed.

The booking will appear online, and a voucher will be included with your cruise docs.

You have to call RCCL and talk to a live person... /Rare these days, but there it is/.

They will want your flight info, but you can explain that you'll be there whenever.

You can ask for an updated statement which shows the charge. It will be emailed.

The booking will appear online, and a voucher will be included with your cruise docs.

Thank you!

We prebought Royal Caribbean transfers from ship to airport for 27.00 each.

For two people, a taxi is marginally cheaper, but you get to go when you want and not wait for other people. I figure I paid a lot to get here, so I am using a taxi from airport to Copenhagen central hotel. After 25 hours travelling time I deserve a treat even if the train system is great. It is the walk from the station to the hotel that would do me in.

There is a bus from the port that takes you into the city and to the main train station, there you change to the train to the airport. Of course, you have luggage to contend with and that is a pain. I am not sure, but I think the bus number was 28, someone correct me if I am wrong.

You have to call RCCL ...

If the cruise line is unwilling to come to a hotel for a pickup -- or wants to charge more for a customized hotel pickup -- check with your hotel to see if it offers free shuttles to the airport. You might be able to travel for free to the airport where the cruise transfer will presumably be happy to pick you up at the standard rate.

And here's the answer to a question you did not ask... Most taxis allow riders to charge their fare. Occasionally the charge machines don't work, the typical error mode is if the taxi is on a narrow street surrounded by reasonably tall buildings and the taxi can't connect to the satellite which means it can't connect to the bank. But, generally, count on being able to charge every taxi ride. The charge will be in DKK and the conversion to your local currency will take place when your statement arrives in the mail/online. This means you won't necessarily need to get DKK in advance of your trip or hustle to an ATM in the airport before hopping in a taxi. You'll even be able to add your tip to the ride on your charge card.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

If the cruise line is unwilling to come to a hotel for a pickup -- or wants to charge more for a customized hotel pickup -- check with your hotel to see if it offers free shuttles to the airport. You might be able to travel for free to the airport where the cruise transfer will presumably be happy to pick you up at the standard rate.

And here's the answer to a question you did not ask... Most taxis allow riders to charge their fare. Occasionally the charge machines don't work, the typical error mode is if the taxi is on a narrow street surrounded by reasonably tall buildings and the taxi can't connect to the satellite which means it can't connect to the bank. But, generally, count on being able to charge every taxi ride. The charge will be in DKK and the conversion to your local currency will take place when your statement arrives in the mail/online. This means you won't necessarily need to get DKK in advance of your trip or hustle to an ATM in the airport before hopping in a taxi. You'll even be able to add your tip to the ride on your charge card.

That is what I am going to do on our upcoming cruise in June and I hadn't planned on having any or much Danish currency. Our hotel has a shuttle. What happens if the machine isn't working and I only have a credit card? Also, is it customary to tip shuttle and taxi drivers? What about at the pier - are baggage handlers tipped? I haven't been to Copenhagen since 2004 and we used cabs then, but I don't recall the details.

Edited by mek

That is what I am going to do on our upcoming cruise in June and I hadn't planned on having any or much Danish currency. Our hotel has a shuttle. What happens if the machine isn't working and I only have a credit card? Also, is it customary to tip shuttle and taxi drivers? What about at the pier - are baggage handlers tipped? I haven't been to Copenhagen since 2004 and we used cabs then, but I don't recall the details.

You'll have several options: You can ask the driver to drive to an intersection where the taxi has better connectivity to the satellite and finish the transaction. You can pay in USD, accepting a worse-than-official exchange rate. You can go into your hotel and ask for their help. That may take the form of putting the taxi on your hotel bill and the hotel giving you cash to pay the taxi. Or it may take the form of the hotel exchanging some USD into DKK so you can pay cash.

We tipped everyone you're asking about. We didn't tip USD percentages, but we did tip.

Actually, if you were last in Copenhagen in 2004, the world was a different place when it comes to technology on the go.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

You'll have several options: You can ask the driver to drive to an intersection where the taxi has better connectivity to the satellite and finish the transaction. You can pay in USD, accepting a worse-than-official exchange rate. You can go into your hotel and ask for their help. That may take the form of putting the taxi on your hotel bill and the hotel giving you cash to pay the taxi. Or it may take the form of the hotel exchanging some USD into DKK so you can pay cash.

We tipped everyone you're asking about. We didn't tip USD percentages, but we did tip.

Actually, if you were last in Copenhagen in 2004, the world was a different place when it comes to technology on the go.

So if I only want to have enough cash for tips - shuttle to hotel, cab to port, baggage handlers and then the return trip from the ship to the airport, approximately how much Danish money do you thick we will need? We are going to Norway for 11 days and I really only wanted to take Norwegian currency with us. I'm cringing as I ask this, but would it be hideous if I tipped generously with dollars???

Does the connectivity issue happen frequently?

Edited by mek

Can anyone suggest a way to get from the port to the airport/ I looked up a taxi...$100 is a lot more than I wish to spend!

Very easily by going to the central station and catching the train I think the cost was about 6 euro

So if I only want to have enough cash for tips - shuttle to hotel, cab to port, baggage handlers and then the return trip from the ship to the airport, approximately how much Danish money do you thick we will need? We are going to Norway for 11 days and I really only wanted to take Norwegian currency with us. I'm cringing as I ask this, but would it be hideous if I tipped generously with dollars???

Tipping someone in Denmark with US dollars may not be "hideous", but it wouldn't be very useful to them. Small bills--anything under a $20 bill--are generally harder to exchange and it's a hassle to do so. Even if you tipped well, I don't think the recipient would particularly appreciate getting US dollars.

There isn't quite the tipping culture in Denmark as there is in the U.S. I don't know that the shuttle driver would expect to be tipped, but if you want to do so, plan on 20 - 25 DKK per person. For the cab to the port, expect to tip around 35 DKK. We did not tip the baggage handlers at the port and they did not appear to expect to be tipped. For the cab back to the airport, another tip of 35 DKK would work. So, we're looking at tipping around 110-120 DKK (under $20). Why not get about 150 DKK at an ATM at the airport when you arrive and whatever DKK you have left over can be used to buy sweets or snacks at the airport when you leave.

Tipping someone in Denmark with US dollars may not be "hideous", but it wouldn't be very useful to them. Small bills--anything under a $20 bill--are generally harder to exchange and it's a hassle to do so. Even if you tipped well, I don't think the recipient would particularly appreciate getting US dollars.

There isn't quite the tipping culture in Denmark as there is in the U.S. I don't know that the shuttle driver would expect to be tipped, but if you want to do so, plan on 20 - 25 DKK per person. For the cab to the port, expect to tip around 35 DKK. We did not tip the baggage handlers at the port and they did not appear to expect to be tipped. For the cab back to the airport, another tip of 35 DKK would work. So, we're looking at tipping around 110-120 DKK (under $20). Why not get about 150 DKK at an ATM at the airport when you arrive and whatever DKK you have left over can be used to buy sweets or snacks at the airport when you leave.

I just get a small amount of Danish at the airport before I leave home. My bank probably won't exchange that small of an transaction.

Copenhagen taxis take credit cards, preferably "chip and PIN." The bus driver from the port accepted Euros. (We had just arrived after our cruise and didn't yet have DK for Denmark.)

I would not use dollars anywhere in Europe.

Our ship arrives at the Norde Toldbad port of Copenhagen, not either of the larger ones. We need to book our own transfer from the port on a Sunday morning. Will there be taxis at that location at that time?

I took a cab from port to airport and asked the driver to take a slightly scenic route through town. The charge just hit my cc statement - $47 USD. Best money I ever spent. After spending thousands of dollars on a cruise and feeling great upon disembarkation, it was glorious to just get into a cab, not trudge my luggage up to a public bus stop or deal with ship transfer, and get dropped off at the curb.

I understand that some people would rather save the money (our ship transfer was $30 USD, so the cab was only $17 extra), but I'd rather preserve the glow of the cruise with an easy trip - just my way of looking at it, I guess. Even with the short scenic detour, I was still pleasantly surprised to be under $50 USD. I did tip the driver but don't recall the amount. Modest, like Europe not like US.

Edited by terracool