Am I a fool for considering EZ-air

Loreni

When we flew cross country to meet the cruise ship, for the exact flights booking on my own, same plane etc, we saved 50% off the air fair, when I called princess they couldn't explain the delta. I don't mind a slight higher price through princess for the guarantee, but this was way to much. They said I may have gotten a flash sale from airlines, but only a few seats left when I booked on my own. So price both ways.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

It came in very handy when getting two of our adult kids home from Anchorage last summer. The rest of us continued on for the next cruise. The connections "made sense", and the pricing was surprisingly low.

We normally fly Southwest domestically but when we need to travel where they do not fly, EZ Air makes a lot of sense for us.

When we flew cross country to meet the cruise ship, for the exact flights booking on my own, same plane etc, we saved 50% off the air fair, when I called princess they couldn't explain the delta. I don't mind a slight higher price through princess for the guarantee, but this was way to much. They said I may have gotten a flash sale from airlines, but only a few seats left when I booked on my own. So price both ways.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

Even though we are using EZair for our next cruise, our cruise this past January we booked our own air direct. It was a much better deal. Your right. You have to do comparison shopping. Princess only gets a specific number of flights to offer, it is not always the best deal.

Got to love it......I've never changed an EZ air booking and did not realize it was that simple, more reason to book EZ air. If I understand you only have this flexibility until final payment, isn't that correct? Oh and u do have to book the flexible flight.

You can change your flight up to 45 days of your flight. So even after final payment. Princess doesn't actually pay for your ticket until the 45 day mark..

Per Princess.

With our Flexible air, you can change your flight up to 45 days prior to departure with No Change Fee. Book your flight now with no amount due until cruise final payment.

Edited by Kenswing

Just another tip if you do book your own flight.......

Understand ur insurance.........through the years I've gotten real picking about my insurance coverage and our needs change for each trip especially when we travel abroad.

Make sure you understand what is covered and look at some of the new policies that cover "missing your cruise". Sometimes flight delay only means weather delay not mechanical...also look at the hours for delay etc. and always have a plan(like later flight times)

Recently we booked LAX-ALT-CGD-VCE and yes we were flying in the day of the cruise...I really worked on getting the best trip delay insurance possible.

Our first cruise with Princess almost 20 yeas ago was booked with their air, we were delayed 6 hours due to a mechanical problem, back then the ship in Anchorage actually did wait for us and another couple in fact the staff captain welcomed us aboard...those days r gone...The ships will wait for 100 or more people but just for a few on embarkation day, generally not....

You can change your flight up to 45 days of your flight. So even after final payment. Princess doesn't actually pay for your ticket until the 45 day mark..

Per Princess.

With our Flexible air, you can change your flight up to 45 days prior to departure with No Change Fee. Book your flight now with no amount due until cruise final payment.

Sounding better all the time.....:) But then reading P's statement..again, I do wonder what it really means...... did you change your flight after final payment? and if you did then the rest of my comment has no value.

However, if I am paying for my flight at final payment??? The statement just says no change fees so to me that could mean u could change your times but not necessarily get any refund for your cost, in fact you could pay more just not be accessed a change fee???? Set me straight......

Edited by land lover

I like to look at potential cruise itineraries and use EZ air to get a quick estimate of the airfare might be. Lately some of the airfares Princess is offering look very good...better than I can find elsewhere. Usually, the itinerary is marked "new lower airfares." Has EZ-air been improved, I don't recall prices being so good in the past.

In the past when I have read comments about EZ-air, some people imply only a foolish, unsophisticated traveler would use it. These people tend to be frequent flyers who probably also post on flyer talk (I think that's what it's called). Anyway they list many reasons, that I won't repeat here, explaining why EZ air is not a good idea.

I don't have a particular destination in mind. This is a general question. Also, is it true that I won't get frequent flyer points if I use EZ-air...the prices are so good sometimes, maybe this doesn't matter.

The comments about EZ air scared me, but since I'm not the one paying for the flights I went as cheap as I could find. EZ air beat out by about $50pp. I admit I'm really nervous about it, and flying in general. Will report back in June. Fingers crossed!

[/color]

Sounding better all the time.....:) But then reading P's statement..again, I do wonder what it really means...... did you change your flight after final payment? and if you did then the rest of my comment has no value.

However, if I am paying for my flight at final payment??? The statement just says no change fees so to me that could mean u could change your times but not necessarily get any refund for your cost, in fact you could pay more just not be accessed a change fee???? Set me straight......

I didn't try to change my flights after final payment because the price actually started going up after I took advantage of the last price drop.

Let's see if this link works.. Couldn't get link to work. But the chart for Flexible bookings states

1. Fully Refundable (until 45 days before flight departure)

2. No Fees to Change Flight (until 45 days before flight departure)

3. Pay Later. Flights are paid with your cruise final payment.

Here's more.. http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/travel_transportation_faq/popup/PC_PC_ezair.html#.VwB4A4-cHIU

Edited by Kenswing

Does anyone know if you can change your flights directly with the airline within 24 hours (without going through Princess)? You know how some airlines (i.e. Delta) let you change your flight to an earlier flight within 24 hours for $50.

Does anyone know if you can change your flights directly with the airline within 24 hours (without going through Princess)? You know how some airlines (i.e. Delta) let you change your flight to an earlier flight within 24 hours for $50.

Why would you do that when you could change your flight through EzAir without paying anything?

Our upcoming cruise to Japan will be our second time using EZair. Used it to Australia and it worked great. Of course I did non stop so no connection woes. For Japan we will go nonstop over and coming back will be nonstop to Atlanta and one final connection. Both times the EZair prices have been better. After making final payment, I FAX Princess the request form for early ticketing so that I can book Comfort Plus seats. Delta requires an actual ticket be issued before they will change your seats to Comfort Plus.

Used it both times for our Grand Med cruises, BUT for a cruise out of Florida- EZ air was 40$ more and NOT a direct flight- so I saved 40$ x4= 160 and avoided two flights instead of one!

For Alaska, again fares were way more expensive for direct flights- so I booked direct.

So it pays to check it out and proceed if it works the best for your travel time and $$.

Bernadette

Edited by BratDet
spelling/typing error

Why would you do that when you could change your flight through EzAir without paying anything?

I'd like to arrive a little earlier in the day than what I've booked but the tickets (thru EZAir or direct) are much more expensive for the earlier flight. If they have open seats on the earlier flight 24 hour prior to leaving I can change for $50. Much less than changing now.

I like and use EZair. However, when I flew to Canada, and home from Ft. L., I purchased my own tickets, United and Southwest, much cheaper.

Because my cruises are longer, not to the Caribbean, EZair makes sense for long one way flights, 2014 Heathrow, last year Barcelona and in May home from Denmark. I don't fly enough to have miles, no matter where I check, one way flights are cheaper on EZair.

Have been very happy using EZair especially for one way flights to or from Europe. Cheaper every time. In the states, it depends. Sometimes we book our own flights, other times through Princess. The flexible rules are a plus. You can change flights and not pay until final payment.

We used EZ Air roundtrip to Sydney last year and got a price around $1200pp. Next lowest we could find was around $2300 shopping around.

This year one way back from Barcelona is $380pp, lowest price shopping around was $781.

It has been our experience that the Flexible fare has always been much lower than the one you can't change :confused:

When you book it you have a choice of airlines and times so you can get your miles. I just love it.

[/color]

Our ez air flexible price went down ($300) after final payment in December, but just before the 45 days. Our TA contacted Princess and they credited our credit card. There was no change in the actual flights. We just returned from our trip two days ago and we are very happy with all the flight arrangements we had.

Hello, so if I book ez air flex rate and put in my Delta skymiles number; I should be able to go on Delta site and see my reservation? Correct, yes or no?

If it works the same way as United, yes. When you are making the reservation on the Princess website, there will a screen to input the frequent flyer number for all travelers. After I completed the process, I went over to the United website and the record was there. I was allowed to select Economy Plus seats, and the receipt also shows that we would earn the usual amount of miles and PQM for the trip.

United is now giving miles based on how much you pay for the ticket times 5. Not actual miles flown

Also if you are on a deeply discounted fare,like one purchased through Travelocity,you may only get 50% of the amount paid times 5.

Look at UAL.com and you will see the new chart.

I just flew from Miami to SFO on a ticket purchased through Flex Perks who uses Travelocity and I got only 50% of the amount I paid times 5.

Not indicating I would book directly through UAL to get more miles. Just be aware of the recent changes to the frequent flier program. Other Airlines are also doing this.

Hello, so if I book ez air flex rate and put in my Delta skymiles number; I should be able to go on Delta site and see my reservation? Correct, yes or no?

Correct. I think it was the next day before it showed up on Delta's site.

We just booked EZAIR into Quebec City for this October. First time booking with EZAIR. We've been watching airfares since January - United, American, Air Canada, and West Jet. We were also considering flying into Montreal and taking the train to Quebec City, but today we got a better itinerary for less than the airlines site price. EZAIR flexible tickets were still available so payment is delayed until our cruise fare payment is due and we can make changes up until 45 days of departure.:)