Just Off Equinox Short Review

clk cabriolet

just returned from a 10 night eastern caribbean cruise on the equinox. this was my first cruise experience with celebrity and equinox and in a word, it was "fabulous". i had an aqua class cabin which is similar to a mini-suite on princess or holland america. i always book mini-suites on both lines. the equinox cabin is a little smaller and the balcony is smaller and so is the bathroom, but that was not a deal breaker. the room was wonderful in all respects and the shower is especially nice with water jets everywhere. the room attendants were great and very friendly and really wanted to please their guests. in fact, all of the crew that i came in contact with were wonderful. no complaints with any of them.

in aqua class, you are able to eat in blu, a specialty, mostly healthy food restaurant for aqua guests. and i try to eat healthy meals most of the time. it is open for breakfast and dinner only. i sat at the same table the whole cruise and had the same waiters the whole cruise. they were fabulous and really learned what i liked to eat and didn't like to eat after two days. i always looked forward to seeing them because they were very friendly and happy people. the food was amazing and it's a good reason for me to always book aqua class with celebrity.

the ship is wonderful. i ate in their three specialty restaurants, murano, silk harvest and tuscan grille. they were just ok for me. many people rave about them and some don't. i couldn't rave about them. however, the ship has much better food overall than princess and holland america. i do not eat at buffets but i did go to see the buffet and its size and location on the ship are outstanding. much, much better design than princess or holland america.

i had a wonderful experience in each of the ports: st thomas, st kitts, barbados and st maarten. i had visited all of them except st maarten on previous cruises. to me there is no such thing as an ugley caribbean island nor beach. they are all paradise to me. i do not go to shows and i'm not a drinker, so i can't comment on the bars nor the entertainment. but i had a wonderful experience. i did book a future cruise on the ship. i booked a pacific coastal cruise from vancouver to los angeles on the infinity for sept. 2017 in aqua class, of course. it's an older ship but was just refurbished last month so i'm anxious to read reviews about it now.

if you have any questions, i'll be happy to answer them if i can.

Edited by clk cabriolet

We are taking an Equinox cruise soon with aqua class accommodations. For an anniversary dinner should we reserve a night in Murano or would you just stick with Blu?

I don't mean to hijack your question away from the OP, but we just sailed the Equinox in March with Aqua, and we ate in Murano twice instead of Blu. I just can't give up Murano's lobster, lamb and other scrumptious yummies!!

wayah...i had dinner in murano because someone recommended the lobster. it had to be one of the worst dinners in my lifetime. the lobster didn't resemble lobster. there were two skinny strips of lobster meat (presumably) that didn't resemble a lobster tail at all. because it was cut up into little pieces by the waiter you never taste it in the sauce. the cream sauce covering the lobster was awful too. i should have sent it back but i didn't, i just didn't eat it. i did send feedback about how bad it was and the matre d called me to apologize. he said he had other complaints about it too. he invited me back for another dinner but i never went back. when i boarded the ship, they were offering a three specialty restaurant package for $99 so i bought it. i usually love the specialty restaurants when i'm on a cruise but these three juust didn't work for me.

however, there were some wonderful other items on the menu like rack of lamb, dover sole, venison. my friends' enjoyed those dinners very much so i would recommend going to murano but don't have the lobster in the cream sauce. it's a painful memory for me.

to tell you the truth, i think the food in blu is wonderful for an anniversary meal but its up to you. i also ate in the tuscan grille and the silk forest and both of them were unremarkable meals . i'm sorry but that's my opinion and you can see that someone here thought the lobster was wonderful. food is so subjective. there's no accounting for taste.

Edited by clk cabriolet

We loved the filet in Tuscan and the eggplant parmesan was awesome. We had trouble finding an entree we liked in Blu but we are not big on game birds or lamb. The service in all areas of the ship is spectacular and the staff in Blu is the best. The food is great just not to our taste.

Edited by pinkrosesdeb

I don't think I'd equate Celebrity's AQ to Princess' mini-suite

In what way are they different? DW and I are considering booking an AQ next summer. We have cruised in Princess' a mini-suite so familiar with that.

Your answer will be helpful in our decision making process. Thanks.

In what way are they different? DW and I are considering booking an AQ next summer. We have cruised in Princess' a mini-suite so familiar with that.

I can answer that. Princess mini-suites are larger than AQ cabins. AQ cabins are not really much different than regular veranda cabins on Celebrity, except the newer cabins on deck 11 of M class ships. The shower is the main difference. Mini-suites on Princess have an extra space separate from the main sleeping area.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We did find the AQ1 was a pretty small cabin with limited storage. It was our first time on Celebrity so we weren't sure how to compare. I would compare it to a D1 on an Oasis class ship. We had awesome service from our attendant every day though. And, chocolate on our pillow!

I can answer that. Princess mini-suites are larger than AQ cabins. AQ cabins are not really much different than regular veranda cabins on Celebrity, except the newer cabins on deck 11 of M class ships. The shower is the main difference. Mini-suites on Princess have an extra space separate from the main sleeping area.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

It sounds like a AQ cabin might be too small. I'll do some research on the next larger size. I think it's called Sky Suite. Thanks for your answer.

It sounds like a AQ cabin might be too small. I'll do some research on the next larger size. I think it's called Sky Suite. Thanks for your answer.

Definitely do the Sky Suite, S1 if you can get one! Your choice of dining is great with Luminae, Blu or MDR. That is our favorite way to travel on Celebrity!

yes, there was a special offer if i booked on board. there was only a $100 refundable deposit if i changed my mind. i also received two free perks: free tips for the cruise and a $300 on board credit. i also received a $150 obc because i booked a seven day cruise. that wasn't a special. that would be offered to everyone. it seemed like a no brainer to me!

Definitely do the Sky Suite, S1 if you can get one! Your choice of dining is great with Luminae, Blu or MDR. That is our favorite way to travel on Celebrity!

Thanks for the tip and good recommendation. I'll definitely keep it all in mind.

We like the 'almost' ;) aft mini's on Emerald deck when we sail Princess.

That said all the balcony cabins on Celebrity are the same size, 194 sq ft. and the only reason the book Aqua is to dine in Blu instead of the MDR.

So if you want a larger cabin, you have to move up to something in the Suite category.

EW

i agree. when on princess, i always book the last starbord mini suite on emerald deck. i love the larger balcony. the minis on princess are just larger than the aqua cabins on celebrity. larger closet, more drawers and a little area with a mirror between the bathroom and the main room.

i agree. when on princess, i always book the last starbord mini suite on emerald deck. i love the larger balcony. .

It is perfect for the Ultimate Balcony dinner for 4!

David, did you get to check out the GastroBar? It has become our favorite go-to bar over the Sunset! Just wish it was on all the S-Class ships.

EW

UBD.jpg.9516dcd82652c5b97146471d509db369.jpg

Edited by wallie5446