Will we REALLY NEED to bring . . . ?

mlbcruiser

Mid-May cruise and land tour to Denali Nat'l. Park:

Hiking boots? We'll not likely be doing any true hikes, but we will walk around in the park and in ports. We usually only wear them in snowy places anyway as they are thick enough to keep our feet dry. Plus, they are heavy so add too much weight to our luggage. Plan to be mostly in jogging style shoes. Can use spray waterproofing on those. Suitable for most outings? What about the Deadliest Catch (AK Crab Fisherman's) Tour?

Should we really waterproof our jeans? Don't want to have to buy waterproof pants we'll never use again, most likely. (My ski pants are a bit too thick w the insulation layer in them.)

Like most people, we'd like to avoid bringing tons of stuff with us and finding out we didn't need most of it. Yet if we don't bring it, we'll likely need it! :rolleyes:

I can only speak to my own Alaskan experience, but hiking boots weren't necessary. Our only "hike" in Denali was an hour or so an a well established gravel path. I don't think anyone, other than the guide, wore hiking boots.

As to waterproof pants. Depends on your comfort level getting wet.

Some things you'll likely learn on your tour are that interior Alaska is an Arctic desert, so while it is not as likely that you'll have rain, we did have a very brief shower while in Denali Park Village.

Coastal Alaska is a rain forest. Ketchikan, for example, receives an average of 13 feet of rainfall per year. Both times we've been there, it has been overcast, but hasn't rained. Of our two visits to Juneau, we encountered a light rain one morning. Again, overcast the entire time. We encountered rain both days we were in Anchorage. Neither was a washout. We did see the sun there, as well as in Icy Strait Point, and Skagway.

While your mileage may vary, there's a pretty good chance you'll encounter rain in Alaska.

I have cruised a lot in May. I have never brought hiking boots. I don't own hiking boots, just snow boots. Sneakers work.

I have never water proofed anything. I bring a rain jacket and my backpack has protection in it for my purse and camera.

I know I am going to take a lot of heat on this.

I never travel to cool, cold & wet places without waterproof/rain resistant pants. They dry quickly, fold easily, & weigh very little. They are easy on & off. These pants are a wonderful wind breaker for our Kenai Peninsula Boat Tour & allowed me to spend many hours on the bow taking photos feeling comfortable & warm. ( we encountered no rain on this tour )

As to shoes, I guess that is subjective. I prefer the high-top hiking style boot. Yes I waterproof them or any shoe I would use for an off-shore excursion. I wear them on the plane, so I don't have to pack them. Take them off during the flight & enjoy my heavy warm socks.

A good rain jacket with hood/windbreaker is also a must. I like the gore-tex types or similar product. In combination a with full zipper poly-fleece that is

separate from the jacket. Always thinking layers. All of this with a small backpack to carry unused items & my camera gear.

Any big box sportings goods store, Pro Bass, or Cabela"s would offer many choices of outdoor gear. You can't put it on, if don't have it with you.

Happy Travels, John

I know I am going to take a lot of heat on this.

I never travel to cool, cold & wet places without waterproof/rain resistant pants. They dry quickly, fold easily, & weigh very little. They are easy on & off. These pants are a wonderful wind breaker for our Kenai Peninsula Boat Tour & allowed me to spend many hours on the bow taking photos feeling comfortable & warm. ( we encountered no rain on this tour )

From Phoenix - not surprised. Not used to rain or cooler temps :)

---------------

As a fellow midwesterner (Lincoln, NE), I don't own waterproof pants or shoes. Just winter boots that I wear maybe 2x a year. Been on probably 10-12 Alaskan cruises.

Edited by Coral

How you pack should be based on what climate you are living in - I have seen people from warm dry climates wearing parkas for 60 degree Alaska. Living in the Pacific Northwest, going to this portion of AK is like camping on the Oregon Coast in the early spring.

You need to dress in layers - start with a nice lightweight waterproof outer layer with a hood. I have a lightweight Columbia windbreaker with a hood that folds into the collar. Most of the time I wore jeans - I did pack a pair of snow pants also from Columbia. These are not ski pants, but are simply nylon pants that could be worn over regular pants. Next, work in a couple of layers of warmth based on your needs. For me this is where each person can decide what they might need - for me I usually wear a tee shirt with a heavy long sleeved work shirt from Columbia or Carhart. If it is really cold I also have a long sleeved fleece that I wear instead of the outer shirt.

For shoes, I have some lightweight hikers from Keen - they have a nice tread and are waterproof - plus they look good enough for the MDR. In the evenings I usually take a pair of dockers and two nice collared shirts one short sleeve and one long sleeve.

Also in Mid May you know that Denali Park does not open until June 1 - so if you arrive there prior to that date there will be very little to see.

I'm an avid hiker, have been to Alaska several times and always hike while I'm there. That said, I generally do not bring my boots because of the bulk and weight. My feet would be more comfortable if I brought my boots, but I usually don't. The trails are like trails elsewhere - variable elevation gain, hard packed dirt, and rocky in places. The Alaska trails are like the ones I usually hike in with boots. So it really depends on how comfortable you are hiking in regular sneaks.

As for rain gear, I have light weight rain pants and a jacket. I never go to Alaska without them. I've worn one of both on boat rides - most people were inside because of the rain, and we were out on the deck watching the wildlife and scenery while staying comfy warm. Last summer I went on several hikes in Skagway and it rained on and off the entire time. Again, I stayed dry because of my rain gear. If you don't want to buy rain gear, then at least wear quick dry pants - jeans absorb the water and are really uncomfortable in rain.

I also bring a water proof cover for my camera. Weather in Alaska is variable, and as many have said, it's better to be prepared for the worst...

Thanks everyone and I really appreciate the input. A couple of points that are affecting what we bring:

My dh's walking is a bit impaired as of last fall. That is the reason we won't be doing a lot of hiking or walks longer than 1-1 1/2 mi. Handling very uneven or steep terrain is difficult for him. (Yes, it's certainly been an adjustment as we have always done pretty active things. But you have to adapt to what life hands you!) Guess we'll stick with the Nikes and spray them with the heavy duty waterproofing spray. (I live in Clark clogs most of the time so just wearing totally enclosed shoes is a switch for me! I have Tevas I only wear very occasionally but they are sandals.) Taking into account the advice, perhaps we'll pick up some waterproof pants, leave the tags on them, and if we don't need/use them, when we return home, back to the sporting goods store they will go! I di have a Columbia rainproof (short) jacket w/a hood (question is, will it fit over a fleece jacket, L/S tee shirt and silk long underwear???) We both have fleece jackets and pullovers, plus sweatshirts. In our part of the Midwest, we get temps from below zero to over 100 degrees F. Major humidity at times, rain, snow, ice, oppressive heat, etc. The weather we are having the last couple wks. - rain, clouds, wind, sun, temps between 35 and 75 depending on the day -well, it sounds quite similar to what we should expect in AK in May!

BTW, Denali Nat'l. Park DOES open before June 1. However, the buses only run to the Toklat area (mi. 53, I think) when they first start, about May 20, and since we are doing the land tour last, we'll just make it to be able to go that far in. Of course, to go to mile 90, you have to wait - I think until June 8 or so. Good point, though.

Thanks again for the helpful and thoughtful replies!

We both have fleece jackets and pullovers, plus sweatshirts. In our part of the Midwest, we get temps from below zero to over 100 degrees F. Major humidity at times, rain, snow, ice, oppressive heat, etc. The weather we are having the last couple wks. - rain, clouds, wind, sun, temps between 35 and 75 depending on the day -well, it sounds quite similar to what we should expect in AK in May!

I would say May in Alaska is like April in the Midwest. Except there are far more mountains with snow on them and more trees! :)

Edited by Coral

We are sure hoping there IS snow on the mts! I read a post where someone said there was hardly any last yr. by May. About 2 mos. ago S.E. AK did not have the usual amounts of snow it normally gets by then, according to the stats at that point. But most of all I hope it's not too rainy and misty. Rain is what I wish it wouldn't do, though I realize that is probably about impossible!

We are sure hoping there IS snow on the mts! I read a post where someone said there was hardly any last yr. by May. About 2 mos. ago S.E. AK did not have the usual amounts of snow it normally gets by then, according to the stats at that point. But most of all I hope it's not too rainy and misty. Rain is what I wish it wouldn't do, though I realize that is probably about impossible!

You are probably right about the snow.

I had a very rainy first cruise in July. I came back and did research and historically, end of May and first of June is the driest time in this part of Alaska. I agree with you - I can handle cold, I just prefer not to tour in rain.

What you hear is that the snow is only fifteen feet of accumulation this year instead of the usual fifty feet at the pass.....

Do not despair. There will be plenty of snow on the mountains, when you get here!

Last week we hosted our Buckweat cross country ski racing at Log Cabin and there was such a shortage of snow that some of us local volunteers had to shovel snow up onto the trails so that the skiers wouldn't spin out on the ice.

That was last week.

Now this week they have just put out the notice that they are closing the road up there to shoot down avalanches!:rolleyes:

Meanwhile, just up the road, Emerald Lake maintains its mantle of white and we are all wishing for an early thaw so that the visitor won"t drive by and end up in Whithorse looking for the elusive Emerald!?!

DD

What you hear is that the snow is only fifteen feet of accumulation this year instead of the usual fifty feet at the pass.....

Do not despair. There will be plenty of snow on the mountains, when you get here!

Last week we hosted our Buckweat cross country ski racing at Log Cabin and there was such a shortage of snow that some of us local volunteers had to shovel snow up onto the trails so that the skiers wouldn't spin out on the ice.

That was last week.

Now this week they have just put out the notice that they are closing the road up there to shoot down avalanches!:rolleyes:

Meanwhile, just up the road, Emerald Lake maintains its mantle of white and we are all wishing for an early thaw so that the visitor won"t drive by and end up in Whithorse looking for the elusive Emerald!?!

DD

Thanks for the update. We really loved your round trip tour to Emerald Lake taken week of June 3, 2013. Emerald Lake was beautiful and there was some snow on the mountains.

2914f908-d53e-497c-8d39-8e95b3399433_zpsed21bc21.jpg

That was last week.

DD

We did one of your round-trip tours, too, back in 2014, and we also loved it. We went in mid-May, though, and there was still a lot of ice on Emerald Lake.

Thanks for the snow update, dyeadave! Hope you save some of that avalanche snow and put it back up there in case what's up top melts before we get to see it! ;) (Hmmm. Seems I'd better check out the Emerald Lake tour!)