Age Restriction Question

only a CONNECTING cabin does not require adults being booked into it( interior door between the two cabins)

an ADJOINING cabin( merely next door) would require an adult for booking purposes, but again as everyone has said it is easy to switch sleeping arrangements once on board.

as for the OP the issue may be whether or not they consider a sibling to be valid in loco parentis. there was a pretty long and involved thread recently about a set of adults who were ultimately told that they would not be allowed to board with their entire group since there were too many non related minors traveling with them

An adjoining cabin or a cabin directly across the hall does not require an adult for booking purposes. For the past 3 years my kids have been booked in their own room (not connecting) and I have five future cruises booked the same way. You cannot do this on line but if you call this can certainly be done.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

I certainly don't want a bunch of unaccompanied 18 year olds on a a cruise ship! :eek:

understandable, but I've seen plenty of unaccompanied 30 years acting a fool as well. Now I understand that chances of misbehavior is more closely associated with a younger crowd, but still, something irks me about that. I think about all the unaccompanied 18 year olds that are deemed mature enough to go fight in wars, but can't go on a cruise. I know that might be a played out line, but, 18 is an adult in all legal regards in most parts of the world, and with the exception of car rentals (the normal rate at least) and alcohol consumption, it is in the US as well.

An adjoining cabin or a cabin directly across the hall does not require an adult for booking purposes. For the past 3 years my kids have been booked in their own room (not connecting) and I have five future cruises booked the same way. You cannot do this on line but if you call this can certainly be done.

My experience also. Just off FOS, had kids next door, no connecting door. We were able to book it that way right off the bat.

I'm very jealous you can afford a cruise at that age. It was all I could do at that age to share in an RV rental with 7 other guys to drive to Florida!

I've made up for it though now that I'm all grown up.

Just as a point of clarification...

A cabin directly across the hall from, or next to another cabin but without a door between is ADJOINING.

Cabins with a door between them are CONNECTING.

I used to work in a hotel, and people confusing those two words (99.9% of the time using "adjoining" when they meant "connecting") consistently caused issues. Almost invariably, people would tromp back to the front desk and begin yelling that they requested "adjoining" rooms and there was no door between them, or they were across the hall from each other. Those ARE adjoining rooms. What they had wanted was connecting.

If you desire a door between two cabins, you desire CONNECTING cabins. NOT adjoining.

understandable, but I've seen plenty of unaccompanied 30 years acting a fool as well. Now I understand that chances of misbehavior is more closely associated with a younger crowd, but still, something irks me about that. I think about all the unaccompanied 18 year olds that are deemed mature enough to go fight in wars, but can't go on a cruise. I know that might be a played out line, but, 18 is an adult in all legal regards in most parts of the world, and with the exception of car rentals (the normal rate at least) and alcohol consumption, it is in the US as well.

I am a high school teacher.

I speak from experience.

:rolleyes:

I am a high school teacher.

I speak from experience.

It is amazing how different they act, as a whole (obviously there are individual examples of both good and bad bahviour everywhere) in cultures where the expectations have been higher and the amount of responsibility given to them at young age has been greater

(said as a former high school and junior high teacher in the US and current prent of teens and Scout troop leader in Germany ;) )

Let us know what you find out! DH and I ran into this everywhere when we were first married. It's not just cruise ships! My mom had to check us into the hotel for our wedding night because we were only 20.

Royal makes an exception for married couples.

Can you imagine college spring break cruises? :eek:

Or HIGH SCHOOL graduation/spring break cruises with a bunch of unaccompanied 18 years olds? :eek::eek::eek:

only a CONNECTING cabin does not require adults being booked into it( interior door between the two cabins)

an ADJOINING cabin( merely next door) would require an adult for booking purposes, but again as everyone has said it is easy to switch sleeping arrangements once on board.

Wrong. My kids are booked into a cabin next door to me (non-connecting) on a cruise this summer. So adjoining cabins do NOT require an adult to be booked in them.

understandable, but I've seen plenty of unaccompanied 30 years acting a fool as well. Now I understand that chances of misbehavior is more closely associated with a younger crowd, but still, something irks me about that. I think about all the unaccompanied 18 year olds that are deemed mature enough to go fight in wars, but can't go on a cruise.

18 year olds fighting in a war are generally under a lot more supervision than a group of 18 year-olds on a graduation cruise. In the military they have to report to their superior officers, and make sure their actions don't get them (or someone else) killed, court martialed or dishonorably discharged. A bunch of 18 year-olds on a cruise tend to think they are invincible and act accordingly.

(And before anybody starts in... I know, I know, no one on this forum has an 18 year old that would every act that way. Everyone here has kids who are perfect, would never try to sneak alcohol, blah blah blah. Right. ;))

Agree but I imagine RC didn't just pull that rule out of thin air. They probably experienced an inordinate amount of issues with that crowd and decided to stop. Surely, they would like the added revenue.

I think the rule probably was made to prevent spring-break crowds on the ships. Not sure, just me guessing. I, too, was a young bride (many, many years ago--lol) and if we went somewhere and denied access, I would have been upset. We cruised back in 2001 with two of our daughters and put them in a cabin across the hall. But, my one daughter was over 21 at the time, so I guess that was ok.m

as for the OP the issue may be whether or not they consider a sibling to be valid in loco parentis. there was a pretty long and involved thread recently about a set of adults who were ultimately told that they would not be allowed to board with their entire group since there were too many non related minors traveling with them

Adjoining cabin statement not accurate as precious poster stated. We can list our under 21 kids in a room next to us or even across the hall as long as it within 2 rooms.

But to your specific question as other posters have stated call a good travel agent or RC. It can be done, it might require listing someone over 21 in each room, and then when you get onboard go to guest services and they will give you extra room keys to the rooms you need. Kind of a pain to carry you cruise card and a room key card, but not horrible. But very doable.

Edited by cindivan

As it applies to this thread's topic, are we to assume that cruises with what seems like dozens of 15 year old girls celebrating (and in some cases trying to take over the public areas of a cruise) have a 21 year old in each of their rooms? Based on what I've seen, if this is true, their adult passengers are invisible if they exist at all. Opinions?

As it applies to this thread's topic, are we to assume that cruises with what seems like dozens of 15 year old girls celebrating (and in some cases trying to take over the public areas of a cruise) have a 21 year old in each of their rooms? Based on what I've seen, if this is true, their adult passengers are invisible if they exist at all. Opinions?

For whatever reason, they seem to have different "rules" for those quinceanera groups.

For whatever reason, they seem to have different "rules" for those quinceanera groups.

Reason= $$$$$$ and no consequences. Could you imagine RCI putting a 15 year old off the ship in a port somewhere?? Never going to happen.