Riviera Norovirus Cruise - Should We Ask for Refund or Future Credit ?

CrTrav74

I have read here that Crystal refunds a daily per diem for the days you are confined to your cabin for noro. Each line has their own policy but I think a line that wants to be known as upscale, luxery would invest in customer satisfaction. I also think if you are confined to your cabin for days they would wave the silly room service rules so at least you can eat, especially since the non sick partner is also there.

I would sail on Crystal in a heartbeat....but their Europe itineraries are so boring! Same old ports over and over, nothing unique. Oceania has the best itineraries hands down. I'm not turning this into a Oceania vs. Crystal thread but there are quite a few other factors why I continue to choose Oceania. Every time I get close to booking Crystal, Oceania always pulls me back.

Sorry, just found that previous link doesn't. Following one does. Might be the reason for the policy.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2339211

I have no problem with successful people being compensated. It's the American way.

What an ridiculous comment. Attention seeking? Are you kidding?

I like your handle. You must have you a plan. I doubt most people on CC get it though.

We were on the November Riviera cruise and my husband and I both got the Norvovirus. My husband was better in a couple of days, but I missed almost half of the cruise. They offered nothing. I just checked the CDC and the Riviera had the Norvo virus in November, February, and in March. That is it for us on Oceania. We are going to stick with Crystal and Regent. Yes, Crystal does reimburse you.

Sorry, just found that previous link doesn't. Following one does. Might be the reason for the policy.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2339211

With all due respect, you have bringing up this subject for over a year. What happened on the Riviera (and I believe Nautica) happened in 2016. Perhaps it is time to let this subject go. Frank Del Rio and other top officers of NCHL deserve every penny they received. Had it not been for them, the former "team" of officers might have downgraded the food and service on Oceania in order to save money (there was a strong rumor that the food on Oceania was going to be the first target as it costs the cruise line a lot of money).

When the former Prestige Cruise Holdings team took over the management of NCHL, IMO, it was the best possible result for all three cruise lines. From your posts, you have cruised HAL and will be cruising Azamara this year. Suggest that you try Oceania. The food, service and ships (particularly the Riviera and Marina) are far above anything offered by HAL or Azamara (although Azamara is considerably better than HAL). Perhaps your opinion would change if you tried Oceania (I take my own advice - my opinion changed once I sailed on the Riviera).

We were on the November Riviera cruise and my husband and I both got the Norvovirus. My husband was better in a couple of days, but I missed almost half of the cruise. They offered nothing. I just checked the CDC and the Riviera had the Norvo virus in November, February, and in March. That is it for us on Oceania. We are going to stick with Crystal and Regent. Yes, Crystal does reimburse you.

IMO, you had better stick with Crystal as Regent does not reimburse for Norovirus either. Sorry to hear that you and your husband both became sick. Some winters are worse than others in terms of this virus (according to the CDC). Both Oceania and Regent had illness difficulties this year. If you read about this illness (norovirus as well as gastroenteritis) the cruise lines do everything possible to control it and do not necessarily cause it. It sounds like Crystal is the only cruise line that reimburses passengers for something that is likely not their fault so they are your best bet!

--

I sent the email to Mike Moore. He emailed back saying that he had forwarded it to Guest Relations for their consideration.

That is where I sent the original email. I will probably get the same reply back.

--

I think that you will get a positive reply back. There is a big difference between Mike Moore sending it to Guest Relations than you sending it to them. He is one of the senior executive officers forwarding it over, and based on the reviews that have been posted here, I believe that he will follow up. In any event, please let us know what happens. You certainly have legitimate complaints about Oceania.

Edited by titong

• 2 weeks later...

OP wondered if she should ask for a credit because of the code red on the Riviera cruise of February 12 to 22, 2016.

I posted the letter that I sent to Guest Relations. (Post #5) I got the Norovirus on February 11, 2016, and my husband and I were in quarantine for 4 1/2 days. (We were on B2B cruises) I posted the letter that I sent to Guest Relations and said that we were not getting anything for the time we spent in quarantine.

A poster said that I should email to Mike Moore. Bringing it to his attention might get better results. I emailed the letter to Mike Moore. He emailed back saying that the letter had been forwarded to Guest Relations. (Same place I had written.)

Received a letter back, signed by the same person as the first letter. The reply was "the position of the company has not changed and there will be no additional gestures."

In the following paragraph "opportunity to once again welcome you both back onboard". I doubt it, because of the way we were treated during quarantine.

I was asked to post the results, and that is why I have posted.

Does anyone know if the current April 2016 Oceania Riviera cruise has had any Norovirus outbreaks? We are scheduled to cruise on this ship in early May and would like to know how the current cruise is going. We know about the other outbreaks, which is concerning, of course. Hoping the cycle has broken. Thank you!

We have just returned from the Riviera transatlantic ending in Barcelona. To our knowledge there were no problems and certainly no code red. The only thing we observed was that early in the cruise some crew members with masks were gathered outside the mens washroom near the theatre and it appeared someone had been sick. However nothing developed.... everything was just fine and we had a thoroughly enjoyable cruise.

And let it begin with you. If you don't like the noro posts, don't jump in every time you see one.

It could have begun with you, but i guess you needed to get a last word in. Let it go and end it here.

OP wondered if she should ask for a credit because of the code red on the Riviera cruise of February 12 to 22, 2016.

I posted the letter that I sent to Guest Relations. (Post #5) I got the Norovirus on February 11, 2016, and my husband and I were in quarantine for 4 1/2 days. (We were on B2B cruises) I posted the letter that I sent to Guest Relations and said that we were not getting anything for the time we spent in quarantine.

A poster said that I should email to Mike Moore. Bringing it to his attention might get better results. I emailed the letter to Mike Moore. He emailed back saying that the letter had been forwarded to Guest Relations. (Same place I had written.)

Received a letter back, signed by the same person as the first letter. The reply was "the position of the company has not changed and there will be no additional gestures."

In the following paragraph "opportunity to once again welcome you both back onboard". I doubt it, because of the way we were treated during quarantine.

I was asked to post the results, and that is why I have posted.

Thank you for keeping us informed.

At least you folks or at least some of you heard from Oceania. We were on the sailing 2/22. After returning my husband wrote a letter to Oceania with my husbands letter head thinking that might have some chance of being answered. He is an attorney.Well we were wrong as we now are almost 2 months out and not even a form letter from them. I truly think there are many other ocean and river cruise lines that will be more than glad to take our money and provide a nice vocation. I am very disappointed on how they handle us and so many others.

At least you folks or at least some of you heard from Oceania. We were on the sailing 2/22. After returning my husband wrote a letter to Oceania with my husbands letter head thinking that might have some chance of being answered. He is an attorney.Well we were wrong as we now are almost 2 months out and not even a form letter from them. I truly think there are many other ocean and river cruise lines that will be more than glad to take our money and provide a nice vocation. I am very disappointed on how they handle us and so many others.

Seems to be what they do. Not right but it's their ball.

Ok, since the issue of compensation was raised some time ago , I am jumping in with a comparison.

Oceania did nothing, gave nothing and did not even refund port costs when we missed our two day stay in Bermuda. Yup,I know, it is what it is.

BUT, we are on Westerdam right now on a 33 day cruise in the South Pacific. Had some bad weather and missed some ports. Not the captain's fault nor the ships - he did everything he could.

The Captain reached out to Seattle and we all received $100 obc per person and 15% future cruise credit on any cruise we book (we have one year to book - we don't have to go in one year). AND all our port fees were refunded.

No need to write HAL it was all done on board and we all have our letter.

Quite the difference, no?

Ok, since the issue of compensation was raised some time ago , I am jumping in with a comparison.

Oceania did nothing, gave nothing and did not even refund port costs when we missed our two day stay in Bermuda. Yup,I know, it is what it is.

BUT, we are on Westerdam right now on a 33 day cruise in the South Pacific. Had some bad weather and missed some ports. Not the captain's fault nor the ships - he did everything he could.

The Captain reached out to Seattle and we all received $100 obc per person and 15% future cruise credit on any cruise we book (we have one year to book - we don't have to go in one year). AND all our port fees were refunded.

Yes. But you have to sail on HAL. No thanks

It took long enough but it looks like Oceania has had a change of heart. Another thread on this board is reporting that most people from the Noro cruises are getting some future credits. Just have to keep on pounding and sometimes we can make a change.

Well I will have to eat my words as far as getting a reply back from Oceania. After 2 months we got a letter and a coupon for a 25% on a cruise only to the Caribbean 2016/2017. And only on Riviera. I am sorry but that doesn't cut it for me. I might try another Oceania but not Riviera. To little to late to win me back. Sorry Oceania. Oh might I mentioned it was a form letter also. Perhaps they are winning others but after sailing 2/22 that did it for me. I feel sorry for all those who got sick on all these cruises. And I am sorry I don't think they handle it well.

Well I will have to eat my words as far as getting a reply back from Oceania. After 2 months we got a letter and a coupon for a 25% on a cruise only to the Caribbean 2016/2017. And only on Riviera. I am sorry but that doesn't cut it for me. I might try another Oceania but not Riviera. To little to late to win me back. Sorry Oceania. Oh might I mentioned it was a form letter also. Perhaps they are winning others but after sailing 2/22 that did it for me. I feel sorry for all those who got sick on all these cruises. And I am sorry I don't think they handle it well.

I agree with all you say, but it is at least a partial win for most of us. Oceania needed to do something to save face and this seems to be as little as they can do. But still better than nothing. :(:(