Riviera Norovirus Cruise - Should We Ask for Refund or Future Credit ?

CrTrav74

Thats good they finally did something. I havent sailed with O since my gastro experience in the Riviera. I would like to say it wasnt their problem but at that time they were very lax in dealing with the potential. They did pay the onboard medical expense but that just saved my insurer the expense. Did nothing for a ruined cruise.

Edited by john2003

Ok, since the issue of compensation was raised some time ago , I am jumping in with a comparison.

Oceania did nothing, gave nothing and did not even refund port costs when we missed our two day stay in Bermuda. Yup,I know, it is what it is.

BUT, we are on Westerdam right now on a 33 day cruise in the South Pacific. Had some bad weather and missed some ports. Not the captain's fault nor the ships - he did everything he could.

The Captain reached out to Seattle and we all received $100 obc per person and 15% future cruise credit on any cruise we book (we have one year to book - we don't have to go in one year). AND all our port fees were refunded.

No need to write HAL it was all done on board and we all have our letter.

Quite the difference, no?

Two different situations.

Not unusual for most cruise lines to provide some compensation for a cruise with multiple missed ports.

The norm for most lines when one contracts Noro is no compensation. Booked excursions that cannot be participated in are usually refunded, but no other compensation.

Have seen a couple of exceptions, but that is usually when a cruise is cut short due to Noro, in which case all people on the ship get some compensation.

So if Oceania is offering anything, as some are reporting, that goes beyond the norm for the industry.

Edited by RDC1

Not unusual for most cruise lines to provide some compensation for a cruise with multiple missed ports.

The norm for most lines when one contracts Noro is no compensation. Booked excursions that cannot be participated in are usually refunded, but no other compensation.

Have seen a couple of exceptions, but that is usually when a cruise is cut short due to Noro, in which case all people on the ship get some compensation.

So if Oceania is offering anything, as some are reporting, that goes beyond the norm for the industry.

Oceania offers nothing for missed ports at all, ever.

Oceania offers nothing for missed ports at all, ever.

Depends. Single missed ports, no one does, except in very rare cases. A cruise where multiple ports are missed (comprising a good percentage of the port stops, most usually do. As did HAL in this case where multiple ports were missed.

Also it depends upon the reason for the ports being missed. More likely for credits to be issued if it is missed due to mechanical issues, compared to weather issues. In HAL's case it was weather, but a substantial percentage of ports were missed.

When Oceania had to abort mid cruise a couple of years ago they followed the standard industry practice of refunding the cruise fare, plus a 50% FCC. Compared with Viking Ocean when they had to abandon a cruise do to mechanical problems where they only refunded the remaining cruise days.

Edited by RDC1

Depends. Single missed ports, no one does, except in very rare cases. A cruise where multiple ports are missed (comprising a good percentage of the port stops, most usually do. As did HAL in this case where multiple ports were missed.

Also it depends upon the reason for the ports being missed. More likely for credits to be issued if it is missed due to mechanical issues, compared to weather issues. In HAL's case it was weather, but a substantial percentage of ports were missed.

When Oceania had to abort mid cruise a couple of years ago they followed the standard industry practice of refunding the cruise fare, plus a 50% FCC. Compared with Viking Ocean when they had to abandon a cruise do to mechanical problems where they only refunded the remaining cruise days.

Most cruise lines actually do refund port charges and applicable taxes for ALL missed ports no matter the reason. In fact, agreement was reached and an agreement signed by most cruise lines based in Florida that they all agreed to refund any and all money specifically called out as port charges or taxes after a class action suit was filed. The agreement further stated that any and all money specifically stated as going to any government entity either was required to be paid to the Government entity or returned to the paying passengers and could not be retained by the cruise line.

Does NOT depend !! A few years ago Oceania missed two ports on our cruise and at other times missed one. No refund, ever. They are one of the few or the only one that does this. Not fair. Keeping or money when they should not.

Most cruise lines actually do refund port charges and applicable taxes for ALL missed ports no matter the reason. In fact, agreement was reached and an agreement signed by most cruise lines based in Florida that they all agreed to refund any and all money specifically called out as port charges or taxes after a class action suit was filed. The agreement further stated that any and all money specifically stated as going to any government entity either was required to be paid to the Government entity or returned to the paying passengers and could not be retained by the cruise line.

Was not referring to port charges. Was referring to some compensation for missing the port. Port charges is a return of taxes and fees that are no longer incurred due to the change. As you say that is a normal practices these days.

Was not referring to port charges. Was referring to some compensation for missing the port. Port charges is a return of taxes and fees that are no longer incurred due to the change. As you say that is a normal practices these days.

Not normal for Oceania. They almost never give compensation for anything. Would like to see them in court over these port charges. They would probably loose.

Nope, same scenario IMO except we didn't have Noro. We missed two ports (two days in port). With Riviera we missed two port days (Both in Bermuda)and an overnight which is why many people booked this cruise. We had some bad weather (not the cruise lines' fault on this one and Oceania had Noro)

I totally agree that HAL did not have to do anything. Our captain was proactive and knew this was a bucket list, expensive cruise.

I thought it would be of interest to those interested in compensation It's a complete contrast to my situation on Riviera.

I neglected to mention that we also had a pool party (and it was a fabulous party with entertainment) with free drinks, munchies,etc in appreciation of missed ports as well.

Yes it is normal and for some cruise lines mandatory but, not for Oceania or Riviera. Port fees and taxes are not refunded and that is what is making a lot of people upset. Believe when some people talk about compensation, while your comments are spot on, they are thought of as compensation as well.

Yes it is normal and for some cruise lines mandatory but, not for Oceania or Riviera. Port fees and taxes are not refunded and that is what is making a lot of people upset. Believe when some people talk about compensation, while your comments are spot on, they are thought of as compensation as well.

Well, just what they have paid for and are not getting. Like they are getting robbed.

Port fees have been discussed extensively. Oceania doesn't itemize them so they do not refund them. On a ten or twenty thousand dollar cruise I do not get worked up over this issue. The dollar amounts are very low.

Some cruise lines itemize port charges and we have received some refunds if a port was missed. I remember getting a refund of eleven dollars once. I've also been up charged on board for port fees that exceeded the original itemized amount. We've had letters in the cabin informing us that an additional few dollars would be charged to our onboard account.

We were on the Riviera 12/12/15; between Noro outbreaks.

Today we received from Oceania an apology letter for Noro problems and offered 25% off cruise fare only on the Riviera for any Caribbean cruise in 2016-17.

I thought this was a fair offer.

Well, just what they have paid for and are not getting. Like they are getting robbed.

If the port charge is indeed in the neighborhood of $11 or so (as posted by sammiedawg), I wouldn't get all riled up about it.

If the port charge is indeed in the neighborhood of $11 or so (as posted by sammiedawg), I wouldn't get all riled up about it.

Not riled up. The charges could be 11.00 or 100.00 Does not matter what the amount is. Oceania is keeping something that does not belong to them. That is not the right way to business.

We were on the Riviera 12/12/15; between Noro outbreaks.

Today we received from Oceania an apology letter for Noro problems and offered 25% off cruise fare only on the Riviera for any Caribbean cruise in 2016-17.

I thought this was a fair offer.

I thought it was a fair offer too, until I turned the letter over and read the very small print. Take a look at it. This is NOT combinable with any other offer. So, if the cruise offers OLife amenities, you won't get them if you want the 25% off.

I thought it was a fair offer too, until I turned the letter over and read the very small print. Take a look at it. This is NOT combinable with any other offer. So, if the cruise offers OLife amenities, you won't get them if you want the 25% off.

Have you talked to your TA or Oceania if you book directly with them?

It sure looks like it could work. Don't know how our laws work here but that settlement is a good thing. I hope someone try' s this here. It is time all these cruise company's step up and do the right thing. Good going in the UK

The cruise line settled for a pittance rather than incur huge litigation costs far exceeding settlement. In the us not sure suit is even possible

Maybe it is time to try and show them we won't take it anymore.

The U.K. has laws that do not exist in the U.S. Not everything is better in the U.K. (in terms of cruising).

Having watched and posted on the "noro" threads for too long, I hope that those affected will realize that Oceania's offer is fair. If you do not agree, go ahead and sue them (and be ready to pay court courts for both sides if you live in the U.S. because there is no way that Oceania is liable for anything). What Oceania management is doing is above and beyond what is required.

IMO, you need to get on with your lives and realize that you were a victim of an "Act of God". Whether you miss ports due to Norovirus or weather, you don't have a legal leg to stand on.

If the intent of some posters is to put people "off" of cruising Oceania, I truly hope that it does not work as it is a wonderful cruise line. Perhaps those same people should come to Washington state and try to cause chaos here because there was "noro" in a school. Norovirus can show up anywhere and is definitely not Oceania's fault.

Sorry for the harsh post, however, if you really believe that Oceania will react to these posts, I have ice that I can sell you from Alaska:eek:

When mainstream lines like Celebrity and HAL can refund port charges for missed ports (no matter what reason), cover medical expenses for visits to the Medical Centre (visits and meds during a Noro outbreak), promote stringent hand sanitizer protocals. and in the case of X as I have not sailed HAL refunded a per diem rate for anyone confined to their cabin who comply's with protocols. I can see why people sued.when you are used to better treatment.

The U.K. has laws that do not exist in the U.S. Not everything is better in the U.K. (in terms of cruising).

Having watched and posted on the "noro" threads for too long, I hope that those affected will realize that Oceania's offer is fair. If you do not agree, go ahead and sue them (and be ready to pay court courts for both sides if you live in the U.S. because there is no way that Oceania is liable for anything). What Oceania management is doing is above and beyond what is required.

IMO, you need to get on with your lives and realize that you were a victim of an "Act of God". Whether you miss ports due to Norovirus or weather, you don't have a legal leg to stand on.

If the intent of some posters is to put people "off" of cruising Oceania, I truly hope that it does not work as it is a wonderful cruise line. Perhaps those same people should come to Washington state and try to cause chaos here because there was "noro" in a school. Norovirus can show up anywhere and is definitely not Oceania's fault.

Sorry for the harsh post, however, if you really believe that Oceania will react to these posts, I have ice that I can sell you from Alaska:eek:

Interesting that it is an "Act of God" in the US but not in the UK. I just might take you up on that offer of ice. Probably could use it here in July and August. About Oceania, we love most things that they do and will be cruising again in about 6 weeks, but that does not mean we love everything they do. At times we are not getting what we paid for and they need to step up and correct that. Should not be to hard for them to do the right thing.

Edited by RJB
spelling

Interesting that it is an "Act of God" in the US but not in the UK. I just might take you up on that offer of ice. Probably could use it here in July and August. About Oceania, we love most things that they do and will be cruising again in about 6 weeks, but that does not mean we love everything they do. At times we are not getting what we paid for and they need to step up and correct that. Should not be to hard for them to do the right thing.

Have a great cruise!