Alaska cruise aft suite or Barcelona/Frances/Italy cruise guarentee balcony - help

tlreze

I am currently booked in an AFT suite on the Jewel for Alaska (out of Seattle) with Gratuities, beverage, ultimate dining and $75 shore excursion, but just saw the new bundle pkgs for Europe for the same weekend. I put a hold on a guarantee balcony which includes the beverage pkg, 3 specialty dines, flight, 1 night hotel and transfers. The total is only about $200 more per person.

I would love some opinions from people. I have not done a Europe cruise before and I have never done Alaska either.

Which would you pick and why?

Sailed to both destinations. I would give a slight nod to Europe. St. Peter's is amazing as is most of the rest of Rome. Barcelona was a very pleasant surprise. A great city to tour with much to see and do. Every stop in Europe takes you to places that are steeped in history.

If you are leaning more to spectacular natural scenery than Alaska is a better choice. The Europe cruise is much more cosmopolitan.

Timing wise, Europe is great deal. Paris and Brussels has reduced some travelers appetites to tour Europe. Consequently, some great cruise deals are available this year. The strong dollar also helps with excursions, shopping, etc. Either cruise will be enjoyable, but Europe was a bit more memorable.

I am currently booked in an AFT suite on the Jewel for Alaska (out of Seattle) with Gratuities, beverage, ultimate dining and $75 shore excursion, but just saw the new bundle pkgs for Europe for the same weekend. I put a hold on a guarantee balcony which includes the beverage pkg, 3 specialty dines, flight, 1 night hotel and transfers. The total is only about $200 more per person.

I would love some opinions from people. I have not done a Europe cruise before and I have never done Alaska either.

Right now I would not go to Europe, in fact we are going to AK this summer because of the political climate in Europe. We had wanted a river cruise but it is really too dicey with all of the refugees, at least in our opinion. BTW we have been to AK twice and to Europe twice, so we are familiar with both.

Edited by zqvol

If you have a good deal on your aft suite with all those great perks, that have since been changed up, I would stick with AK. Suite prices have really gone up. If you would do Alaska next year vs this year you might want to price out your suite next year and see if it's still in your price range should you choose to give up the great deal you currently now have.

We sailed in a Haven suite on the Pearl and had an incredible week. Probably one of the best vacations I've had. Also loved Europe but we've always tacked on land journey due to how long it takes for flights. Europe is so port intensive and we were off the ship most days for the majority of the day. Suite, although nice, wouldn't be as desirable to me.

Idk how long each would be for your flights but the email I received on Europe had us flying in day before embarkation and fly out day ship returned to port. With their airfare who knows how long the flights in coach would be and no time to recover from jet lag.

Guess bottom line depends if you would rather have natural beauty, relaxation and pampering or history, hustle and bustle.

I would say Europe as well however with what is going on there I would go with Alaska. We have been to both and they are both amazing. We cancelled our Europe cruise this summer to go to Alaska instead due to the situation there.

I am soooo torn, but all these posts are helping me really think about pros and cons for both and I really appreciate them....keep them coming :)

The flight distance isn't that different for us since we would be from CT to Seattle or Boston to Spain .

The suite on AK cruise is already over $1000 more pp then what I booked at and I do want to see both places. My husband has never been a fan of cruising to AK as he is worried after he sees the glaciers/landscape the first couple days every day will be the same. He is a warm weathered guy but was originally willing to give it a try.

thanks for helping out, I'll check again in the morning :)

My husband had sworn off cruising until I surprised him with the ak cruise in a suite. He loved it. He did get a little stir crazy last day at sea coming back to Seattle but he doesn't gamble or do the shows. We did the south sea kayak trip where they picked us up from kayak trip in a float plane and then we saw tongass. Best excursion ever. We also did a lot of hikes in ports. Coming back to our suite afterward was heaven. Just sitting on balcony for hours watching scenery was fun. Saw whales bubble feeding from spa one day. Those kind of things are pretty memorable.

I actually talked him into the two week Jade this season. But had he not had such an incredible cruise in a suite for ak I know he would not have consented to our upcoming two week non suite on the Jade. Kids and I did same sailing last year. Can't wait to return this year with him.

What Month are you traveling?

We are doing a Europe cruise this summer. I do believe that the shore excursions in Europe will be significantly more than Alaska unless your planning on Helicopter tours so that maybe be one consideration.

What Month are you traveling?

We are doing a Europe cruise this summer. I do believe that the shore excursions in Europe will be significantly more than Alaska unless your planning on Helicopter tours so that maybe be one consideration.

1st week in Sept - I looked at excursions and AK ones are pretty high as well.....I am used to the caribbean and at a lot of islands we just head to the beach, so either way this will be different for us, but I figured in Nov we are going to caribbean beach islands so he can deal with it :)

My husband had sworn off cruising until I surprised him with the ak cruise in a suite. He loved it. He did get a little stir crazy last day at sea coming back to Seattle but he doesn't gamble or do the shows. We did the south sea kayak trip where they picked us up from kayak trip in a float plane and then we saw tongass. Best excursion ever. We also did a lot of hikes in ports. Coming back to our suite afterward was heaven. Just sitting on balcony for hours watching scenery was fun. Saw whales bubble feeding from spa one day. Those kind of things are pretty memorable.

I actually talked him into the two week Jade this season. But had he not had such an incredible cruise in a suite for ak I know he would not have consented to our upcoming two week non suite on the Jade. Kids and I did same sailing last year. Can't wait to return this year with him.

were there things to do at AK ports without spending a fortune on excursions?

We will pick one or two excursions but would love to walk around the area in some ports. My husband doesn't gamble either but will do the shows.........He is used to suite life - done reg suites, Haven, even Garden Villa, but doesn't mind a reg balcony either. He is a fan of the spa on board so if there are things to do at the ports without all day excursions I can convince him to turn it into just a relaxing cruise with multiple messages etc (done that before and he loved it :)) while I enjoy the beautiful scenery

Edited by tlreze

Do Europe! Alaska will always be there, but who knows about Europe. We just cancelled

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

OMG I live in Europe - it might not always be here :eek:

It is funny though because I had thought "go with Alaska because who knows if what will happen because of global warming - but Europe will always be here"

My daughter did an internship in DC last year, we were all fearful for her because of the danger of gun crime (which several of her group witnessed the first weekend they were there) and terrorism. It is all about perception isn't it!!

This cruise will probably be Rome/Naples/Livorno and the South of France.

Although Marseilles is a very cosmopolitan city I dont think that any of those places would be considered any more of a red flag for terrorism than any other country or part of the world.

Why migrants would put you off your cruise I have no idea. Migration is a problem at a national and international levels and obviously at a personal level for those involved, but I am not sure why you would want to cancel a cruise because of migration. On one Med cruise we stopped for about 2 hours to rescue some people from their very unsafe boat off the coast of Spain. I felt very sad that people feel the need to put their lives at such danger but they were not a threat to us.

The two cruises are so very different that I would say the OP should choose depending on whether they want fresh air or history. A first Med cruise is probably not going to be relaxing because there is an amount of research to be done to make the best of ports - unless you can afford private excursions which can add up.

Just my opinion.

Edited by ollienbertsmum

We have done the Caribbean, Hawaii,Alaska and the Med. My favorite of all was my Med. cruise last May. I would go again in a heartbeat!!

I enjoy warm weather and the history in Europe was so impressive to me. With that said I am glad I went last year and understand peoples reservations about European travel. Will the things happening in the world stop me? Only a few places I would avoid, one being Turkey and I have always wanted to go there.

Anyway, the prices of excursions are expensive in Europe but if you join a roll call you may find others wanting to share private tours. We used one with our roll call. The group we used has a website and it shows fellow cruisers looking to share tours. Not sure if I can mention them here but if you look under ports of call Italy you will find out so much info

As for Alaska, it was beautiful but I got bored and did not like having to wear jeans and sweatshirts on a cruise. I am a flip flop kind of girl....

OMG I live in Europe - it might not always be here :eek:

It is funny though because I had thought "go with Alaska because who knows if what will happen because of global warming - but Europe will always be here"

My daughter did an internship in DC last year, we were all fearful for her because of the danger of gun crime (which several of her group witnessed the first weekend they were there) and terrorism. It is all about perception isn't it!!

This cruise will probably be Rome/Naples/Livorno and the South of France.

Although Marseilles is a very cosmopolitan city I dont think that any of those places would be considered any more of a red flag for terrorism than any other country or part of the world.

Why migrants would put you off your cruise I have no idea. Migration is a problem at a national and international levels and obviously at a personal level for those involved, but I am not sure why you would want to cancel a cruise because of migration. On one Med cruise we stopped for about 2 hours to rescue some people from their very unsafe boat off the coast of Spain. I felt very sad that people feel the need to put their lives at such danger but they were not a threat to us.

The two cruises are so very different that I would say the OP should choose depending on whether they want fresh air or history. A first Med cruise is probably not going to be relaxing because there is an amount of research to be done to make the best of ports - unless you can afford private excursions which can add up.

Just my opinion.

Thanks, I thought the same thing about Alaska/glaciers not being there when I read that post .....I am not worried about terrorism either as I spend a lot of time in NYC. I also agree the gun crime in US is much worse then the chances of a terrorism attack (which can happen anywhere). ....Migrants, nope not a problem for us either - so none of those reasons would keep us personally from going to Europe

I am leaning towards the Europe one and just hoping I can do enough research about the ports and hoping we can do some DYI excursions in many ports.

The cruise starts in Barcelona and stops in Naples, Rome, Livorno, cannes and Provence....do you think any of these are DYI ports?

We have done the Caribbean, Hawaii,Alaska and the Med. My favorite of all was my Med. cruise last May. I would go again in a heartbeat!!

I enjoy warm weather and the history in Europe was so impressive to me. With that said I am glad I went last year and understand peoples reservations about European travel. Will the things happening in the world stop me? Only a few places I would avoid, one being Turkey and I have always wanted to go there.

Anyway, the prices of excursions are expensive in Europe but if you join a roll call you may find others wanting to share private tours. We used one with our roll call. The group we used has a website and it shows fellow cruisers looking to share tours. Not sure if I can mention them here but if you look under ports of call Italy you will find out so much info

As for Alaska, it was beautiful but I got bored and did not like having to wear jeans and sweatshirts on a cruise. I am a flip flop kind of girl....

THANKS, this helped...my hubby is worried about being bored and I am a flip flop kind of girl as well.......thanks again, these kind of posts help me make a decision, I appreciate it :)

Thanks, I thought the same thing about Alaska/glaciers not being there when I read that post .....I am not worried about terrorism either as I spend a lot of time in NYC. I also agree the gun crime in US is much worse then the chances of a terrorism attack (which can happen anywhere). ....Migrants, nope not a problem for us either - so none of those reasons would keep us personally from going to Europe

I am leaning towards the Europe one and just hoping I can do enough research about the ports and hoping we can do some DYI excursions in many ports.

The cruise starts in Barcelona and stops in Naples, Rome, Livorno, cannes and Provence....do you think any of these are DYI ports?

We started ours in Rome because that is where we wanted to spend more time. Keep in mind that it is quite a drive/ride from the port to Rome.

As I mentioned earlier, a group tour can be cost saving. We used Rome in Limo while in Italy.

In my opinion seeing Europe now would be the way to go just incase things get worse and travel harder.

Europe is more about the history and art, while Alaska is more about nature's beauty and wildlife.

The cost of flying to Europe is significantly higher than flying to Alaska. Both are great.

thanks....this bundle cruise to Europe includes airfare from my area so with airfare included it is actually a little less then added airfare from East Coast to Seattle

You are considering the cruise that I am going on next week.

I usually find that I just book one ship tourn. This time I have selected Marseilles because it is a shorter day and I want to go to Avignon which is over an hour away by train. Looking at the train times I rather wish I had not visited Aix already because it is just a 15 minute journey from Marseilles - so that would have been an easy DIY.

We have always done tours from Livorno - once with a private group for a wine tasting/San Gimignano and Pisa (going up the tower did not suit all of the party after the wine tasting LOL), once for Cinque Terre and once for Florence (they are quite long journeys). They were all great tours. This time I plan to DIY to Lucca (or plan B if we oversleep we can take the train to Pisa (20 minute journey) and see more of the city).

Naples, Cannes and Rome are easy DIY ports, as long as you are good at time keeping and never plan on coming back on the latest available bus or train (and you would not do that in the Caribbean either would you). Cannes is a lovely destination in itself - this time I hope to go to Antibes for a wander around. I keep meaning to go to Monaco (by train) but I really do fancy Antibes more. The other issue is that Cannes is a tender port and we may take a while getting off the ship so that may limit our time. Maybe next time I will take my 'one' ship tour to Monaco because I hear that the ship tours tend to get off first.

From Naples we have gone to Pompeii, to Sorrento, to Capri (ferry is right beside where the ship docks), this time we may go to Herculaneum and Vesuvius or we may just go into Naples for a pizza and explore a couple of churches. That will depend on DH's knees and what the weather is like.

Rome DIY is well covered in other threads.

Provence is perhaps a place to explore by car if you want to see more than Marseilles or Aix. If you hook up with others sharing shore excursions does keep the costs down and gets you to see much more. I am always on the lookout for shares but they tend to be to places I have already seen.

Go to the Port section and search previous posts as a start for your research.

Bear in mind I speak very little French - enough to read street signs and menus and I speak no Italian.

Bon voyage!

Edited by ollienbertsmum
I cannot spell

Obviously weather is unpredictable no matter when you go but I can say that September in alaska will be colder than Europe. Also, If I were to do an Alaska cruise I would choose June/July as the daylight hours are much longer.

I would not pay for the cruise line tours. Their prices are insane. We have booked our italy tours through ItalyTours.EU The tours are semi private and cost around 99 Euros per person which beats the 200-300 the cruise line wants.

Edited by flapbreaker

I have an Ak and Med cruise booked and if I had to just pick one it would be Med hands down!

I also cancelled a Hawiian cruise this May to go to Portugal instead.

Rome is my favorite city and the world and Barcelona is a close second.

Enjoy whichever you choose.

Lois