I tried to purchase gift certificate on RCI website, but...

My DW, SIL and DN are sailing on Allure May 15, 2016. I thought I would give them a gift certificate for on board credit for those little extras.

I went to the RCI website and entered all of the information. When I clicked on purchase, my screen stated that the RCI website was not secure and would not let me complete the purchase for my internet safety.

So...can I just give the ladies cash that they can deposit with GS on the first day as a credit to their account from day 1? (They each have credit cards on file for onboard expenses with RCI - not cash accounts)

Thanks for any help.

My DW, SIL and DN are sailing on Allure May 15, 2016. I thought I would give them a gift certificate for on board credit for those little extras.

I went to the RCI website and entered all of the information. When I clicked on purchase, my screen stated that the RCI website was not secure and would not let me complete the purchase for my internet safety.

So...can I just give the ladies cash that they can deposit with GS on the first day as a credit to their account from day 1? (They each have credit cards on file for onboard expenses with RCI - not cash accounts)

Thanks for any help.

It's much easier to call and give them OBC: 800-722-5443. The gift certificates are more hassle.

Edited by clarea

Usually there will be a card in the cabin telling the recipients that they have $50 OBC credited to their account courtesy of (insert your name here). One phone call does it all.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

It's much easier to call and give them OBC: 800-722-5443. The gift certificates are more hassle.

Completely agree! Having received gift cards, they are a pain to deal with. They cannot be used onboard or at checkin, so the only option is to apply them to the balance pre-cruise. However, the couple times we've done this, the experience has been "clunky"...can't be applied online, must call RCCL, and the reps are not always well-versed in how to work with them. Based on our experiences, we've instead opted to gift others onboard credit...it is by far a much simpler process for all concerned.

Edited by SuzD123

• 6 months later...
Yes they can do that. That way is much simpler than buying gift certificates. If you manage to buy them they have to be redeemed BEFORE the cruise you can't just bring them with you.

On other cruise lines we have always purchased, for ourselves, gift certificates, and then immediately, redeemed them to our account for OBC. Doing this so that we have OBC before we cruise. We do not use 'credit cards' only debit cards. This way all monies are used long before we cruise. Are you telling me that this does not work on RCCL?