Water for drinking

Rgzeta

Hi everyone! I drink a lot of water normally (probably multiple liters a day), but I'm confused about drinking water on the ship. I've seen comments about people ordering cases of water ($4 for 12 x .5L) or the big bottles in the rooms that are not free. Is the sink water potable? I'm not particularly picky about taste, but I'd want to know to expect any unusual tastes.

Also, can you order "tap" water for free in restaurants? I noticed Bubbles specifically excludes "bottled water", but Cheers seems like gross overkill for water...

Thanks!

The water in the ship is drinkable. When you get on, try it. If you don't like it, order some of the four dollars water then.

Frankly, I am a picky water drinker and I can't even stand the smell of it. But it is safe to drink and if forced to, I would.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I've heard different stories. The cabin sink water seems to be fine but I would bring a refillable water bottle and fill it on the Lido deck. There is filtered water, ice and, if you want to get fancy, lemons.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

We bought a case of water for our room, but also used sink water for pills toward the end of the week. I drank a lot of water from the buffet area machines, and thought it tasted fine, comparable to the bottled water I drink at work (it's a long story, since our tap water is generally I drinkable).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Also, can you order "tap" water for free in restaurants?

Plenty of options...

There are free water and ice dispensers on the Lido. Main dining room and other sit down venues they give you water glass on your table and refill as much as you want (even if you don't want--haha). Many people say the filtered water on the Lido tastes different from the water in your cabin sink. Both are potable and taste like water to me. Bottles of water are cheap and great for port days, and my kids always liked them for individual Crystal Light packs instead of cola.

For me, the ship's water is fine. We still order a case of bottled water to carry into port. I also use it to take my meds. I don't drink out of the cups in the cabin, so the bottled water comes in handy.

The water you drink is the same water in the "port" you are leaving and is than topped off sometimes at another "port" on the trip. When the ship runs out of the "local" water, it than has a desalination plant to handle the rest. Bottom line is that the water can taste a little different on different days, but it is still water, and it is still just fine to drink.

The water in the ship is drinkable. When you get on, try it. If you don't like it, order some of the four dollars water then.

Frankly, I am a picky water drinker and I can't even stand the smell of it. But it is safe to drink and if forced to, I would.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Agree with most of the others here .....

The water on the ships we have been on smells and tastes OK.

Maybe the dislike of the ship's water is somehow tied to a "rampant disdain of Carnival's FTTF program" LOL

Thanks all for the answers. I'm hoping the ship does in fact use the port's water, as I'm fortunate enough to be sailing out of my city, so I know that water is good to drink.

The water, regardless of what port the ship is sailing from, is always safe to drink. The issue is will you be ok with the taste. Many people don't like the taste. I don't even drink water from my own tap because we have hard water and it's noticeable. But to some it doesn't matter.

Thanks all for the answers. I'm hoping the ship does in fact use the port's water, as I'm fortunate enough to be sailing out of my city, so I know that water is good to drink.

I was under the impression the ships desalinized sea water and that water is used for everything on ship (drinking, ice, showers, etc).

The tap water on ships is perfectly fine to drink.

I've been drinking tap water from ships (including Carnival) for 50 years and have never had a problem.:)

Hint: It's not very cold from the tap so is better poured over ice. ;)

LuLu

The water you drink is the same water in the "port" you are leaving and is than topped off sometimes at another "port" on the trip. When the ship runs out of the "local" water, it than has a desalination plant to handle the rest. Bottom line is that the water can taste a little different on different days, but it is still water, and it is still just fine to drink.

Yup.

Sometimes it has been better than others.

You know how New Orleans water can taste?

The lido filtered water is okay.

The table water is fine.

I am salt sensitive and a couple of bottles a day has helped me in the past.

I have not cruised since the bottled water bann started, so we'll see soon (hopefully anyway).

Edited by mzloolue

I was under the impression the ships desalinized sea water and that water is used for everything on ship (drinking, ice, showers, etc).

I, also, have always been under that impression. At home we drink bottled water, our "maybe" 4 times per year reports from our local water department, shows our tap water "iffy" to say the least. We both drink a lot of water and take containers to fill from the bathroom tap in our room, plus add ice. It seems to be no different than the filtered water at the buffets. Have been doing this for years. I really never notice a "taste" of any water, unless it is bad. So, maybe, it is the excitement of the cruise, but, we both swear the water on the ship tastes great. Better than the bottled. Just saying....

The ships can be self-sufficient in making water, if the itinerary allows for it. Water can only be made from sea water when the ship is more than 20 miles from shore, yet water consumption goes on 24/7. So, port intensive itineraries may not provide enough time to make all the water needed, so some will be taken on in port. As you board the ship, look for fire hoses with blue markings on the dock, supported by little blue "sawhorses". These are drinking water hoses.

Shore water can only be taken from locations where the actual hydrant used has been tested within the last month, and met the USPH requirements for safe drinking water. As the water is loaded, it is chlorinated before it goes into the storage tanks to sanitize it.

Water loaded from shore must be kept in separate tanks from the water in use onboard until a coliform bacteria test is done, which takes 18-24 hours. Once the test is completed with a negative result (no bacteria), then the water may be used as normal, and mixed with water produced onboard.

The water onboard, unlike at home, is continually recirculated so that it can be continually chlorinated, and there is a required residual chlorine level at the furthest point from the tanks. So, regardless of what port water is loaded in, it is monitored and sanitized far further than it was by the municipal water authority.

There is one water system onboard, so the same water is used for drinking, washing/showers, galley, laundry, bars, toilets, just like at home.

The water at the buffet drink dispensers, the water the waiters bring at the dining venues, the bar guns, and the ice makers, all have carbon filters to remove the chlorine, not for taste improvement, but to prevent chlorine scale formation in the machinery. Taste improvement, for those sensitive to the taste of chlorine is a by-product. Letting your cabin tap water sit in an open pitcher or bottle for a couple of hours will allow the chlorine to dissipate naturally, and do the same thing as the carbon filters.