2.Signature

3. Vista

4: R-class

5: S-class

6: Prinsendam

What am I missing?

Roy

Volendam/Zaandam !!!!

I can send a better file. Send to my e-mail and I'll send to direct.... if be kindly post a larger file on CC.

prinsendam at Hotmail dot com

Stephen

My goal is to collect enough to use them as decorative inserts around our fireplace - replace the boring gray ones the house came with. And hire a handyman to actually do the work (my husband may balk at adding another item to his honey-do list!)

Like any other collectible, the tiles only have value to those that collect them - there's usually a pretty large selection of them on eBay running between $5 - $20 each.

For once I'm being totally serious. What purpose to the tiles serve, or what do people do with the tiles? Do they have value as a collectible?

Serves nothing than a remembering a cruise with a HAL cruise. Of course you can use them for anything... coaster, splash tile... anything. Value? You might find one up on EBAY for a few dollars. I think for many of us it is simple reminder of a cruise and for that it is priceless!

For once I'm being totally serious. What purpose to the tiles serve, or what do people do with the tiles? Do they have value as a collectible?

Right now I use them as coasters. I have a bunch tucked away for when I re-do my bathroom and will use them as part of my tiling.

I have seen a set of tile used as a coffee table. The frame was made by wrought iron. The top is made of tiles sitting on on a wooden base. Then grouted.

Only drawback.... you might need about $20,000 on cruises to get enough tiles! Do more 7 days cruises. If you do a world cruise you only get ONE! :D

We have a small, square coffee table - wooden frame with 4x4 tiles. That's only 8 cruises for the two of us. The others are up on the wall in o ne room of the house with a bunch of (ever changing) travel pictures - paintings, prints and photos.

We were on the inaugural transatlantic of the Noordam back in 2006 and, in addition to tiles, were given a special round plate celebrating the inaugural season. Does anyone know if they are doing this for the Koningsdam?

Gosh yes! The Inaugural Plates have been done for years.... back at least to STATENDAM in 1957. In addition all of the Grand Voyage and World Cruise plates, special plates etc.

The KONINGSDAM plate has been issued and a photo posted. Very nice indeed. Wait for EBAY and you will find them real soon. Sad, a lot of passengers will just dump them.

Attached... here is the Maiden Trip for the old ROTTERDAM 1959. Small plate, just 6 inches. It went on EBAY about ten years ago for $450. Yes, very collectable. It hangs in my studio.

142786799_ROTTERDAMVMAIDENTRIPPLATE1959.jpg.b5b5b08be7a39f2dd7d8ae6bd6151b5f.jpg

Thanks so much, Stephen! Based on your experience, do you think they will still be distributed for the fall inaugural transatlantic in October?

Based on my experience? When they run out that is the lot!

I've seen maiden voyages and every visitor coming on board for lunch and goes off with a plate. Two days later they are up on EBAY. Sad

I think this particular plate may be very collectable. Good luck!

First item up on EBAY this morning:

Starts at $5.25

FOR SALE THIS LAMINATED PRINT OF THE HOLLAND AMERICA CRUISE SHIP "KONINGSDAM" PRINT IS 8 X 10 SHIPPING IN THE U.S.A. $2.00 GREAT PRESENT FOR THE ONE WHO HAS BEEN ON IT OR THINKING OF GOING ON A CRUISE

PS: It is a photo of the model. :)

If you miss some tiles... just make your own. All it took was a bit of practice, some tiles, manganese and a kiln.

Good fun too!

Easy for you to say......

I love my tiles, and yes, they bring great memories. We wrote the date and ship/cruise on the back of each. They are great conversation starters when we have guests. Was really disappointed when DH dropped and broke one.

Volendam/Zaandam !!!!

I can send a better file. Send to my e-mail and I'll send to direct.... if be kindly post a larger file on CC.

prinsendam at Hotmail dot com

Stephen

Why the "split" in the R class ships?

What's different about Volendam and Zaandam as compared to Rotterdam and Amsterdam?

Why the "split" in the R class ships?

What's different about Volendam and Zaandam as compared to Rotterdam and Amsterdam?

Funnels! AMDM and RTDM have the twin funnels. SADM and VODM have single funnels. Otherwise, yes, you could same were the same class.

Norwegian America Line used to hand out little 'pin trays'. One for each passenger with the dates of the cruise with a little map... all by Rosenthal. They must have spent a fortune supplying to two ships!

723925709_sagafjordpintray.jpg.456a438b1dbbfeeadb562cbaf9d33d4e.jpg