What age demographic does RCI market to?

My boyfriend and I just returned from our first cruise with Holland America on their signature ship and it was horrible. It was like a floating retirement home and felt like we were onboard an assistant living facility. On a positive note we do have to say the service was excellent but the overall experience on sea days was poor because they didn't offer any activities or any good entertainment and the music by the pool was titanic music as my boyfriend would say.

We would like to try another cruise line in the future that doesn't cater to the geriatric population and are wondering if Royal Caribbean offers a wide variety of activities for all age groups. The Oasis Of The Sea, Anthem of the Sea, and Allure look like fun ships but we don't want to be stuck with mostly older people again :/

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

They cater to a wide range, but with the activities like flow rider, rock climbing, zip line, ice skating, etc., as well as a well-regarded children's program, they will tend to attract more young people than HAL.

All cruises have a significant number of older folks, but HAL is notorious in that regard. They are famous for having the highest average age passengers, so wherever you go next is sure to be at least somewhat younger.

Generally, the cheaper the cruise line, the younger the passengers. (RC, Carnival, and Norwegian all tending to be slightly cheaper compared to HAL, Princess, and Celebrity, for example) Shorter cruises also tend to skew younger, anything more than a week tends to be older.

Thank you everyone for responding. We just can't believe how many older people were on Holland America. The rock climbing, zip line etc look like so much fun on these other ships!!!! I feel like crying at how horrible our experience was because everyone else was saying how great their experience was and how much fun they had on RC. We will defiantly look into Carnival, RC, and Norwegian for our next cruise but I'm defiantly leaning towards the Oasis!!!

Edited by beckstarbaby

It was like a floating retirement home and felt like we were onboard an assistant living facility.... We would like to try another cruise line in the future that doesn't cater to the geriatric population...

First of all, I'm really sad that you chose to word your comments this way. There are other, more polite ways to put things. :( Secondly, if you take a longer RCI cruise, or perhaps a Canada/New England cruise, you will absolutely find more of an older clientele on these cruises. Many of the passengers are retired and can afford to cruise, both financially, and time-wise.

As stated, though, Royal caters to all age groups on every ship. On Oasis, we saw 2 year olds and 92 year olds.

Thank you everyone for responding. We just can't believe how many older people were on Holland America. The rock climbing, zip line etc look like so much fun on these other ships!!!! I feel like crying at how horrible our experience was because everyone else was saying how great their experience was and how much fun they had on RC. We will defiantly look into Carnival, RC, and Norwegian for our next cruise but I'm defiantly leaning towards the Oasis!!!

I had a glowing review of HAL from my two aunts who travelled together prior to my first cruise.

I did A LOT of research after that and settled on the Freedom of the Seas.

I'm incredibly thankful I did. I would have been misrerable on a HAL ship.

First of all, I'm really sad that you chose to word your comments this way. There are other, more polite ways to put things. :( Secondly, if you take a longer RCI cruise, or perhaps a Canada/New England cruise, you will absolutely find more of an older clientele on these cruises. Many of the passengers are retired and can afford to cruise, both financially, and time-wise.

As stated, though, Royal caters to all age groups on every ship. On Oasis, we saw 2 year olds and 92 year olds.

I for one thought it was hilarious satirical comment. I'm sure many people in the under 40 age demographic agree.

Wife & I (30s) have been on 2 Princess cruises and 1 RC cruise. We prefer the night time activities on Princess. There was a wider range of night life on Princess. On RC it was mostly dance shows & dancing (we hate dancing).

Daytime activities were comparable - different but both equally fun.

We found the service a bit better on Princess.

Food was a little better on RC.

Hot tubs could be hotter on both.

I think as long as you stay with the shorter cruises 3-8 days cruises, you will find Royal will work fine. As stated earlier, once you start to getting into the longer cruises the crowd get older (I can say that since I'm 63). However, I think you will find that with any cruise line. :D

The time of year has a lot to do with the general age on a cruise. Almost all cruises that occur while schools are in session have a much higher population of older persons on board. Most people on the ships during these time have either raised their children or are retired. You may see some children under the age of 5 but very few school age kids.

Edited by fred30

I heard Carnival is mostly a party ship. We want something in the middle of the road. We aren't obnoxious 20 year olds who just want to drink and party all the time but we want to have a fun time too without being annoyed. That's why we thought RC was kind of that happy medium.

I heard Carnival is mostly a party ship. We want something in the middle of the road.

Carnival has many ships :) You will find the party atmosphere in a big kind of way on Royals short cruises as well. Id say the 7 night cruises on newer ships are more alike than different. I will know in 19 days myself.

Oasis class is in a league of its own.

I can honestly say I would not be interested in a HAL cruise even for free though. Ive read WAY too many comments about their ships being a retirement home at sea where everyone goes to bed about dark. No thanks

Edited by ryano

I heard Carnival is mostly a party ship. We want something in the middle of the road. We aren't obnoxious 20 year olds who just want to drink and party all the time but we want to have a fun time too without being annoyed. That's why we thought RC was kind of that happy medium.

My husband and I are 30 & 29 respectively. We do not party all night but like to have options for things to do and Royal Caribbean has those options. Nightly game shows, karaoke, live music, DJs/dancing, dance lessons, wine tastings, cocktail mixing classes, piano bar, late night comedy, etc. Freedom is one of our favorite ships, like Allure too. I think you'd be happy with either. Also all the activities during the day are great- rock climbing, ice skating, mini golf, florider, etc.

My boyfriend and I just returned from our first cruise with Holland America on their signature ship and it was horrible. It was like a floating retirement home and felt like we were onboard an assistant living facility. On a positive note we do have to say the service was excellent but the overall experience on sea days was poor because they didn't offer any activities or any good entertainment and the music by the pool was titanic music as my boyfriend would say.

We would like to try another cruise line in the future that doesn't cater to the geriatric population and are wondering if Royal Caribbean offers a wide variety of activities for all age groups. The Oasis Of The Sea, Anthem of the Sea, and Allure look like fun ships but we don't want to be stuck with mostly older people again :/

You will see people of all age groups, from 2 to 92 years old. But the key to the Royal experience is the activities on board. Ships that have rock climbing, zip line, flowrider, Ifly, bumper cars, highly regarded children's programming are family friendly therefore kids of all ages.

The music on board will be Latin to high energy club style to romantic soft music....lounges cater to all kinds, cruisers need to check out the Cruise Compass to find what they are looking for. Classes from yoga to dance to trivia games. You can be busy or relaxing by the pool.....but every age will be entertained if they want to be entertained.

Nightly entertainment in the theater, nighttime adult games (and they are adult only games) so everyone can be happy and busy til the wee hours.

Read what the various ships have to offer. LOTS!

OMG!! That's exactly what we want is options for things to do like you listed.. We want nightlife and entertainment but fun activities to do during the day like rock climbing and mini golf. We literally sat and listened to elevator/titanic music by the pool for 7 days no joke.. Seriously [emoji31]

We will research the Freedom and look more into the Allure also.. Thank you so much!!

OMG!! That's exactly what we want is options for things to do like you listed.. We want nightlife and entertainment but fun activities to do during the day like rock climbing and mini golf. We literally sat and listened to elevator/titanic music by the pool for 7 days no joke.. Seriously [emoji31]

We will research the Freedom and look more into the Allure also.. Thank you so much!!

Don't give up on cruising.....but maybe wait another 20 + years to return to HAL. Give Royal a try....you will probably like it.

My boyfriend and I really enjoyed cruising for the first time (guess it's true that it gets addicting huh?) we just won't sail on Holland America lines for another 20+ years [emoji38]

My boyfriend and I really enjoyed cruising for the first time (guess it's true that it gets addicting huh?) we just won't sail on Holland America lines for another 20+ years [emoji38]

At least you learned you like to cruise, now to find the right cruise line.

Many factors go into the average passenger age. The length of cruise is a big factor, but so is what day of the week it departs. That drives lots of younger/working peoples' decision.

Having done a few back-to-back cruises (two consecutive cruises on the same ship), it can vary greatly from week to week. Party ship one week, quiet and reserved the next.

Itinerary and time of year will also heavily drive the average age. Just ask anyone who's been on a Sat-to-Sat or Sun-to-Sun 7-day Caribbean cruise during spring break!

OP - I feel you. I did a 12-day Mexican Riviera cruise. The average age was probably over 60 and every night the halls were lined with bumper-to-bumper scooters. It was still a good cruise.

We are older (me 40, wife 39). We cruised Carnival from NY to Canada a few years back and had an older crowd. The staff on board still made it a very fun trip though.

When we sailed Disney, with our kids, we had a blast. Tons to do for everyone....all the time.

We are hoping our cruise on the Anthem in June to Bermuda is filled with all ages. Its 5 nights out of NY, so we are expecting a wide range. We like to stay up late, drink, dance and participate in activities.

I review on another site when we travel, not real detailed usually, but seeing how much it helps people I think I might review ours when done.

I think RCI is that happy medium. We've sailed on Princess and Carnival too but always go back to RCI. I think the shows are top notch. Something for all age groups.

I don't consider 39 and 40 "old". If you were on Holland America you would be considered young and if you're into dancing and enjoying a few drinks you would be given dirty looks.. it's almost as if it wasn't "proper" or "appropriate" to enjoy yourself and company .. Not even kidding!!

I would defiantly suggest reviewing your cruise and putting your input because it honestly does make fellow cruisers more informed. Had I known that Holland America was that much of an older demographic I would have said thanks but no thanks to the family member who gifted us the cruise.

Edited by beckstarbaby