Norwegian Epic passenger mugged in Palermo

Traveller20074

OldGoat is merely alluding to the fact that this isn't a particularly newsworthy event.

Actually, I think it is good for these to be posted every now and then so new cruisers are made aware... It also serves as a reminder to more experienced cruisers.

I was on this cruise and this is the first I am hearing of this unfortunate incident. I was a little concerned about port safety prior to taking this cruise, but found very strong police presence in all the ports especially heavy in Barcelona and Rome.

When we stop in known "pickpocket ports" I keep an empty wallet in my back pocket. I figure let the thieves try to steal something of zero value, while my money is in a pouch under my shirt. Still haven't had my pocket picked yet.

Before giving much credence to thsi report, you need to consider the source. The link is to an upstart web site, that is supposedly for crew members, and the head line is sensationalized.

No one was mugged. there was a robbery and a piece of jewelry was stolen. This doesn't make the offense any less troublesome, but it was not what it seems. This was clearly a crime of opportunity and not something that was planned or designed to target any specific individual. We also need to remember that this type of stuff happens multiple times every day in many major US cities.

The moral of the story is be aware of your surroundings when traveling and don't flaunt your valuables including watches, cameras, and jewels.

My parents were targeted by two individuals on a motor bike. These robbers knew my parents had money, and who had control of the valuables (my mother, who had just done a currency exchange). My parents were with another couple touring Europe, and were at a border crossing.

They had to be targeting my parents because they knew who had the money (and passports). She put her purse between herself and the backseat door. They were stopped in a line of other cars waiting to cross. The robbers drove by the car at a slow rate of speed, and the guy on the back stuck his hand into the back seat and took her purse, and drove away at a faster speed.

They were not flaunting anything, nor was she reckless. They simply knew who to target just by watching people.

This all transpired in 1965.

Before giving much credence to thsi report, you need to consider the source. The link is to an upstart web site, that is supposedly for crew members, and the head line is sensationalized.

No one was mugged. there was a robbery and a piece of jewelry was stolen. This doesn't make the offense any less troublesome, but it was not what it seems. This was clearly a crime of opportunity and not something that was planned or designed to target any specific individual. We also need to remember that this type of stuff happens multiple times every day in many major US cities.

The moral of the story is be aware of your surroundings when traveling and don't flaunt your valuables including watches, cameras, and jewels.

I would agree with you that tourists need to be vigilant at all times and to be careful about jewelry and cameras.

But I guess I have a different definition of "mugged" than you. To me, getting mugged means getting robbed. There doesn't have to be a physical injury or even a threat of force. At least that's how I would define it.

I would agree with you that tourists need to be vigilant at all times and to be careful about jewelry and cameras.

But I guess I have a different definition of "mugged" than you. To me, getting mugged means getting robbed. There doesn't have to be a physical injury or even a threat of force. At least that's how I would define it.

Mugged means to be robbed in a violent or physical manner.

The one, major "rob me", sign I see over and over, is people with neck wallets swinging from their necks in FULL view, having credit cards, passports etc. I've seen this many times.

What's wrong with these people???? I don't get it. Same with the cruise key card swinging from lanyards. Same as saying, I'm a visitor and leaving soon- take what you want.

Wear ANYTHING from your neck- INSIDE your shirt.

Opportunity plays a BIG part in pickpockets/muggings. Criminals, want the easiest acquirement.

Edited by Budget Queen

I leave my wedding ring and diamond at home. I purchased an understated plain band to wear when we travel. It was inexpensive so if it gets stolen it is no big deal. I would be devastated if something happened to my real weddding ring. Rule of thumb for me is if I can't stand the thought of losing it, I don't bring it. :)

What do you feel about losing a finger for a cheap piece of junk?

I can't figure out this kind of thinking. I am going to leave my good stuff at home and wear this cheap stuff that looks close to the REAL thing. I am sure the robbers know the difference and if they don't, I will just give it to them.

Leave your jewels and the fake stuff at home. Is your finger/life worth wearing it?

Sooo... when I'm at port in Italy and France in 2 months on the Epic, should I not wear my wedding rings and right hand diamond ring? (Serious question)

My wife and I don't bring our wedding bands or rings on any European trip. Less is always better when traveling abroad.

Is wearing a backpack too much of a target on my back? Should I stick with across the chest bags?

I always wear a small backpack on my hikes, walks, etc so I'm pretty used to it and didn't consider another option for when abroad until reading this.

My wife and I don't bring our wedding bands or rings on any European trip. Less is always better when traveling abroad.

That would be great except my wedding band has been there for 40+ years and I can no longer remove it!

Is wearing a backpack too much of a target on my back? Should I stick with across the chest bags?

I always wear a small backpack on my hikes, walks, etc so I'm pretty used to it and didn't consider another option for when abroad until reading this.

unless you're walking around with small kids in tow why is there a need for a backpack at all :confused: i would think it may draw unwanted attention.

unless you're walking around with small kids in tow why is there a need for a backpack at all :confused: i would think it may draw unwanted attention.

Backpacks cause way less back/shoulder pain for me (arthritic 20 something - unfortunately) so they are always my go to. It may cause unwanted attention though you're right, I'll have to look into some comfy travel bags depending on the port!

I leave my wedding ring and diamond at home. I purchased an understated plain band to wear when we travel. It was inexpensive so if it gets stolen it is no big deal. I would be devastated if something happened to my real weddding ring. Rule of thumb for me is if I can't stand the thought of losing it, I don't bring it. :)

I do the same thing. Bought a band from Brighton for under $60 for my first trip to Europe and Epic cruise. Now whenever I travel I just wear it.

Edited by 2specialkidsforme

Backpacks cause way less back/shoulder pain for me (arthritic 20 something - unfortunately) so they are always my go to. It may cause unwanted attention though you're right, I'll have to look into some comfy travel bags depending on the port!

good luck and stay safe. ;)

Backpacks are one of easiest bags to "pick pocket". I'd never carry something that isn't in my sight or instant reach.