Best Beach Spot at Labadee?

cjdixon4

Been on many private islands and there weren't different names for the beaches, that was my question.

Wasn't asking about sandy and rocky areas, just saying

BTW, Thanks for the map :)

Well, when there's more than one beach, how else would you identify which is which other than labeling them? :confused:

OP here again, back from a great Freedom sailing with a little update.

Hubby and I set up camp at the first beach area we saw at Labadee (Barefoot Beach, I think?). It had rained pretty hard early that morning, and for a while it looked as though we wouldn't be able to get off the ship. The weather however, did let up...so we walked to the beach.

Hubby set up our lounge chairs on the sand right where we could watch the zipliners fly across the water, and right near the bathroom facilities. Long story made short, there is a sign posted that says "NO SWIMMING." Everyone who was in the water was either wading, tossing a ball around, or simply standing at the shore letting the water wash up on them. I decided to join the crowd and wade around a bit. I now understand why everyone seemed to be so tentative and stepping so gingerly in the water...ROCKS. Big ones, small ones, every size in between. And of course, who steps on a rock with a sharp edge? Yep, MOI. LOL...:rolleyes:

I didn't realize until I got out of the water that the heel of my left foot was cut and oozing blood. I managed to get the medical staff at the beach to assist with cleaning the wound with antiseptic and wrapping it. Once I got back on the ship, I went to the Medical Unit who further examined it, determined that no stitches were needed, AND administered a tetanus shot...just in case. Kudos to the RCI medical staff, who were extremely attentive to my needs and checked on me daily. Best of all, they charged me NOTHING for any of my treatment. I couldn't ask for better! Moral of the story for me, I will be investing in my first pair of water shoes for my next scheduled sailing. Might be a little something you'll want to consider as well. Just saying...;)

OP here again, back from a great Freedom sailing with a little update.

Hubby and I set up camp at the first beach area we saw at Labadee (Barefoot Beach, I think?). It had rained pretty hard early that morning, and for a while it looked as though we wouldn't be able to get off the ship. The weather however, did let up...so we walked to the beach.

Hubby set up our lounge chairs on the sand right where we could watch the zipliners fly across the water, and right near the bathroom facilities. Long story made short, there is a sign posted that says "NO SWIMMING." Everyone who was in the water was either wading, tossing a ball around, or simply standing at the shore letting the water wash up on them. I decided to join the crowd and wade around a bit. I now understand why everyone seemed to be so tentative and stepping so gingerly in the water...ROCKS. Big ones, small ones, every size in between. And of course, who steps on a rock with a sharp edge? Yep, MOI. LOL...:rolleyes:

I didn't realize until I got out of the water that the heel of my left foot was cut and oozing blood. I managed to get the medical staff at the beach to assist with cleaning the wound with antiseptic and wrapping it. Once I got back on the ship, I went to the Medical Unit who further examined it, determined that no stitches were needed, AND administered a tetanus shot...just in case. Kudos to the RCI medical staff, who were extremely attentive to my needs and checked on me daily. Best of all, they charged me NOTHING for any of my treatment. I couldn't ask for better! Moral of the story for me, I will be investing in my first pair of water shoes for my next scheduled sailing. Might be a little something you'll want to consider as well. Just saying...;)

The one under the zipliners is Adrenaline Beach -- that's not the one for swimming.

Nellie's and Barefoot beaches are across the road from where you were, and Columbus Cove is farther down on the same side as Nellie's and Barefoot. All of those are sandy with minimal waves, perfect for swimming.

So you can bring water shoes if you want next time, or you can just go to a sandy beach more suitable for swimming and leave the shoes at home.

Glad to hear that you had a great experience with the medical staff -- my plan is to be a cruise ship nurse after I get my kid out of the house. :)

Wondering if we should bring our snorkeling equipment/beach shoes to Labadee or just hang out at Columbus Cove to relax.

Is there any decent snorkeling at Labadee?

Glad to hear that you had a great experience with the medical staff -- my plan is to be a cruise ship nurse after I get my kid out of the house. :)

Thanks brillo. I found out later that I could have walked a bit further down for a "non-rocky experience". I'll know better next time. Yeah, the med staff was absolutely wonderful. Are you serious about being a cruise ship nurse? Wow...how cool is that. :cool:

Would love to hear the answer to that too! :D

Labadee is over fished from the locals using the fishies as a form of their food.

Not much great snorkeling unless you just want to flipper around and some coral, eels and rock formations.

Safe travels.

Labadee is over fished from the locals using the fishies as a form of their food.

Not much great snorkeling unless you just want to flipper around and some coral, eels and rock formations.

Safe travels.

Thanks Lionesss! Will definitely take that in consideration when pre booking shorex for Labadee!

Wondering if we should bring our snorkeling equipment/beach shoes to Labadee or just hang out at Columbus Cove to relax.

Is there any decent snorkeling at Labadee?

Would love to hear the answer to that too! :D

There's really nothing to see at Labadee. Your other ports of call will have better snorkeling options, IME.

I will admit that I've never done an RCI-sponsored excursion at Labadee, so I don't know if they take you somewhere that actually has decent snorkeling. But from any of the beaches, there really isn't anything worth looking at.

Thanks brillo. I found out later that I could have walked a bit further down for a "non-rocky experience". I'll know better next time. Yeah, the med staff was absolutely wonderful. Are you serious about being a cruise ship nurse? Wow...how cool is that. :cool:

Absolutely! I just changed jobs a couple months ago so I could get the Critical Care experience under my belt that is required for cruise ship nursing.

The pay isn't that great compared to nursing in a facility on land, but you get a private room, officer status, uniforms provided, and days off on board and/or in port. With no expenses for rent, utilities, food, etc., and I'll be debt-free by then, it doesn't matter that the pay will be minimal. Plus, my son will be able to visit and cruise with me for minimal cost, too.

Columbus Cove

No need for water shoes, soft white sand in the water, pavilion for BBQ, steel band for rhythms, palm trees for shade, restroom facilities and near the aqua park.

All the way in the back on the right side.

Can go to by ferry boat at pier, by tram at first roundabout or just take a walk.

How far is the walk to Columbus Cove. If you take a trolley do you have to wait a long time for it.

Thanks

The walk at an easy pace should take about 15 min. It is a nice hard sand road or you can walk on the concrete like side walks. Level. partly shaded.

If you do not want to walk take the tram or the boat at the pier.

We walk it and take in the sights and love it.

Great place,

Just saying

Just checking to see if anyone knows about how far it is to Columbus cove and if the walk is a level or hilly walk.

I only rode the tram. I don't remember it being hilly. If you have older people or lots of stuff to carry... take the tram!

• 1 month later...

I was reading some reviews and a lot commented on how rocky labadee is. Are there certain parts that aren't rocky? Seems like this one might be an option. Any other areas? I'm gonna look into the water park for my 6 and 13 month old.

Because it's in the Caribbean?

Not sure what your question is... many places that are oceanfront have sandy and rocky areas. Being private or not has nothing to do with it -- it's simple geography.

Have you seen a map of the area? If not, click here. That might answer your question.

Thank you for posting this map, I will print it and take it with me when we dock. I'm assuming this whole area is walkable, hopefully less than 30 mins. Would you happen to recommend a beach that is best for swimming, i.e cleaner, less rocky or sea shell-y. Thanks in advance.

Thank you for posting this map, I will print it and take it with me when we dock. I'm assuming this whole area is walkable, hopefully less than 30 mins. Would you happen to recommend a beach that is best for swimming, i.e cleaner, less rocky or sea shell-y. Thanks in advance.

No need to print the map -- they will include one with the Cruise Compass in your room the night before.

Columbus Cove is sandy and large / easy to find a chair. And yes, the whole area is walkable, plus they also offer a shuttle service for free.

So just trying to organize plans... We cruise this week! Been 3 years since we have been to Labadee and want to settle on the right beach. Do I have this all correct? Adrenaline is rocky, Nettie's has the costly play structures in the water and Columbus Cove is soft sand, no rocks in water and a nice beach? Do I have that all correct? Missing and beaches? Thanks!

So just trying to organize plans... We cruise this week! Been 3 years since we have been to Labadee and want to settle on the right beach. Do I have this all correct? Adrenaline is rocky, Nettie's has the costly play structures in the water and Columbus Cove is soft sand, no rocks in water and a nice beach? Do I have that all correct? Missing and beaches? Thanks!

There's also Barefoot Beach for Suites and Pinnacle guests. If you're not in a Suite, I would definitely go to Columbus Cove, IMO, it's one of the best beaches on Labadee, besides Barefoot Beach. The sand on Columbus Cove is soft, no rocks, nice beach, it's quiet, plenty of palm trees for shade if needed and your close to the luncheon buffet. Take the (one way) ferry over to Columbus Cove and the tram to go back to the ship.

We've been on Anthem quite a few times already and love the entertainment, there's so much to do on board. The crew is outstanding, the service is great, can't wait to go back on her again in September :)

Have a wonderful time on Anthem!!!!!

Where do you get the ferry and what does it cost Columbus Cove? is it not walkable?

When you get off the ship, you will see the ferry on your right and there's also a sign on the pier indicating where to catch the ferry. The ferry and beaches are all free on Labadee. Columbus Cove is about a 15-20 min. walk, due to the heat, we have also taken a tram to Columbus Cove, which you catch at the first roundabout as you enter the island, just ask any employee as you enter Labadee where to catch the tram for Columbus Cove.

Thank you!!!

You're welcome :)