How long does it take for the ship to leave miami port?!!

J P

Greetings cruise family!

I was just wondering if anyone knew the length of time it took for the ship to leave Miami port and 'get out into open water?'

I am researching for a travelogue and I need accurate timings for a drone that we are planning to take shots of the ship as it sets off!

Thank you so much in advance

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Is your question about getting away from the dock or out of the harbor or offshore?

One big problem you might encounter is that the timing of lines being cast off is not exact. Often it can vary by 30-60 minutes. The ideal way to capture a timed event with a drone would be to have the drone and its' controller in a position to see when the ship begins to leave. Another alternative would be for you to text them.

Greetings cruise family!

I was just wondering if anyone knew the length of time it took for the ship to leave Miami port and 'get out into open water?'

I am researching for a travelogue and I need accurate timings for a drone that we are planning to take shots of the ship as it sets off!

That would depend on which berth the ship was at, which way it docked (does it have to turn around), and your definition of "open water". Do you mean at the end of the jetties? Outside the traffic separation zone, where the ship is free to maneuver as desired?

Greetings cruise family!

Greetings and welcome to Cruise Critic!

When leaving from Miami, it actually depends. We've done two cruises out of Miami and each took different times.

Our first time was in 2010 and there were two other ships with us in port. Our ship, Carnival Glory, was docked facing the downtown area. Because she was facing the downtown area, we had to back away sideways from the dock then headed toward downtown Miami to turn around in what they refer to as the "turn around basin". When the ships do this, you get great views of Miami. Once turned around, you'll head out to sea. That can take about 45 minutes to head up the channel, turn around, then head back down the channel and out.

The second time we cruised out of Miami in 2014, our ship, Carnival Liberty, was docked facing the ocean. There were three other ships with us and we were the last to leave but since we didn't have to turn around, it only took about 20 minutes to get out into the ocean.

As cb at sea mentioned, after leaving Miami, you will still see land for quite a while afterwards, even though you'll be in open water.

Greetings cruise family!

I wonder if that is legal? Drone's aren't allowed around stadiums, I can't imagine flying one near a cruise ship is a good idea.

Greetings cruise family!

See if You can watch one on port of Miami live web/cam .;)

http://PortMiamiWebcam.com/

Outside the traffic separation zone, where the ship is free to maneuver as desired?

got ya engineer .... unless there has been an international law change recently, there is

NO

traffic sep' zone near Miami . . .

remaining in the dredged channel until past the sea buoy is a different issue

Maybe the engineer should restrict his comments to engineering and leave the navigation and operations to the guys with windows . . . . altho on my last ship we did have TV cams so the basement guys would stop calling every 5 minutes "what going on .... what going on"

There's seaplanes that "dock" on the other side of the cruiseport and we had a plane passing by our ship when we left Miami. With other words not a area where you want to fly a drone. I have a drone and I have had it with me on a 21nts cruise, but I would not fly it near Miami cruiseport.