Are My Time Dining Reservations Necessary?

Our situation is similar to the original poster. We have always done traditional dining at 8:15/8:30 on our cruises. Some family members just came off a cruise for two, and loved MTD, so we thought we'd give it a try since it'll only be four of us, instead of our normal group of 20-25. The email to make reservations for MTD caught us by surprise because we thought we'd just show at a the time we wanted, and get seated, which we know we may have to wait, which is no big deal. We haven't been on Royal in a while, and this is the other parties first time on Royal. We know we're going to go Chops one night, and another specialty restaurant another, just not sure which one until we get onboard, or in the weeks ahead. Is it necessary to make reservations for MTD?

Our situation is similar to the original poster. We have always done traditional dining at 8:15/8:30 on our cruises. Some family members just came off a cruise for two, and loved MTD, so we thought we'd give it a try since it'll only be four of us, instead of our normal group of 20-25. The email to make reservations for MTD caught us by surprise because we thought we'd just show at a the time we wanted, and get seated, which we know we may have to wait, which is no big deal. We haven't been on Royal in a while, and this is the other parties first time on Royal. We know we're going to go Chops one night, and another specialty restaurant another, just not sure which one until we get onboard, or in the weeks ahead. Is it necessary to make reservations for MTD?

Reservations not required. You may be urged to make reservations when you get onboard, but it's up to you.

Edited by clarea

Reservations not required. You may be urged to make reservations when you get onboard, but it's up to you.

OK, Thanks again!!! I think I posted this in a couple of areas, so that I can give the other parties an answer tonight.

...Is it necessary to make reservations for MTD?

It is not necessary to make reservations, but as with every other issue on Cruise Critic, there will be divergent opinions on the merits of reservations.

There are some passengers, like me, who think it runs contrary to the spirit of MTD to make reservations for a small table. Some nights we are hungry earlier or later than other nights; some nights we want to see the show and some nights we don't. We like the flexibility.

We tend to dine later (after 8:00pm) and have only had to wait when we requested a table with a specific waiter.

It is not necessary to make reservations, but as with every other issue on Cruise Critic, there will be divergent opinions on the merits of reservations.

There are some passengers, like me, who think it runs contrary to the spirit of MTD to make reservations for a small table. Some nights we are hungry earlier or later than other nights; some nights we want to see the show and some nights we don't. We like the flexibility.

We tend to dine later (after 8:00pm) and have only had to wait when we requested a table with a specific waiter.

Thanks for the response. We already have our entertainment booked, and were starting to stress out over trying to coordinate dinner with what we have booked. We're usually late eaters, but this cruise it'll be whatever time fits the entertainment and port schedules.

Reservations are not "required" but if you think you might want to go during the prime MTD times between 7-8pm I would highly recommend it, if it is not blacked out! You can always adjust once you are on board. We always let them know if we have changed our plans to free up the table for people that have not made reservations.

Having said that, I have been doing MTD for years and have rarely had a problem until the last couple of cruises - one on Celebrity and one on RCI. Both cruises claimed they didn't have my reservation in their system on the ship. If the times are important to you I strongly recommend taking a print out of your reservations after you have made it.

Thanks for the response. We already have our entertainment booked, and were starting to stress out over trying to coordinate dinner with what we have booked. We're usually late eaters, but this cruise it'll be whatever time fits the entertainment and port schedules.

We are having the same dilemma. IMO, having to make reservations, defeats the entire purpose of MTD. I understand there could be a wait. We always do it on Carnival, and I think the longest we had to wait was maybe 15 minutes.

We already booked our shows, so now when I go in and look at the available dining times, they just don't work. It's frustrating. We are going to do the hibachi one night, and Giovanni's table another. I don't want to eat at the Windjammer for the other 5 nights. Sighhhhhhh.......:(

I think we'll just wing it and take our chances......

I'm guessing this is doubtful, but do they happen to have call-ahead (or drop by to the maitre d) service where you can asked to be put on the list to be seated in 20 minutes or so? I'm thinking it would be SO much easier to just stop by the dining room on the way back from an excursion, get on the list, and then go back to the room to freshen up.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I'm guessing this is doubtful, but do they happen to have call-ahead (or drop by to the maitre d) service where you can asked to be put on the list to be seated in 20 minutes or so? I'm thinking it would be SO much easier to just stop by the dining room on the way back from an excursion, get on the list, and then go back to the room to freshen up.

No call ahead service per se, but you can stop by the MTD desk and make a reservation for a specific time if they have that time open.

I'm guessing this is doubtful, but do they happen to have call-ahead (or drop by to the maitre d) service where you can asked to be put on the list to be seated in 20 minutes or so? I'm thinking it would be SO much easier* to just stop by the dining room on the way back from an excursion, get on the list, and then go back to the room to freshen up.

Edited to add: *Easier for us. Certainly more complicated for the maitre d, I suppose.

Edited by Bound4Bermuda

As previous poster mentioned. Busy time is between 7 and 8 pm. That is the time

that is in the middle between early and late dining. One of the reasons that it is indeed

busy at that time. Many of us don't want to eat that early for first seating, and many don't

want to eat that late for second seating.

Think of it like a busy restaurant that recommends reservations, but it is only a that...

a recommendation, especially if you want to come at their busy time. There is no guarantee

a table will be sitting empty simply waiting for you to arrive in either case. We have started

making reservations, but don't like the way most ships are now doing the "black out" times

for MTD. That makes it seem pointless to us now.

Very frustrating to find black out time between 5:45-7:30 when we like to dine at

6:30 - 7:00 pm. But we have found if we show up early, around 6:30 we can usually get

seated right away. The line waiting to be seated gets nuts just after 7:00 for that 7:30 time slot.

Edited by island lady

Thank's for the "head's up." 6:30 it is, then! I feel that the cruise lines have taken away the value of my time dining. Additionally, if the dining experience was just a little faster, they could seat more people in a timely fashion. On our last cruise I never saw a sunset because we were always rushing off to dinner before sunset in an effort to not have to wait until way too late. Sometimes we chose the buffet, but others we just wanted to dine instead of just eat :-)

Just a suggestion, but when taking into account the apparent confusion and frustration with MTD Dining vs Classic Dining, RCI may wish to consider reinstating two dining seating times in the MDR at 6.30 PM and 8.30 PM.

All the RCI ships I have sailed they still do have the traditional two seatings in the MDR. MTD only takes up a portion of the dining room on one level. There are still traditional early and late seatings going on at the same time as MTD.

We have used MTD dining exclusively since its inception and never encountered the confusion and frustration you speak of. We think it's the greatest thing. But that's just us.

Does anyone know what the leeway is on arriving on time for a MTD reservation? We have one made that is 10 minutes after a show gets out that we are planning to see...I'm cautiously optimistic that we will make it on time, but am wondering just how late we can be and have them still honor the reservation? There are no later options to change our reservation to...

Does anyone know what the leeway is on arriving on time for a MTD reservation? We have one made that is 10 minutes after a show gets out that we are planning to see...I'm cautiously optimistic that we will make it on time, but am wondering just how late we can be and have them still honor the reservation? There are no later options to change our reservation to...

I'd visit or contact the MTD desk that day and tell them you might be a bit late. They may be able to adjust your reservation to give you more leeway.

• 3 weeks later...

We have a group of 10 going and we want to go ahead and make our reservations for MTD so we can sit together. I'm concerned if one couple decides not to join us for dinner how that would impact our reservation. Any ideas?

We have a group of 10 going and we want to go ahead and make our reservations for MTD so we can sit together. I'm concerned if one couple decides not to join us for dinner how that would impact our reservation. Any ideas?

When you arrive at the host/hostess station, just tell them that you are actually 8 that night. No big deal. :)