Which port to skip. Mahogany Bay or Costa Maya

missmfb3

I will be staying on the ship in Costa Maya. Been there done that. We have a tour in Roatan though and Ive never been there. I will have to stay on also in Belize because of the wheelchair and tendering issues. From everything I read, I wont be missing much :o

If I had never been to the port I would get off the ship for an hr and walk around than get back on the ship. Ship will still be pretty empty.

Other than that

Costa Maya you need to get away from the port to enjoy it

Mahogany bay is right there to enjoy when you get off the ship

Edited by jonbgd

Due to last minute scheduling issues on a cruise a few years ago we had to skip Belize and instead went to Costa Maya. There's a beach that's very pretty and the water is very calm but unless you're interested in seeing ruins, there's just not much to do. It may have changed in recent years but we got off the ship for a couple of hours and then got back on. We did love Roatan though and it's now one of our favorite ports. For us, Costa Maya would be an easy one to skip.

We have both of these stops on an upcoming cruise and plan to skip Costa Maya. We've been to that area before and done what we wanted to do. Roatan seems easier to make a more interesting day out of.

So did you go there thru the ship or an excursion outside the gates?

I booked it ahead of time on their website. We got a group of more than 10 people so we got a discount. There was no deposit required. You walked through the gates and they were there wearing their "Frenchy's 44" shirts (that's the restaurant's name) and took you in the van. Their names are Dave and Larry if I remember right. Very professional. Best excursion ever! It's not available through Carnival.

Edited by firemanbobswife

I booked it ahead of time on their website. We got a group of more than 10 people so we got a discount. There was no deposit required. You walked through the gates and they were there wearing their "Frenchy's 44" shirts (that's the restaurant's name) and took you in the van. Their names are Dave and Larry if I remember right. Very professional. Best excursion ever! It's not available through Carnival.

Great Thank You

Personally, I would not skip either. However if I had to pick one, it would be Costa Maya, only because I have been twice (and loved it), but have never been to Mahogany bay, (but have been to Roatan). As another poster above has suggested, you can easily just get off for an hour or so in Costa Maya, and still return to a very quiet ship. But have to say, not far from the port at Costa Maya is the town of Majahual, a quaint little beach town, not touristy and overrun like Cozumel. So it would be hard for me to pick either of these port stops to stay on board.

We have never been to either port but wanted to stay on board to enjoy the ship, when there are less people, on one of these days. Of the two, which should I skip? :confused::confused:

I would not skip either....Costa Maya could do the melacon in a couple hours and still enjoy the empty ship. We love the beach and melacon. I love Mahogony Bay so would not ever skip.

We really liked going to the Tropicante in Costa Maya. Great beach day, great food, cheap and fabulous massages.

I agree the Tropicante and others in that area offer a great beach day with service food and drink for a terrific price, you do have to get out of the port area though.