Radiance Specialty Dining With Kids?

Hi, my daughter will turn 10 while on board the ship and I'd like to treat her to a specialty restaurant (along with the other 4 people in our party). It's been a very long time since we were on RCCL. Which specialty dining would you recommend? Will they allow a 10 year old (who is very well behaved)? All the other members of our party are adults. Her birthday also happens to be the 4th of July. The Japanese restaurant is not for her, though. The others she'd be happy with.

We took our son to Giovanni's when he was 5, and he loved it. That would be my first choice. Last year, he was 6 and we tried Sabor. He liked that too. Have not tried Izumi or Chops as there is nothing on the menu that would really appeal to him.

Thank you! I'm wondering if they do anything special for the 4th of July (just in general) in the MDR.

Just one cruise, but we didn't have anything special in the MDR on the 4th of July.

Edited by clarea

Under 12 years, they prefer you book an EARLY dining slot.....but yes..she's allowed.

You are some what correct...A few years ago RCI did recommend that families with children under age 12 opt for early dining reservations at the specialty restaurants...However that has changed...their not only welcome anytime but they now offer a discounted rate of $10.00 ;)

On Radiance last October we took both our kids (6 & 3) to all speciality restaurants with the exception of Chops. They did state in the daily program that kids were not allowed in Chops, but like everything, I bet it wasn't enforced. However we did Chops twice and didn't see any kids.

I'd also recommend Giovanni's for a 10 year old, however if you want something different and they are good eater then maybe Izumi would be good too.

Is it really the case that kids aren't allowed at Chops? We booked the 5-night specialty restaurant package for our June 12-night on Brilliance and were planning to go to Chops twice. Our DD, who will be 13 just before our sailing loves a good steak! If Chops is out, I'll cancel that package and either book the 3-night package or skip it.

Is it really the case that kids aren't allowed at Chops? We booked the 5-night specialty restaurant package for our June 12-night on Brilliance and were planning to go to Chops twice. Our DD, who will be 13 just before our sailing loves a good steak! If Chops is out, I'll cancel that package and either book the 3-night package or skip it.

Kids are allowed in Chops. The only restaurant that kids are not allowed is Chefs Table and the specialty dinners with wine pairings.

Kids are allowed in Chops. The only restaurant that kids are not allowed is Chefs Table and the specialty dinners with wine pairings.

From the RCI Website

9. Are children allowed to dine in our Specialty Restaurants?

Chops Grille and Portofino: All guests 13 and over are welcome; children under 13 years may book only before 7 p.m. Thereafter children under the age of 13 are not allowed. All guests under 18 years of age must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.

That is old info, no restrictions for kids anymore, except as noted by Ken above.

And according to the US website kids 13 and up do not even need to bring their parents. I'd better not let my kids know about that or they will be sneaking into Giovanni's without us to have a filet.:eek::D

Q: Are children allowed to dine in our Specialty Restaurants?

A: Children younger than 13 must be accompanied by an adult. Plus, kids ages 6-12 now dine at our specialty restaurants for only $8, and kids 5 and under eat free! Little sailors get their very own menu – a round-up of kid-friendly favorites from the "grownups" menu. Reservations can be made online or onboard at the restaurant based on availability.

And according to the US website kids 13 and up do not even need to bring their parents. I'd better not let my kids know about that or they will be sneaking into Giovanni's without us to have a filet.:eek::D

Q: Are children allowed to dine in our Specialty Restaurants?

A: Children younger than 13 must be accompanied by an adult. Plus, kids ages 6-12 now dine at our specialty restaurants for only $8, and kids 5 and under eat free! Little sailors get their very own menu – a round-up of kid-friendly favorites from the "grownups" menu. Reservations can be made online or onboard at the restaurant based on availability.

Children 5 and under always eat free....children ages 6-12 can vary by ship $8.00-10.00

Would an 11 & 12 year old have to choose from the kid's menu or would the regular menu be available for them with no extra charge? They would be insulted by a kids menu and are adventurous eaters.

Kids are free to eat off the adult menu but they will pay the adult prices.I had the same problem with my 2 kids at that age. No way they were eating off a kids menu.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Kids are free to eat off the adult menu but they will pay the adult prices.I had the same problem with my 2 kids at that age. No way they were eating off a kids menu.

Ouch! Prior pricing showed a reduced price for kids but nothing as low as $10. Hopefully it would be somewhere in between. Guess I will find out soon. Thanks!

Ouch! Prior pricing showed a reduced price for kids but nothing as low as $10. Hopefully it would be somewhere in between. Guess I will find out soon. Thanks!

We've been eating with our kids in Specialty restaurants for the past 3 years and never saw any reduction in price other than the $10 kids meal that started about a year ago.

What would a kid's meal look like? Say in Giovanni's? I have visions of us stopping by the buffet later if my daughter doesn't get filled up. She is NOT an adventurous eater. She'd be happy with a plate of pasta. Also, in general, are gluten free offerings available? We were spoiled with them on our last cruise.

Edited by cruisingwithcarrie

I think this will depend on the restaurant manager. We have taken our son and had to request the children's menu. I have read that some people have been allowed to order off main menu but we're still charged the kid's price, but others were told that they would be charged full price if they order off the main menu - you may not find out until you are on board. I will say that the kids menu is limited set of offerings - I have seen sets of three appetizers, three main courses, and three desserts. Some were same as were on main menu (but maybe smaller portions) some were different. For example, Giovanni's offered spaghetti with butter, red sauce, or meat sauce on kids menu but that was not on main menu.