On flight hand baggage allowances

MerlinsMum

Reading on the Monarch site, who we will be using for our flights, their cabin allowance/hand luggage is max size 56x40x25. this is the size of a small case, which is good,as I have one I use to visit my daughter.

But, is that as well of, or including my shoulder bag/purse, where my passport tickets etc will be kept.

very confusing (for me, anyway).

You may want to call the airline directly. Asking on here may or may not get you the correct answers. Most, if not all, airlines allow one carryon bag (small suitcase) plus a small case (purse, messenger bag, laptop case, etc.) that will fit under the seat in front of you.

Edited by beachbum53

In our experience the low cost Euro airlines enforce a strict one bag policy.

Best to look up the luggage allowance online.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

On the Monarch website, (http://www.monarch.co.uk/faq/flights/baggage/hand-baggage-zb) they say this:

You have two options for hand baggage:

(a) One piece of hand baggage no bigger than 56 x 40 x 25cm (including wheels and handles. There’ll be a size gauge at the airport to check this) and no heavier than 10 kilos, plus a small duty free bag from the departure airport.

Or

(b) Two separate pieces of hand baggage, as long as the combined size is no bigger than 56 x 40 x 25cm (including wheels and handles.) and the combined weight no heavier than 10 kilos, plus a small duty free bag from the departure airport.

This means there’s no need to choose between your bag and your laptop. And you won’t have to cram everything into one bag at the departure gate.

There is limited space on board, and we are sorry but on busy flights we cannot guarantee that we can fit all baggage in the cabin. Taking two smaller bags and placing one under the seat in front of you will help to avoid your baggage being placed in the hold.

ahh I think I get it now. reading it again, I understand my small case, which is just in the confines of their measurements, and my normal every day bag, will be allowed, as well as the bigger case I check in that goes in the hold.

Thank you:)

ahh I think I get it now. reading it again, I understand my small case, which is just in the confines of their measurements, and my normal every day bag, will be allowed, as well as the bigger case I check in that goes in the hold.

Thank you:)

No. Your small case and handbag must both fit into the above mentioned dimensions and the measuring guage they use at the same time. If not, then you'll have to check in your small case. Can't you use the front pouch on the case for your documents and purse, then padlock it.

No. Your small case and handbag must both fit into the above mentioned dimensions and the measuring guage they use at the same time. If not, then you'll have to check in your small case. Can't you use the front pouch on the case for your documents and purse, then padlock it.

That's the way I read it as well. MerlinsMum, I think you're going to have to leave room for your handbag inside your carry on, or get a smaller carry on. They're talking about looking at the combined size/weight allowance of both items if you use two.

Yes, I have a side compartment the essential papers can go in, also have two people with me that could put them in their bags. So it would be possible for me to put my 👜 etc in case with some day wear.

I was actually only going to take a smaller hold all, but seeing a programme on TV about cruising, and how some luggage never turns up til halfway thru the cruise, thought I should put a couple of light things in a case and take it with me.

Yes, I have a side compartment the essential papers can go in, also have two people with me that could put them in their bags. So it would be possible for me to put my 👜 etc in case with some day wear.

I was actually only going to take a smaller hold all, but seeing a programme on TV about cruising, and how some luggage never turns up til halfway thru the cruise, thought I should put a couple of light things in a case and take it with me.

It's wise to pack a couple days worth of essential clothing in a carry on. If you are traveling with others taking checked bags, consider cross packing; each bag heats a couple days worth of each person's "stuff." If a bag gets lost, no one person bears the brunt of the misfortune.

Talking to ex-pats in Spain, who are always flying back and forth on low cost planes, they travel in clothes with lots and lots of pockets, having been caught out by the handbag point...one even has a travel coat with extra deep pockets for all emergencies! :D ;)

It also says "plus a small duty free bag from the departure airport.", Could the OP buy a piece of cheap junk at the duty free ship, throw the junk away, and put the purse in the duty free bag?

DON

It also says "plus a small duty free bag from the departure airport.", Could the OP buy a piece of cheap junk at the duty free ship, throw the junk away, and put the purse in the duty free bag?

DON

Duty free bags are tamper-evident and not delivered to pax until they are through the gate, or on the plane. Nice try. ;)

Duty free bags are tamper-evident and not delivered to pax until they are through the gate, or on the plane. Nice try. ;)

This only happens for USA travellers going home. We've bought duty free a couple of times in Mexico and travellers from USA weren't too happy when we could just walk off straight away with our duty free in a normal carrier bag..

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk