caught with rum runners

If I do a cruise and stay and do the cruise on the second week I always have drink I want to bring home with me so I have no choice but to pack in bag but quite happy for them to hold for me then return before I depart works ok if it's cruise first then stay

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

No need to yell. I've been called to the luggage holding room many times. Sometimes it was for an item that was not permitted on the ship, and other times it was just a mistake on the part of security.

In every instance, security was very pleasant and professional. They asked me to open the suitcase, the item was inspected and either taken or placed back in the suitcase and the suitcase given to me. The whole encounter takes just a few minutes. Longest part is waiting in line for your turn.

Now we are a bit more careful. We try not to place any item in the suitcase that might cause luggage to be held. Our last culprit was a bottle of water.

I think the security folks do a great job and I am never angry if my bag is called to the bag holding area.

M

I thought they were not professional, also why did it take 6 hours from the time a gave them my bags till be called and bag was unlocked they could have checked to see it was not a banned item. my main complaint was I wanted a name on who held my bag and nobody would give me a name. There should be a RCCL officer there and there was not, also they should carry the bag to your suite if its there fault, would not have compainled if it was my fault.

Edited by George C

I was called to the naughty room early on in my cruising days because I packed my wine instead of carrying it on. They were just double-checking I was over 21. They didn't even ask to see ID, they just assumed I was over 21 by looking at me. Very insulting! :D

If you are caught with rum runners and your luggage is not locked, do they just remove them and send you your luggage or do you have to go to the "naughty room"?

You aint gonna git caught if u put them Rum Runners in your checked bags!

They never catch them ... I'm 100% each time!

They should have put you off the ship and be done with you.

Why ? .. All he had was a wine opener .. which is allowed.... THEY were wrong.

Edited by F27TW

Gvct, better ways???

Yep, but I can't really post my method here, of course. All I can say is that it's more of a "right-in-front-of-their-face" approach. Far more foolproof than Rum Runners ;)

Got semi-busted on Princess once with RR's. They left us a note saying that they suspected something and that they may contact us later. Never heard from them LOL.

Edited by gcvt

Yep, but I can't really post my method here, of course. All I can say is that it's more of a "right-in-front-of-their-face" approach. Far more foolproof than Rum Runners ;)

Got semi-busted on Princess once with RR's. They left us a note saying that they suspected something and that they may contact us later. Never heard from them LOL.

No such thing as SEMI-Busted! If u got that booze thru and got to enjoy it then you won !

(and too bad for any cruise line and their extortionate $14 cocktails).

Edited by F27TW

I thought they were not professional, also why did it take 6 hours from the time a gave them my bags till be called and bag was unlocked they could have checked to see it was not a banned item. my main complaint was I wanted a name on who held my bag and nobody would give me a name. There should be a RCCL officer there and there was not, also they should carry the bag to your suite if its there fault, would not have compainled if it was my fault.

Well heck, yelling sure should have fixed it then. :rolleyes:

My husband got caught boarding with rum runners from our first port and they watched us like hawks the rest of the cruise. it was very embarassing. lol

it was like being on the FBI watchlist at the airport:D

I put them under all of my toiletries and then put my various computer cords on top of that... no way they see them under all that mess. The toiletries have small bottles with caps, etc. Since they've introduced the drink packages, I haven't smuggled.

Edited by FSUNole

Why ? .. All he had was a wine opener .. which is allowed.... THEY were wrong.

I wasn't referring to what was in the luggage. It was the treatment of the security staff for doing their jobs that's the issue.

If you treat TSA in that manner in any airport guaranteed your flight will leave without you.

Edited by Retired LEO

First, there is nothing "embarrassing" about going to the "naughty room." As booze isn't the only reason luggage ends up there. We had to go there a couple of weeks ago because our bag didn't show up. Turns out the flimsy bag tag the handler put on it at the port, ripped off somehow, so they send no tagged bags there also. As well as other items that may be on the prohibited list and/or they have questions about. And there is a table with many items inventoried; so you aren't alone.

With that said, I know they hold liquor bottles for you until you leave. (although they didn't always do that, so that is nice of them to have changed that rule). I'm not sure about obvious rum runners filled with alcohol and I'm pretty sure they won't let you dump it out and there aren't those types of facilities next to security on deck 1.

I've haven't used rum runners in years since I have access to the lounges, but I never had a problem having them detected. But one time, I was so pissed, an empty rum runner bag was left out on the table in our cabin and was "thrown out" by the cabin attendant. They aren't cheap.

I wish our no tagged bag had been taken to a separate room. One of our bags had the tag ripped off last year, when it didn't show up at our room we went to guest services and were pointed to a pile of bags over by the excursion brochures and told to grab ours if we found it. Nothing missing thankfully but I was a little peeved they were just sitting around in the open for anybody to grab.

A friend was called to naughty room for an iron, only problem she had no iron!! Ex rayed in front of her and said that they were sorry and made a mistake.

I had to do the same thing on the Allure. When my luggage didn't arrive, our room steward finally informed me it was in the naughty room and I had to go retrieve it. Turned out to be my wife's hair dryer that when folded up looked like an iron to them thru the X-ray ?? I had to open my luggage in front of them to prove it wasn't an iron and once they were satisfied , I was on my way !

I wish our no tagged bag had been taken to a separate room. One of our bags had the tag ripped off last year, when it didn't show up at our room we went to guest services and were pointed to a pile of bags over by the excursion brochures and told to grab ours if we found it. Nothing missing thankfully but I was a little peeved they were just sitting around in the open for anybody to grab.

On my last cruise on the Navigator one of my bags didn't show up. I went to Guest Services and they had all the luggage with no tags lined up behind the counter and some in the back room. They weren't accessible to the public.

Hey,

Now that they have those drink packages, do they cover drinks ordered through room service too? I like to have a little drink once in a while in my room. If that's the case, I'm gonna miss sneaking in my Rum Runners. Being bad makes the cruise more fun! :D

Hey,

Now that they have those drink packages, do they cover drinks ordered through room service too? I like to have a little drink once in a while in my room. If that's the case, I'm gonna miss sneaking in my Rum Runners. Being bad makes the cruise more fun! :D

Beverage packages do not include room service or items from your stateroom mini-fridge.

Beverage packages do not include room service or items from your stateroom mini-fridge.

Security kept my bag with the wine opener but bag with my cognac was not stopped and went directly to room so I could have my nightcap, I do get the drink package

It's funny that i see this post today. We just got off of the Brilliance this morning. I purchased the Ultimate drink package as soon as boarding the ship as planned. My wife does not drink enough to justify buying the package but she insisted on bringing a 32 oz rum runner full of vodka for her. So she gets called down to deck 2 and they pull out the rum runner full of vodka and ask "what is this?" She responds that it is vodka and apologizes. He looks at it and walks about for about 30 seconds before coming back saying that he has never seen anything like that, hands it back to her, and says have a good day.

This funny thing is that she never even opened it and we brought it off of the ship full.

• 4 months later...
You can take a ballpoint pen and push it between the teeth of the zipper and it will open right up and then re-zipped to close it. It leaves no marks.

YUP! On my 8 25 16 cruise, the RR i had in 1 of my bags were caught, idk how but inside my zip tie locked bag I found a note saying they caught it etc. I was shocked 1 because 1 of my bags got thru and the other 1 got caught and also because my bag was locked when it got to my cabin, so they opened and re locked my zip tied bag(oh ya I used 2 zip ties of diff thickness). I googled and found out that its very easy to open a zip tie and then lock it back.