Need quick advice please - b2b luggage issue

tonto524

Friends are now aboard Zuiderdam 10 night which arrives in Port Everglades tomorrow. They then sail on her to Copenhagen. They had planned to take off their warm weather clothes and give those bags to their daughter who would meet them at the pier. They are being told onboard that they cannot take anything off the ship except a purse. This leaves them with 4 suitcases to fly around Europe with - or an option to "just" toss their belongings. Really ??!!! Can anyone shed some wise and quick light on this ?! Is this scenario correct ? I've been on b2bs on RCI and we could leave the ship between cruises and get back on when embarkation for the next cruise began. Any thoughts or suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Linda

Just off a Caribbean back to back cruise on the Neiuw Amsterdam. Got off for the day in Port Everglades half way through. Having disembarked with all the other passengers and their luggage, I really don't think the immigration office was concerned or aware of what we had with us when we got off the ship...A couple of big bags with all the kit and bits for a family. I think the second time we did it...Luggage and all we had immigration papers with us. Not sure if that helps.

Or they just try it. They would need a customs form which B2B passengers don't normally get for turn around day. If they are refused, they can just get back on the ship.

There will be customs forms down the front desk. Just tell them you lost yours.

Thank you !! I have relayed this to my friend. Not sure what the glitch is here - possibly since it was booked as one long voyage they don't want them to get off and back on? Seems to me that if you are willing to walk off your bag and go thru Customs and wait to embark with the new pax nobody should care. Don't people who do this routinely leave at turnaround day to check their condo or do laundry???

I would think if they are U.S. Citizens & plan to go through customs with their bag they would be permitted to do so.. But they must declare what they are bringing with them & they may be subject to examination.. If they are not U.S. Citizens then it may be a different story..

IMO they should request to speak to a Manager on board & be willing to clear customs & immigration.. Then they would be considered disembarking Psgrs & only be permitted to re-board when new Psgrs board..

Edited by serendipity1499

We've done many B2B sailings and getting off has never been an issue. As long as the proper customs forms and declarations are performed, it should be fine. It's quite common on turnaround days for continuing passengers to leave the ship. Usually one can get an 'in-transit' pass that helps in the reboarding process.

I would suggest a second opinion from someone else on board. On our last cruise wife checked at the desk about luggage direct. Was given incorrect info by young man. After I reread info about this I went back and talked to another person. Come to find out first person did not have any clue about the way luggage direct works, just no you can't do that.

I think there is a way to do this, but probably if this is booked as two separate cruises with two different cruise cards, not a Collector's Cruise. The reason they don't want you taking anything off is they don't want people trying to take off expensive items they bought in order to avoid paying duty. If they have booed as two cruises, and will be getting a new card, they could put those cases out the last night and leave the ship the next morning getting off with others debarking. But they would have to get luggage tags from someone who had extras...And get customs forms. Then get off and go through customs, meet the family and offload the cases. They would take their In Transit card along, and when allowed to reboard, use the new room card.

But I see this has also been sold as a 27 day cruise, so they could try to carry off their bags (with tags) and see if they are dinged when they swipe their cards. Chances are those at the exit won't know/notice. Customs certainly doesn't know they would be getting back on board... Just make sure it is only clothing no souvenirs in the cases. EM

Whether their taking off dutiable items or not, they will have to go thru customs. Get the forms, fill them out properly and get off. Setting out the luggage (provided you can get tags) is best, no need to try to carry them down the gangway.

We've done a number of B2Bs through Port Everglades. Every time other than one, we've gotten off the ship. We usually go home, swap out clothes - and my lovely wife gets her nails done. (We live within a few minutes of the port.) We simply fill out the customs form, and take our bags with us.

We do have to wait for regular boarding to begin before we can get back on, but we're not usually ready to reboard until 2 o'clock or later.

There's definitely no legal restriction. Just fill out your forms and take your ID and paperwork with you.

Early update. Their last email last night said that they'd been told "in no u certain terms that they or the ship would be fined if they left with luggage". I am stumped. Will call her this morning while they have normal cell service and see what's going on.

Early update. Their last email last night said that they'd been told "in no u certain terms that they or the ship would be fined if they left with luggage". I am stumped. Will call her this morning while they have normal cell service and see what's going on.

It's probably because it's early and I haven't gotten through my first cup of coffee but not sure I understand. Are you saying they or the ship would or would not be fined if they tried to take luggage off the ship?

And I typed this before MY first cup of coffee so apologize if it wasn't clear lol. They were told that they or the ship would be fined if they tried to disembark with luggage this morning and then embark for the TA. Makes no sense to me even after coffee.

Edited by tonto524

And I typed this before MY first cup of coffee so apologize if it wasn't clear lol. They were told that they or the ship would be fined if they tried to disembark with luggage this morning and then embark for the TA. Makes no sense to me even after coffee.

I'm now deeper into my first cup and I agree that fining your friends or the ship makes no sense to me. For one they'd have to go through Immigration and Customs like any other disembarking passenger so it's not like they or their luggage wouldn't be subject to screening. In fact I'm not sure how Immigration and Customs would know or care if they were simply swapping luggage. I certainly have never had an agent ask me if I was getting back on the ship even when I was at the switch over point of a back-to-back.

I'm now deeper into my first cup and I agree that fining your friends or the ship makes no sense to me. For one they'd have to go through Immigration and Customs like any other disembarking passenger so it's not like they or their luggage wouldn't be subject to screening. In fact I'm not sure how Immigration and Customs would know or care if they were simply swapping luggage. I certainly have never had an agent ask me if I was getting back on the ship even when I was at the switch over point of a back-to-back.

In order to get off the ship with luggage you would need a customs form containing your name and at least address. Most likely the ship has to submit a list of disembarking passengers, and passengers on a b2b would not be included - therefore a difference that might have to be accounted for, maybe incurring a fine to the ship for filing incorrect documents.

Edited by richwmn

Whoever your friends are talking to may be confused about the situation since - to all appearances - they would be disembarking mid-cruise. They may be thinking that it somehow violates the Passenger Vessel Services Act. But if the cruise originated in FLL it's a closed loop and not in violation. That would draw a fine.

In order to get off the ship with luggage you would need a customs form containing your name and at least address. Most likely the ship has to submit a list of disembarking passengers, and passengers on a b2b would not be included - therefore a difference that might have to be accounted for, maybe incurring a fine to the ship for filing incorrect documents.

That crossed my mind and may indeed be the problem. Obviously a cross check, even hours or days later, would show passengers leaving the ship who were supposedly staying on. I do wonder if HAL, and other cruise lines, are still required to clear the ship of even back-to-back passengers and then have them reboard? Seems to me there would be a way though to work with CBP to make the luggage exchange happen.

Edited by Randyk47

Having spent decades working for the government, I learned that the rules don't always make sense. They don't even often make sense, but they are still the rules. There is probably some itty-bitty, nonsensical reason for this, but a reason nonetheless.

Perhaps it's because the same passengers will be returning in a short while, and will have to go through Immigration/Customs again at that time? I know there has to be a certain time lag between making a claim for bringing in goods purchased ashore without paying duty. Could that be part of the reason?

Who knows.