Let's talk about Curtis Stone's 'Share'.....

There's a lot of negative talk on the Princess forum about the new 'Share' (currently on the Ruby Princess and now on the Sun Princess).

Some of us may have already tried some of his dishes and I know we will book a 'Share' dinner next month.

Yes, there is a cover charge, but is this the reason people won't try it? I think too much criticism (as evident on Princess forum) at launch time does more harm than good.

What's your opinion?

Edited by Kinkacruiser

I tried it in the MDR on Diamond in Oct.

Among the first

We has Chicken Leek Pot Pie, Veal Osso Bucco and one other dish, I don't remember.

In my opinion no better no worse than anything else from the kitchen.

I think the biggest problem is too much hype at launch.

Next cruise is only a week so not sure if we will have time to try it.

We have recently been on the Sea Princess. They do not have the SHARE restaurant, but there was one of three 'Curtis Stone' items on the MDR menu every night except formal night. They were pork belly, fish stew or chicken and leek pie. I tried the fish stew and have to say it is the only dish that I have been served in 50+ cruises that I agreed the waiter's offer to take back and give me something else. The chicken and leek pie was good. We ordered a side dish of veges. Otherwise it is a dish with tasty chicken/leek and pastry topping.

Strangely, out of every seven days on the cruise, the fish stew was on the menu for probably five, with the pork belly and chicken/leek pie on the menu once each.

The eight people at our dining table felt the 'old' menus were better and gave us more options. I regret that the beef tornedos are no longer on the 'always available' section.

I wonder if some of the Curtis Stone dishes are a bit too trendy for the age group that makes up most of the passenger complement on Princess (me included). Maybe Princess is trying to give a 'younger' feel to their menus.

I tried the Osso Bucco in the MDR on the Golden Princess in February. The first plate came out with a huge bone and a bit of fat attached on a bed of mashed potato. I sent it back.... next plate came out with another huge bone with a mouthful of meat attached on a bed of mashed potato.... there were no other vegetables on the plate to accompany this c**p. I sent it back and asked for the old Beef Medallions which eventually I got. Much better, bloody beautiful in fact.

I don't know what Princess was thinking taking away the Always Available favourites like Salmon and Beef Medallions. My husband tried the pork belly and he sent it back after finding it was nothing but fat and no meat. Another friend on the table tried the Chicken Pot Pie and said it was Ok... but didn't rave about it.

This, by the way, is the first time we have sent meals back in the dining room in over 350+ days of cruising Princess. Not really impressed at all. :(

I look forward to your opinion Anna.

You've raised some good points, Aus Traveller re. 'trendy' dishes, which Princess is possibly gambling with to attract a younger market.

Opua Kiwi - I agree it's a shame that we lose the regular Pizzeria/Italian eatery on the sun class ships. They were the best!

Eileen - I'll let you know what I think. Princess has invested quite a lot in this project, so one would hope it's not another lead balloon...like the sushi bar.

You've raised some good points, Aus Traveller re. 'trendy' dishes, which Princess is possibly gambling with to attract a younger market.

Opua Kiwi - I agree it's a shame that we lose the regular Pizzeria/Italian eatery on the sun class ships. They were the best!

Eileen - I'll let you know what I think. Princess has invested quite a lot in this project, so one would hope it's not another lead balloon...like the sushi bar.

I am sorry to say I do not think Curtis Stone's dishes will go over well. They were a running joke in our section of the dining room.:)

I haven't had a chance to try Share but from one actual review I spotted in the sea of criticism on the Princess boards, the food sounds interesting and quite delicious.

Unfortunately the Curtis Stone pork belly dish I had in the MDR - my first ever cruise dinner - was pretty foul so I haven't been back for more punishment.

The pizzeria on my recent Sun Princess cruise was completely empty every time I went through. The one time my son and I tried it we were alone. It was lovely food but an awkward space. I can see why they'd want to try something different.

I haven't had a chance to try Share but from one actual review I spotted in the sea of criticism on the Princess boards, the food sounds interesting and quite delicious.

Unfortunately the Curtis Stone pork belly dish I had in the MDR - my first ever cruise dinner - was pretty foul so I haven't been back for more punishment.

The pizzeria on my recent Sun Princess cruise was completely empty every time I went through. The one time my son and I tried it we were alone. It was lovely food but an awkward space. I can see why they'd want to try something different.

Did the same on Dawn,wouldnt say foul, but wasn't crash-hot, tender meat with a floppy wet skin, might as well have been boiled, so I suppose yeah foul,wouldnt want to put my name to it.Pizzeria,yep empty,2 people plus us and the best pizza ever. Hope they don't get rid of that. Yes an odd space where people walk through to get to lifts or toilets.

I have tried Curtis Stone at sea and at a function on land, when he was supervising the kitchen.

Now it's not my style of tucker but on land it was better, I think that one problem is that he hand picks his staff for his restaurant but doesn't get that level of control on the ships.

I have tried Curtis Stone at sea and at a function on land, when he was supervising the kitchen.

Now it's not my style of tucker but on land it was better, I think that one problem is that he hand picks his staff for his restaurant but doesn't get that level of control on the ships.

Exactly.When the cats away,the mice dont give a. Dosent seem to be an intelligent menu item,crispy pork belly.For the MDR at least.

On GOLDEN PRINCESS Chicken & Leek pie excellent but nothing else on plate, Osso Bucco on turnip mash excellent, pork belly was dissapointing, not crisp and crunch as it should be and far too much fat and bugger all meat . Princess trying to cost cut on the quality of the pork belly cut ? I wouldnt serve the last pork belly I was presented with to my dog .

On GOLDEN PRINCESS Chicken & Leek pie excellent but nothing else on plate, Osso Bucco on turnip mash excellent, pork belly was dissapointing, not crisp and crunch as it should be and far too much fat and bugger all meat . Princess trying to cost cut on the quality of the pork belly cut ? I wouldnt serve the last pork belly I was presented with to my dog .

On the Sea Princess -

Check & Leek pie was good, but nothing else on the plate

Osso Bucco - I do not believe it appeared on the menu

Pork belly - my table companions felt the same as you "disappointing, not crisp and crunch as it should be and far too much fat and bugger all meat".

Fish stew (I mentioned earlier) was a very small serving and not good.

Edited by Aus Traveller

Don't forget, Curtis and Princess are doing it for the money. I have tried the cover charge dining on several ships, Princess/P&O UK/Celebrity, some great some ok. I think the Crown Grill on the American Princess ships was the best, mega steaks.

Here is some Titanic trivia: 'On Titanic' they had a cover charge restaurant, 'The Parisian restaurant' for 1st Class pax only. It was mentioned in the TV doco 'Band of Courage' about Titanic's band, shown on SBS yesterday.

Ugh - all of this does not sound good......

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

So save thy cash and eat in the MDR/Buffet, you have paid for that in your cruise fare.

Exactly. When the cats away, the mice dont give a.

Doesn't seem to be an intelligent menu item, crispy pork belly.

For the MDR at least.

Hmmm yes, from the sounds of all of these views and reviews elsewhere

it seems it should be re-named Clavicus Vile's "Avoid" restaurant... :(

Yet another reason to give a miss to revisiting Sun Class ships like the plague. :eek:

Cheers r

:cool:

I tried the Osso Bucco in the MDR on the Golden Princess in February. The first plate came out with a huge bone and a bit of fat attached on a bed of mashed potato. I sent it back.... next plate came out with another huge bone with a mouthful of meat attached on a bed of mashed potato.... there were no other vegetables on the plate to accompany this c**p. I sent it back and asked for the old Beef Medallions which eventually I got. Much better' date=' bloody beautiful in fact.

I don't know what Princess was thinking taking away the Always Available favourites like Salmon and Beef Medallions. My husband tried the pork belly and he sent it back after finding it was nothing but fat and no meat. Another friend on the table tried the Chicken Pot Pie and said it was Ok... but didn't rave about it.

This, by the way, is the first time we have sent meals back in the dining room in over 350+ days of cruising Princess. Not really impressed at all. :(

I look forward to your opinion Anna.[/quote']

Must agree sent my Belly Pork back all fat NO MEAT. First time I have sent a meal back to the kitchen. :eek: