How Has RCCL Changed In The Past Decade?

I never did the last minute cruises since I have to work for a living, but I do miss being able to combine the deals. It wasn't a lot of $$$, but it felt kind of special having a good deal. These days there isn't really much benefit to owning stock (it isn't doing much value-wise and the benefit it almost always superseded by some other deal).

These days we always try to book our next cruise while on board (if we're doing RCI) so we can get the balcony discount and OBC. That works out pretty well.

Alas...

Tom

Price drops up to 72 hours before the cruise.

Ability to combine C&A quarterly coupon discount, balcony discount, OBC from booking on board, and OBC from shareholder benefit.

And now you can be an expert. I think i use the cake fork for my app :o

Formal+Dinner+Setting.jpg

This is a great diagram! Another helpful hint someone told me is BMW... the order of which bread plate and glass are yours...left to right Bread, Main, Water...

This is a great diagram! Another helpful hint someone told me is BMW... the order of which bread plate and glass are yours...left to right Bread, Main, Water...

I will try and remember that. All I really know is fork and port and left all have 4 letters

It used to be that you tipped your crew, in cash, on the last night of the cruise. There were no automatic gratuities added to your tab. You got guidelines in the Compass along with envelopes in your cabin.

Going back a bit further, there was a huge midnight buffet every night with amazing dessert and fruit creations. It was incredible but a huge waste of food. You could shoot skeet with real shotguns, off the back of the ship. Likewise, you could drive golf balls (made of fish food) off the back of the ship.

I also miss the mints on the pillows as well as the nightly towel animals. Yes - they are minor things - but sometimes it's the little things - the attention to details - that makes it special.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We miss the mints as we have a sweet tooth and used to enjoy them with a coffee before turning in, but, we just buy some kisses before getting on the ship and having those now, we always tell the attendant not to bother with the animals, once you've seen one hanging monkey.......

For me, personally, I miss how cruising represented a true opportunity to "disengage" from reality and particularly, the internet.

10 years ago, Wifi on cruise ships or even ports of call was technologically impossible. So the phones and laptops went into the safe or the closet for the entire duration of the cruise.

I usually do a 4 course.

I am no expert on the utensil situation, but I seem to recall there being enough utensils for a 5 course meal. No utensil changes, however. I could be wrong.

Yes, they were all there, maybe a better description would have been utensil rotation?

You eat a course, they whisk broom the table, rotate the silverware around in prep for the next course, serve it, repeat.

Yes, they were all there, maybe a better description would have been utensil rotation?

You eat a course, they whisk broom the table, rotate the silverware around in prep for the next course, serve it, repeat.

They only seem to crumb sweep prior to dessert.

I'm not knocking this post. It's just funny. I remember when I first joined CC in the early 00's and seeing the same kinds of posts. Of course, back then, people were reminiscing about cruising in the 70s and 80s and chatting about how things had gone downhill from there. Now we reminisce about cruising in the early 00s. ;)

like-button.jpg

I have been cruising for about 10 years. While there have been changes for the worse, there are at least a few things that have improved in that time:

For example, only five years ago, I paid $55 for 100 minutes of internet. On my recent Freedom cruise, I paid $89 (including C&A discount) for unlimited internet during the entire 7 day cruise. Also, the new VOOM internet, which is slowly making its way to more and more ships, is light years ahead in terms of speed and quality.

Another thing is the ability to carry on board two bottles of wine and have it served in the dining room with no corkage fee. This is a nice policy change, one that improves the overall experience at no cost (or less cost) to the passenger.

My first cruise was in 2004.

I loved the pomp of the whole event. It allowed me to feel like I was rich and famous for a week. I saw things I never thought I would see. Who knew that burning booze with some bananas table side would taste so good, and it was a heck of a show too.

The best way I describe cruising from then to now is, Saxon 5th Avenue (then) to Macy's (now).

I guess things have changed, I stay in Suites now and I never feel rich or famous. To the contrary aside from the conceirge some staff will treat you like steerage.

My first Royal Cruise I was on a balcony in 2004 and the staff treated me like I was in first class.

I have been cruising for about 10 years. While there have been changes for the worse, there are at least a few things that have improved in that time:

Another thing is the ability to carry on board two bottles of wine and have it served in the dining room with no corkage fee. This is a nice policy change, one that improves the overall experience at no cost (or less cost) to the passenger.

I remember when you could buy bottles of liquor in the onboard store and for a $10/bottle fee drink it onboard. Now that was fun.

I will try and remember that. All I really know is fork and port and left all have 4 letters

another way is grab your touch your thumb and index finger in the shape of a d/b and with the b on the left means bread and the d on the right hand means drink.

Appetizer, Meal, Desert

Used to be Soup, Salad, Appetizer, Meal, Desert

You can make a 5 course meal now by ordering that way, but I remember our first cruise they were distinct courses with utensil changes.

(Not speaking to you directly Sheehan just using your quote, this is a general statement. Not trying to attack you at all!!!)

LOL, is this really worth calling a complaint? You can order all of that stuff! I find when I keep my expectations low, it is very very hard to be disappointed.

What makes the price of my cruises worth it is feeling the humid ocean air just before sunrise, watching the sunrise, spending time with my beautiful Fiancée in paradise, drinking fruity drinks by the pool (especially Grey Goose Screwdrivers with a splash of the strawberry mix :):)), and appreciating the creation around, including these gorgeous ships. And there is NOTHING like a sunset over the open ocean or a small caribbean island.

So I don't get my silverware changed between my 5 course meal, and the soup and salad and appetizer aren't three separate courses....but the food is just about the last reason I go on cruises.

My advice, cherish the time with your beautiful wife/husband/SO, with your amazing kids, with you parents, your grandparents, your grandkids....whatever it may be, and look at it from my perspective. Whether RC, carnival, princess, msc, NCL, whatever....

Thats my take on the food in the MDR.

The issue is people want these new, massive, giant, crazy ships and the reality is you can't provide the same level of service to 6500 people on the Oasis as you can to 2000 on the Sovereign (obviously not even in existence!!!). Its a trade off, but I cruise for the cruise and for the memories, not for the food!

My .02! It also helps that I have gotten lucky with my waiters, etc. on my past cruises. My experience has always been amazing. Carlos and Franka were our waiter and assistant on the Liberty this spring and I will never forget them, we had some incredible memories made with them. And we just showed them we cared not with a tip (we did tip both of them at the end), but with smiles and laughter. We all hugged on the final day, we went out of our way to meet them for breakfast before we left the ship. What a great experience....just wanted to provide an example.

I will say...no mints on the pillows and no pens in the rooms kinda sucks, but really....its not the end of the world!

Edited by atnolan94

For me, personally, I miss how cruising represented a true opportunity to "disengage" from reality and particularly, the internet.

10 years ago, Wifi on cruise ships or even ports of call was technologically impossible. So the phones and laptops went into the safe or the closet for the entire duration of the cruise.

I'm with you on that 100%!

Sad to see people buried in their phones out by the pool. Or even worse, at dinner with their family....you're missing precious moments folks!!

I would say that very little has changed in the past decade.

Maybe some of the little things like pillow chocolates at turn down, but I think even that change is close to being a decade ago. I definitely think the "horse racing" has been gone for longer than that. I think the condensing of the MDR menu to three courses is more than a decade old, too. Soup, salad, and appetizer courses have been grouped into "starters" for a long time, now.

Unlimited drink packages are new within the past decade, as is making the gratuities a standard daily charge to your account. Not everyone agrees, but I think those are good changes. I believe My Time Dining as an option is less than a decade old, as well.

I'm not sure there is really any "more of a class system" with suite passengers. There have always been suites on the ships, and suite passengers always had perks. Some of those perks may have changed here and there, but I just don't think there is any major shift in it being a "class system." Maybe a little bit with exclusive venues like Coastal Kitchen on some newer ships, but I haven't been on those newer ships yet.

Edited by Paul65

LOL, is this really worth calling a complaint? You can order all of that stuff! I find when I keep my expectations low, it is very very hard to be disappointed.

The thread asked about what has changed. Just saying something has changed doesn't make it a complaint. :cool:

(Not speaking to you directly Sheehan just using your quote, this is a general statement. Not trying to attack you at all!!!)

What makes the price of my cruises worth it is feeling the humid ocean air just before sunrise, watching the sunrise, spending time with my beautiful Fiancée in paradise, drinking fruity drinks by the pool (especially Grey Goose Screwdrivers with a splash of the strawberry mix :):)), and appreciating the creation around, including these gorgeous ships. And there is NOTHING like a sunset over the open ocean or a small caribbean island.

So I don't get my silverware changed between my 5 course meal, and the soup and salad and appetizer aren't three separate courses....but the food is just about the last reason I go on cruises.

My advice, cherish the time with your beautiful wife/husband/SO, with your amazing kids, with you parents, your grandparents, your grandkids....whatever it may be, and look at it from my perspective. Whether RC, carnival, princess, msc, NCL, whatever....

Thats my take on the food in the MDR.

The issue is people want these new, massive, giant, crazy ships and the reality is you can't provide the same level of service to 6500 people on the Oasis as you can to 2000 on the Sovereign (obviously not even in existence!!!). Its a trade off, but I cruise for the cruise and for the memories, not for the food!

My .02! It also helps that I have gotten lucky with my waiters, etc. on my past cruises. My experience has always been amazing. Carlos and Franka were our waiter and assistant on the Liberty this spring and I will never forget them, we had some incredible memories made with them. And we just showed them we cared not with a tip (we did tip both of them at the end), but with smiles and laughter. We all hugged on the final day, we went out of our way to meet them for breakfast before we left the ship. What a great experience....just wanted to provide an example.

I will say...no mints on the pillows and no pens in the rooms kinda sucks, but really....its not the end of the world!

HOW DARE YOU ATTACK ME!!! (kidding)

Mine wasn't a list of complaints, just a list of what is different between then and now. Ok, other than the mints, that was a complaint :)

I do agree with your post completely, any vacation is what "you" make of it, and it seems the DW and I bring the same attitude on board as you do along with the vast majority of others.

I also fixed your post for you, wish I knew how to make it flash in bright neon colors, but you have definitely hit the nail on the head with the comment I highlighted in red.

I think what has been the problem for formal nights is the airlines charging for checked bags. Unless cruise passengers have elite status with an airline, or they have cashed in frequent flyer miles for first class tickets, they now travel with the standard rollerboard that fits in the overhead bin.

People simply don't want to bring large suitcases, unless they are on a cruise 10-nights or longer, or they are sailing to places like Alaska, Canada/New England in the fall, or Norway and Iceland, where shore excursions mean multiple layers.

Of course, many workplaces are now business casual. So, men don't own as many suits as they used to.

And, a lot of places that expected people to dress up don't any more, whether it's church, restaurants with white tablecloths, or professional theater and orchestras.

I think the cruise lines are learning that people have a lot of reasons for not wanting to dress for the dress code on formal nights.

I usually do a 4 course.

I am no expert on the utensil situation, but I seem to recall there being enough utensils for a 5 course meal. No utensil changes, however. I could be wrong.

They used to serve sorbet between courses as a palette cleanser. Scraping of tables to clear crumbs. Before that side dishes were served white glove off of large platters. Midnight buffets were a highly anticipated event; ice carvings by the pool and a display only for 30-60 minutes at night before food was served.

Specialty Dining has turned the MDR into a wedding banquet.

10 years ago C&A gifts/logo merchandise were of high quality and made to last. I still use the travel toiletry bag I got on Voyager in 2003. I know many people still have RCCL tote bags. I have some beautiful heavy cardboard stock postcards given as C&A souvenirs.

Now they give crap and prepackaged cookies. Would rather they didn't honestly. Most of the junk now is cheapo stuff that doesn't last any longer than it takes to disembark.