New Cruiser, want to cruise with family (kids 10,13) Advice please

nluv

Hi there and thank you for reading my post. I would like to know what cruise ships you think are best for these age children. Daugher 10 really into dance and crafts son 13 really into technology, gaming and swimming. We are over the singing dancing stuffed things.

I just want a relaxing vacation where I am pampered and don't have to cook/clean. We are looking at 5-7 nights and would prefer ports that aren't in Mexico leaving from US. Budget is important and husband wants at least a large window if not balcony.

1. Which cruises have you been on with this age children and your thoughts?

2. Is RC worth the extra $ over Carnival

3. 5 or 7 nights? is 5 too short

4. How much are drinks? Internet?

5. Will there be places we can all dance together, listen to piano or music as this is something the whole family enjoys.

6. Room advice 2 rooms? Son is 5"9 180

Any advice or information about your experiences would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

I would seriously look at Royal Caribbean's Oasis class ships out of Florida. Depending on your time frame, you may be able to choose the newest ship, Harmony of the Seas out of Ft. Lauderdale. This one will have a variety of slides, in addition to the Flowrider surf simulator and zipline that are on the other two Oasis class ships. You can choose an Eastern Caribbean itinerary for 7 days, which does not go to Mexico.

Please check out the Royal Caribbean forum for more info:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83

The mainstream cruise lines (CCL, RCCL, NCL, Princess, etc.) are all more alike than different. Many people have their favorite lines and will swear that they're the best! :p

My responses below. Simply my opinions. YMMV. :)

Hi there and thank you for reading my post. I would like to know what cruise ships you think are best for these age children. Daugher 10 really into dance and crafts son 13 really into technology, gaming and swimming. We are over the singing dancing stuffed things.

I just want a relaxing vacation where I am pampered and don't have to cook/clean. We are looking at 5-7 nights and would prefer ports that aren't in Mexico leaving from US. Budget is important and husband wants at least a large window if not balcony.

No matter which line, you'll feel pampered. After our first cruise, I was hooked! It was the first vacation where I (mom) felt like I actually got a vacation, too! Not once have I heard my kids tell me they're bored on a cruise!

You should find many cruises that don't visit Mexico. Take a look at Eastern Caribbean itineraries. Budget's the easy part--just compare the prices. Often times Carnival has the lowest price, but not always.

1. Which cruises have you been on with this age children and your thoughts?

I've cruised Carnival and Princess with kids and NCL without. My daughter has been cruising since she was 21 months old (now 21 years) and she loved Camp Carnival until she was about 13. She thought the Princess kids club was just okay. But, her older sister was on that cruise, so I'm thinking she really wanted to just spend time with her (there's a 10-year age difference)

2. Is RC worth the extra $ over Carnival

I've never cruised RCI, so can't say.

3. 5 or 7 nights? is 5 too short

IMO, 5 is too short. But, for me so is 7! :D

4. How much are drinks? Internet?

People often say drinks are ridiculously expensive on cruises, but I find them be about what you'd pay on land. My last couple cruises have been on NCL and wifi has been $125 for 250 minutes.

5. Will there be places we can all dance together, listen to piano or music as this is something the whole family enjoys.

Yes, there will be places you can enjoy family time.

6. Room advice 2 rooms? Son is 5"9 180

We've always gotten two rooms when we've taken both the girls. You can get connecting cabins. You'll likely have to book an adult in each room and then change once you're on board. Most lines do it that way, I believe. Cabins on cruise ships are small, so it's much easier if you can afford it to get two.

Thank you in advance,

1. Which cruises have you been on with this age children and your thoughts?When our kids were that age we sailed on NCL (Jewel & Epic) and CCL(Destiny, Freedom & Glory)

2. Is RC worth the extra $ over CarnivalTo me it wasn't. When we sailed on the Epic the goal was a newer, bigger ship so we looked at Oasis and Epic. Epic was $1000 less

3. 5 or 7 nights? is 5 too shortNot if that is what fits in your schedule. We have sailed 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8 night cruises with the majority being 5 nights because that is what fit our vacation schedule

4. How much are drinks? Internet? Depends on the line. Drinks range from $6-$12 and from what I am currently seeing Carnival has the best internet packages

5. Will there be places we can all dance together, listen to piano or music as this is something the whole family enjoys.Yes, there will be deck parties and other places where you can dance together. We enjoy watching people try their hand or voice at karaoke.

6. Room advice 2 rooms? Son is 5"9 180 At that age yes. That is the age we started doing 2 rooms and we won't go back. We like getting a balcony with an inside across the hall. Connecting rooms are nice too. You can get those in OV

Thank you in advance,

We have been sailing since our kids were 4 and 7. Our first 2 cruises were Disney. Worth the price for the Disney experience at that age. After that it was Carnival and NCL with the kids. I couldn't justify RCCL prices for the times we were looking to cruise. Cruising became a favorite family vacation for us. I would suggest looking to the newer ships if you want more activities geared more toward teens. My kids are now 19 and 21 and we will be cruising with them next month after DS graduates from college. DD was a competitive dancer growing up and DS (6'7 1/2" now) was into computers and sports. Neither of them liked the kids clubs and preferred hanging out with us. On our next cruise DD has met some people her own age on a FB roll call some of whom are also dancers and is looking forward to meeting up with them. They have been messaging each other for about a month now. Let me know if you have any other questions I can try to answer for you. Have fun in doing your research and enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Warm Breezes

I would agree with the previous poster who felt a 5 or 7 day cruise is too short. I tend to get cruises that are 10-15 days long. But you do what you can comfortably afford. Here's another vote for an Eastern Caribbean cruise. I've been on Eastern, Southern, and Western Caribbean cruises. Each has it's own charm; however since Mexican ports are out, that eliminates a Western cruise.

Good luck with whatever you choose. Be sure and come back here with further questions and definately come back after your cruise to let us know what your choice was and your experiences.

I would suggest RC Freedom of the Seas. There is plenty for everyone.

Eastern, 7 days.

The Oasis and Allure are something to be seen but are pricey.

I have been watching the pricing on Carnivals newer ships and they are not cheap at all.

You don't say when you want to cruise, but summer, holidays and school breaks are when the prices go up.

By the way, Welcome To Cruise Critic. :)

Edited by janetz

We need to go out of Florida between July 25-Aug 3 (sorry had to book airline tickets yesterday) so Looks like a 3-5 night for us... Since we have a place to stay should I just wait until a couple weeks out? Will prices dump then?

Nichole

Looks like these are the options for ships. I sort of understand RC ship classes but cant figure out Carnivals

RC

Enchantment

Majesty

Norweigan Sky (free drinks :) )

Carnival

Fantasy

Victory

Sensation

So I guess what I am asking is which of these is best for my tween kids aka has the most for them to do? We love entertainment

Thanks,

Nichole

Looks like these are the options for ships. I sort of understand RC ship classes but cant figure out Carnivals

RC

Enchantment

Majesty

Norweigan Sky (free drinks :) )

Carnival

Fantasy

Victory

Sensation

So I guess what I am asking is which of these is best for my tween kids aka has the most for them to do? We love entertainment

Thanks,

Nichole

Sorry, I can't help you with these ships. I can tell you these are all older ones on these lines. Maybe you can do a spreadsheet on these listing out pros/cons on what each ship has to offer that you are looking for out of your vacation. That is what I do when starting my vacation planning. You may not want to wait too long to book though as summer months tend to sail full since it is summer break. You may see prices go up and not down.

Personally I would have preferred RC larger ships, such as Oasis or Independence, with lots to do for the entire family. Realize you are locked in to a short cruise.

The older ships tend to do shorter cruises and are often referred to as "booze" or party cruises - would not recommend them for a family trip, so research carefully.

Personally I would have preferred RC larger ships, such as Oasis or Independence, with lots to do for the entire family. Realize you are locked in to a short cruise.

The older ships tend to do shorter cruises and are often referred to as "booze" or party cruises - would not recommend them for a family trip, so research carefully.

Don't let it scare you. We have done a lot of 5 day and less cruises on Disney, NCL, Princess, and Carnival and I wouldn't call any of the 5 day cruises a booze cruise. Our 4 day Destiny cruise was possibly the closest to that description but the partying I saw was mostly at the bar in Cozumel before getting back on the ship...not on the ship itself. But as family sailing we weren't hanging around the places that the boozers would be anyway so we didn't see them.

I only know the carnival ships so my breakdown of those is.

Don't even bother with sensation (unless there are better ports). It is a fantasy class ship but might as well go for Fantasy because she was just dry docked and has Guys Burger and Blue Iguana Cantina.

Between Fantasy and Victory - Fantasy has the water works. Victory does not, but does gave a watee slide by main pool. However victory does have the sea-side theater and Fantasy does not.

Victory is bigger and 10 years newer.

I am sure your kids and you will enjoy any ship. All will have plenty to do especially with it being a shorter cruise.

Edited by AlmostToTheFun

Drink prices are NOT like those in land bars, unless you're in a Ruth Chris restaurant, or some other "high end" venues (or, major cities!). I think $5 for a beer is ridiculous! It's one thing when you'll be spending 3 hours in a restaurant...it's an entirely different kettle of fish if you are spending a week paying prices like that!

If you drink a lot on vacation, get the package. If you only drink 2 drinks a day, you'll be better off buying the pricey drinks.

INCLUDED drinks are: ice water, coffee, tea (iced or hot) lemonade or flavored water, milk and juice at breakfast.

Drink prices are NOT like those in land bars, unless you're in a Ruth Chris restaurant, or some other "high end" venues (or, major cities!). I think $5 for a beer is ridiculous! It's one thing when you'll be spending 3 hours in a restaurant...it's an entirely different kettle of fish if you are spending a week paying prices like that!

If you drink a lot on vacation, get the package. If you only drink 2 drinks a day, you'll be better off buying the pricey drinks.

INCLUDED drinks are: ice water, coffee, tea (iced or hot) lemonade or flavored water, milk and juice at breakfast.

We cruise HAL and find their drink prices less expensive than at home. Their wine list is another story :(

If you think $5 for a beer is ridiculous, you would freak at the price for beer here in a restaurant, lounge, bar.

i actually think drinks on cruises are cheap :)

los angeles - hey!