Lido Menu

dljones

We haven't been on a 2.0 cruise yet but will be on the Breeze in Sept. Since we live in Houston, we cruise out of Galveston regularly and I noticed that the Lido Menu for the week was pretty much always the same choices from cruise to cruise.

I'm just wondering if along with the new American Table Menus the menu for Lido has also changed? I'm sure there will be the staples of course but what about say the main entrée for example? Is there anything that stands out in anyone's mind?

Biscuits and gravy were inedible.

I tend to stick to made-to-order omelettes or breakfast burrito. But on my last cruise (Sunshine), I spotted the biscuits and gravy and just had to give them a try.

Biscuits were like hockey pucks and the gravy was just white, floury paste. Truly inedible.

I just don't "do" the main buffet. I tried an experiment once with dinner. I wanted to see whether the items on the buffet compared to those served in the MDR. Since I had late dining, I went a couple of nights to the buffet when it first opened and got just a bite or two of a few dishes. Although many were labeled as the same as was being offered that night in the MDR, they were much inferior.

Makes me think the people who complain the most about the food are eating at the buffet and not the MDR. There's a world of difference, imho.

Haven't yet been on a ship with the American Table. But since I don't pay much attention to the main buffet line, I probably won't even notice what the offerings are there. Not much help from me, I'm afraid. :o

I don't know about the buffet, but there will at least be the Blue Iguana for breakfast burritos, Juevos Rancheros, and Arepas in the morning. Then for lunch there is Guys Burgers, and the Blue Iguana has tacos and burritos. So that gives you a little bit more variety on the lido even if it isn't the buffet. I think Guys is open until 6 PM, but after that it's just the regular buffet for dinner.

A lot of Lido food is mush. Seem to do a fair job on fish. Some soups are good if you can get one hot. Lots of sweet choices w/very little flavor. If you find key lime pie it's very good. I have had a lot of problems with food temps. Nothing like tepid grits, cold spaghetti and the spaghetti had just put set out. I got first scoop and it wasn't hot. For some reason the butter is not near the bread. They do a good job at omelet stations.

Just take a small bite and go back for what you like.

Thanks for warding me off!!

Their eggs benedict is TERRIBLE too and John Heald actually posted on his FB page if people enjoyed it. Bad idea John! The English muffin is like a rock topped by a hard cooked egg and for the sauce, scrambled eggs. Gross... We even went to the MDR for brunch for just this dish and when it came out it was obvious that it had been prepared hours prior and left under a heat lamp. You have to make it fresh or it is no good. I enjoyed a really good EB on RC before, made fresh and correctly. Carnival's offering is in name only and no kin whatsoever to the actual dish. YUCK!

Their eggs benedict is TERRIBLE too and John Heald actually posted on his FB page if people enjoyed it. Bad idea John! The English muffin is like a rock topped by a hard cooked egg and for the sauce, scrambled eggs. Gross... We even went to the MDR for brunch for just this dish and when it came out it was obvious that it had been prepared hours prior and left under a heat lamp. You have to make it fresh or it is no good. I enjoyed a really good EB on RC before, made fresh and correctly. Carnival's offering is in name only and no kin whatsoever to the actual dish. YUCK!

Oh I forgot how bad Carnival's Egg Benedict is. Really bad. If you want a really good EB, Celebrity's are awesome. They make them fresh while you watch at the buffet. Best EB I have ever had.

• 1 month later...

For breakfast I always stick to cottage cheese sprinkle some almonds on top and 1/2 a grapefruit. I took one look at the buffet offerings and about gagged. Corned beef hash is out of a can and was mushy. The baked beans weren't that sweet but were edible. I passed on the shoe sole ham, sausage, and the hockey puck potatoes. Lunch was pretty much the same, carb intensive - rice, pasta, and potatoes. I always went for the salad bar, pretty hard to screw up a salad - it would be my own fault. I did find the soups offered good. The sugar free desserts were lacking. They may not have added sugar, but the cakes were made of white flour and when eaten will turn to sugar rapidly in your body. I didn't gain any weight on the cruise.

Always order hollandaise sauce on the side. I don't really like the english muffin so I get a piece of toast, a poached egg, ham and put it together.

One cruise I ordered everything separate, because even with the sauce on the side the eggs were hard boiled.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Other than made to order stuff they do a pretty terrible job for breakfast on lido.

For some reason pancakes and toast are made hours before they are put out to customers. Understand they have to stay ahead but pancakes and toast are not built to hang around for hours.

A lot of Lido food is mush. Seem to do a fair job on fish. Some soups are good if you can get one hot. Lots of sweet choices w/very little flavor. If you find key lime pie it's very good. I have had a lot of problems with food temps. Nothing like tepid grits, cold spaghetti and the spaghetti had just put set out. I got first scoop and it wasn't hot. For some reason the butter is not near the bread. They do a good job at omelet stations.

Just take a small bite and go back for what you like.

As I just posted breakfast is pretty pathetic but think lunch is ok.

Key lime pie is the best dessert they make but it is only available on first sea day.

I hate it that you had bad eggs benedict in the MDR. :( We had it on the sea day brunch on the Sunshine in Jan and May and it was good both times.

For lunch my DH likes a salad from the Lido Buffet then he tops it with a piece of fish from the hot food line. Whoever said they do fish pretty well is correct in our experience.

Don't know how the Lido compares to the MDR for dinner but I can say the American Table menus in general left us unimpressed and I'm not hard to please (especially when I'm not the one grocery shopping, cooking and cleaning up LOL)

The eggs benedict in the MDR is very good, seriously. I always tell the server if the yellows are hard I ill return it. Every order was loose yokes just like I ordered, the hollandaise is pretty good too, add some salt, pepper, and hot sauce, yum.

I learned early on to ask for the Eggs Benedict with the sauce on the side - they have to cook one fresh for you! A world of difference!