No more fireworks???

az-cruiser

I think it was more of a "safety" issue...I heard there are talks of bringing out a large television screen by the main pool.. that they will broadcast an "almost live" fireworks experience...lol...NCL believes this will be a huge hit and be available on "select sailings" on a trial basis...that way you get the firework experience on your own schedule. An NCL "insider" confirmed they are working on doing a stateroom re-broadcast on a channel that will replay on a loop for multiple viewing experiences. Another NCL "insider" confirmed that FDR is toying with the idea of also broadcasting a channel that just shows a crackling fireplace on your stateroom television like my in-laws watch around Christmas.

I heard for right now there will be no charge for offering these 2 premium channels...for now...

Best,

Mark

That 10 minute show should not impact enjoyment or non enjoyment of a seven day cruise.

Just because you feel that way, does not mean that others should feel like that. There are still a lot of people (at least until next year) that have booked their cruise with the premise of seeing fireworks onboard.

(I've been on Getaway twice, first time with fireworks and second time without – honestly didn't miss them on second time, but I do understand why people are disappointed and rightfully so.)

Edited by Demonyte

Just because you feel that way, does not mean that others should feel like that. There are still a lot of people (at least until next year) that have booked their cruise with the premise of seeing fireworks onboard.

(I've been on Getaway twice, first time with fireworks and second time without – honestly didn't miss them on second time, but I do understand why people are disappointed and rightfully so.)

I understand the disappointment as well, and I think it should be more towards an "oh, darn" type disappointment, and less towards a "vacation won't be as good" type disappointment. Of course, we all have different coping skills, so whatever gets one through the night. :D

I understand the disappointment as well, and I think it should be more towards an "oh, darn" type disappointment, and less towards a "vacation won't be as good" type disappointment.

Generally I do agree, but OTOH fireworks at sea is something most ships do not have so I can completely understand people who have made their booking decision partly based on that, no matter how small the part. :D

We had fireworks on Getaway two years ago, and I noticed they were gone from our recent Escape sailing. I agree that the fireworks were nothing to write home about, but still neat to see at sea.

Then again, I remember the fireworks from our Disney cruise, and those were spectacular, so that may have coloured my impression of the Getaway fireworks.

OP, somehow I missed this as well.

I've been telling my family about them and everyone thought I must be mistaken because it sounded like too much of a fire hazard! We're in the "oh darn" camp. It would have been nice, as long as it was safe, but it's not a deal breaker by any means.

I think it was more of a "safety" issue...I heard there are talks of bringing out a large television screen by the main pool.. that they will broadcast an "almost live" fireworks experience...lol...NCL believes this will be a huge hit and be available on "select sailings" on a trial basis...that way you get the firework experience on your own schedule. An NCL "insider" confirmed they are working on doing a stateroom re-broadcast on a channel that will replay on a loop for multiple viewing experiences. Another NCL "insider" confirmed that FDR is toying with the idea of also broadcasting a channel that just shows a crackling fireplace on your stateroom television like my in-laws watch around Christmas.

I heard for right now there will be no charge for offering these 2 premium channels...for now...

Best,

Mark

I ask you this in all seriousness Mark, are you being funny or is this for real?

I live a few miles from the world famous Grucci Fireworks Headquarters......

I can't believe they thing watching on a 24 inch screen is going to be popular.....

Maybe a huge screen out by the pool...I can't coment on that because I have never seen it done and would not want to poo-poo it until I saw it....

But I don't even watch then on TV at home....let alone a cruise ship.......

People in my neighborhood do private displays that would rival any City in the world.....

Sitting in my room on a cruise watching tv is not how I want to spend my vacation....lol

If you took the t.v. out of the room it would probably take me half the cruise to realize it.......

I saw a Might Ships episode about Breakaway when they had fireworks, and it sounds like it was a very dangerous proposition to get the fireworks onboard and store them safely during the cruise. After seeing that, frankly I am glad they stopped having them.

I saw a Might Ships episode about Breakaway when they had fireworks, and it sounds like it was a very dangerous proposition to get the fireworks onboard and store them safely during the cruise. After seeing that, frankly I am glad they stopped having them.

Me too. I refused to cruise on a ship with fireworks for fear they would explode, sink the ship and then I would drown........

Blah - saw it on the BA in 2014 and skipped watching it in 2015, delayed for safety due to weather/wind - till we sailed from Nassau the next day ... our neighborhood fireworks & the ones @ Citifields (by N.Y. Mets) were far nicer, colorful & shot higher into the night sky.

Here's a virtual one taken by others & posted on YT - sit back, cast it to giant screen HDTV - pop on a set of Bose headset in surround sound mode -

Not missing much, really - ;)

You are speaking for me. It was one very cool thing we were looking forward too and I made sure we had the balcony on the correct side just for them... but that being said, I certainly know that it was NOT a deal killer for sure! Just a little disappointing, but moving on! They have switch many things around since I first booked this cruise. Upset to completely bummed out about no Harvest Caye for us... pretty grateful for Million Dollar Quartet. :) All said and done... I am not at work & chillin' in the Caribbean. Yay Us!

Me too. I refused to cruise on a ship with fireworks for fear they would explode, sink the ship and then I would drown........

You should NEVER do a Disney Cruise. Those ships are burning down constantly from the fireworks shows they do every cruise.

You are speaking for me. It was one very cool thing we were looking forward too and I made sure we had the balcony on the correct side just for them... but that being said, I certainly know that it was NOT a deal killer for sure! Just a little disappointing, but moving on! They have switch many things around since I first booked this cruise. Upset to completely bummed out about no Harvest Caye for us... pretty grateful for Million Dollar Quartet. :) All said and done... I am not at work & chillin' in the Caribbean. Yay Us!

I am disappointed about the fireworks as well. Almost moved cabins to be on the correct side, I'm glad I didn't bother now. I am very disappointed about Harvest Caye as I really did not want to go to Belize City again. Although the more I hear about Harvest Caye, I'm not sure I wanted to go anyway.

Not too sure about the shows. I always liked Legally Blonde the movie and I'm not too sure about MDQ. CMT is filming the series here. I never go to anything in town for it, so why do I want to see it on a cruise ship?

I am disappointed about the fireworks as well. Almost moved cabins to be on the correct side, I'm glad I didn't bother now. I am very disappointed about Harvest Caye as I really did not want to go to Belize City again. Although the more I hear about Harvest Caye, I'm not sure I wanted to go anyway.

Not too sure about the shows. I always liked Legally Blonde the movie and I'm not too sure about MDQ. CMT is filming the series here. I never go to anything in town for it, so why do I want to see it on a cruise ship?

I hear you about Belize. I know they have the cave tours, but honestly I think that will be a stop we will just have the ship to "ourselves". That sounds like a ton of fun to be honest. ;) I know the pool area will not be so crowded etc. so we are planning on that. If by chance Harvest Caye opens earlier, we'll certainly check it out. What have you heard that makes you hesitant?

Never saw the movie - LB. Just didn't sound like something I'd like or have any interest, but I love the idea of the MDQ. I did not think I'd think too much of the 4 seasons on the Pearl either, but went and boy was I entertained. I'm in my mid 40's, so maybe an age thing???? :D

I hear you about Belize. I know they have the cave tours, but honestly I think that will be a stop we will just have the ship to "ourselves". That sounds like a ton of fun to be honest. ;) I know the pool area will not be so crowded etc. so we are planning on that. If by chance Harvest Caye opens earlier, we'll certainly check it out. What have you heard that makes you hesitant?

Never saw the movie - LB. Just didn't sound like something I'd like or have any interest, but I love the idea of the MDQ. I did not think I'd think too much of the 4 seasons on the Pearl either, but went and boy was I entertained. I'm in my mid 40's, so maybe an age thing???? :D

From what I have heard, Harvest Caye won't be like the other private islands and will be more like a regular port, just one controlled by NCL. I haven't been to Mahogany Bay but I suspect they are rather similar.

You should NEVER do a Disney Cruise. Those ships are burning down constantly from the fireworks shows they do every cruise.

No plans to go on Disney. To me the fireworks are like surge supressors on the ship - there isn't a problem with it, until there is.

I would never try to deny anyone their righteous disappointment over losing something they thought they'd have when they booked. It does suck, especially if you have young children who looked forward to it. However, I don't want anyone to feel sad about the fireworks being discontinued either, so I'll just say that it wasn't anything that fabulous. It's cool to see fireworks over the ocean, but I could pretty much guarantee that you've all seen better, longer, and more impressively diverse fireworks in your own hometown or local area for July 4th. Heck, my boyfriend and I were over the border in Niagara Falls, Canada for July 4th several years ago, and our wonderful neighbors to the north put on a way better fireworks display than they had on the ship! [emoji1]

No plans to go on Disney. To me the fireworks are like surge supressors on the ship - there isn't a problem with it, until there is.

I heard Disney ships run on a kind of combustible fuel they call "deezel." They mix it with air and ignite it. It creates an explosion that makes the ship go! I'd rather stick with NCL ships that run on good wishes and fairy dust.