Elite - Laundry question

Bruce62

The process is called wet cleaning. Relative to industrial laundry, it's a lower-temperature gentler process using water and special detergents, and relative to dry cleaning they use water rather than solvent. Special consideration is made for avoiding shrinkage and friction damage of clothing. It's not uncommon to find cleaners in metro areas that mostly do wet cleaning now.

There's another thread on cleaning going, where a retired drycleaner with 44 years in the industry who writes for a trade publication says he has cleaning done onboard and hasn't had problems. If a recognized expert says he's good with the service, I'm fine with it.

My one issue in 38 cruises, 17 of which I've had free laundry and at least 6 where I willingly paid was with a pair of linen pants that came back looking amazing except for a half-dozen 2" blotches of color loss. The laundry master came up to inspect them, agreed it was a problem, and the purser's desk resolved the issue onboard very fairly. It was much easier than dealing with similar issues from a local dry cleaner.

Excellent point, we always travel with a small bottle of the heavy duty Shout (the blue bottle) as food from 2 tables away can find my white shirt.;)

I now resort to tucking my napkin under my chin during my meals & avoided most stains altogether. If I drip something it never falls as far as my lap. ;);)

If you are Elite you will receive unlimited next day, no charge, laundry and dry cleaning services. Sort your laundry, place it into the paper laundry bags that are in your cabin's closet and fill out the laundry slip. Make sure you check the next day service as there is a charge for priority service. We normally don't place more than two bags at a time for ease of handling, but there is really no limit. Place the bag(s) on your bed before you go to dinner on the first day. On other days we normally place our laundry bag(s) on the bed before we leave the cabin in the morning. That way the cabin steward can pick them up during the morning cleaning. On boarding day your cabin will most likely only have two laundry bags and slips so you will have to ask your cabin steward for additional bags.

If there are a large number of Elites on board it could take 2 to 3 days to get it back.

You do not get next day service. We got that in a suite. But, we have never gotten it traveling as elite members, unless there weren't many elites on board. In a suite, you get next day service, regardless.

You do not get next day service. We got that in a suite. But, we have never gotten it traveling as elite members, unless there weren't many elites on board. In a suite, you get next day service, regardless.

My rule for laundry is simple....If it can go into the regular wash at home--I send it out in the morning. ...If id dry clean it at home--thats what I do--I take it home and send it to my trusted dry cleaners....Not the ships...

IMHO ....The number of Elites is a load of junk.when it cimes to getting laundry back....ive sailed on the Royal and Regal ...more than once, each...once getting items sent out on Monday. ..back on Friday. ....Once doing a B2B Royal to CB--500 Elites on Royal. ..700 plus on CB...I received my items the next day the entire cruise on the CB.....Matter of fact....I consistently send items out one morning and get them back with my turndown service the next day on Grand Class ships.......most recently on the Emerald last month.

This is my experience. ......maybe im just lucky. ...Never will I send out any thing other than laundry items...Had valuable slacks messed up....thats another story. ...Happy Sailing everyone

Edited by blkspy

We got off a CruseTour and just about first thing handed the Room Steward the laundry. Sent laundry out two more times and nothing was ever said. I don't think their call it dry cleaning anymore, but they offer a similar service. Never had a quality problem with a Princess Laundry. Very prompt next day service too.

My rule for laundry is simple....If it can go into the regular wash at home--I send it out in the morning. ...If id dry clean it at home--thats what I do--I take it home and send it to my trusted dry cleaners....Not the ships...

IMHO ....The number of Elites is a load of junk.when it cimes to getting laundry back....ive sailed on the Royal and Regal ...more than once, each...once getting items sent out on Monday. ..back on Friday. ....Once doing a B2B Royal to CB--500 Elites on Royal. ..700 plus on CB...I received my items the next day the entire cruise on the CB.....Matter of fact....I consistently send items out one morning and get them back with my turndown service the next day on Grand Class ships.......most recently on the Emerald last month.

This is my experience. ......maybe im just lucky. ...Never will I send out any thing other than laundry items...Had valuable slacks messed up....thats another story. ...Happy Sailing everyone

We got 24-hour turn around once last week and 48-hour turnaround

the second time we sent our laundry out on the Regal last week. There were 300 Elites onboard. We had expected a lengthy wait based on previous reviews on this board. Good to know that we can expect quick service on the Grand in October

Edited by 4cats4me

The secret is sending only older clothing to the laundry so if anything gets damaged you haven't lost all that much.

I have some beaded blouses I wouldn't trust to anyone to wash other than doing it myself at home.

We are confused about what laundry is free. Is the dry cleaning complimentary as well? If I'm elite and my spouse is not, is my laundry free and his not free?

Just put your name (not your spouse's) on the laundry bag - no problem. That's what we do, as I am Elite but my partner is not.

Dry cleaning is not free, sadly.

Edited by lake5298

We have always had free "next day" service travelling as Elite.

"Same day" service is chargeable.

Just put your name (not your spouse's) on the laundry bag - no problem. That's what we do, as I am Elite but my partner is not.

Not that I care but your partner isn't suppose to use Elite benefits using you name- so be careful. ;)

And btw- their version if dry cleaning called "cleaning" is free for Elites.

Not that I care but your partner isn't suppose to use Elite benefits using you name- so be careful. ;)

And btw- their version if dry cleaning called "cleaning" is free for Elites.

Are you sure that's the case, I've never heard that officially

Officially the Elite benefits are supposed to be only for the Elite person in the cabin but most of the time the cabin steward will never say a word.

Probably the reason why the cabin steward's ignoring it, is a way to please the guests in anticipation for an extra "good job" gratuity.

Probably the reason why the cabin steward's ignoring it, is a way to please the guests in anticipation for an extra "good job" gratuity.

Princess is not a detective agency, nor law enforcement, and will not "call" you everything. They want you back, and do not want you to view your cabin steward as a spy.

Princess is not a detective agency, nor law enforcement, and will not "call" you everything. They want you back, and do not want you to view your cabin steward as a spy.

On the above, I meant "call you on everything".

what a lovely post.

Cruise princess ....., we know exactly what you are up to..

Edited by PedroLeBlanc

Oh my, what's a cross dresser to do! Just kidding.

Im just waiting for a cabin steward to 'Mention my Unmentionables, in a conversation he has No Right to Mention' :eek: :) I need a cruise :D its been six weeks

Seriously, I send out what ever I wish that fits in the provided bag with the filled out receipt. NEVER has anyone questioned my items.....Mentionables or Unmentionables. The bottom line is this......If you put it in the regular wash at home--send it out......if you are nervous about a certain item--take it home and have your local cleaners do it.....or :) you can hand wash it yourself........Easy Breezey, Pick A Neezy.......how ever it goes :cool:

Officially the Elite benefits are supposed to be only for the Elite person in the cabin but most of the time the cabin steward will never say a word.

You are correct, however it has been reported in this forum in the past that the laundry department has occasionally questioned the laundry received in an Elite's bag that is clearly that of a gender other than that of the Elite member. I have this great fear that continued or growing abuse of the Elite laundry perk will result in its reduction of elimination al together.

Complimentary Laundry and Professional Cleaning Services***

Upon request, your stateroom steward will organize your laundry to be cleaned - compliments of Princess Cruises Captain’s Circle!