Elite - Laundry question

Bruce62

Hi,

We have 'Elite' status on Princess through our P&O history, and will be sailing with Princess for the first time this year.

We will arrive on board have already spent a week touring Canada with Rocky Mountaineer, so will probably have plenty of laundry ready when we board.

My question is......Is there a fair usage policy, or can we literally give them a week's worth of laundry the day we board. This would make packing a lot easier.....

I would also like to know what limits if any are put on the laundry. Somebody on our last cruise said it was two unlimited packages for a 10 day cruise. Princess web site does not go into detail under elite benifits.

I would also like to know what limits if any are put on the laundry. Somebody on our last cruise said it was two unlimited packages for a 10 day cruise. Princess web site does not go into detail under elite benifits.

I have never heard of limits being placed on Elite laundry benefits.

If you are Elite you will receive unlimited next day, no charge, laundry and dry cleaning services. Sort your laundry, place it into the paper laundry bags that are in your cabin's closet and fill out the laundry slip. Make sure you check the next day service as there is a charge for priority service. We normally don't place more than two bags at a time for ease of handling, but there is really no limit. Place the bag(s) on your bed before you go to dinner on the first day. On other days we normally place our laundry bag(s) on the bed before we leave the cabin in the morning. That way the cabin steward can pick them up during the morning cleaning. On boarding day your cabin will most likely only have two laundry bags and slips so you will have to ask your cabin steward for additional bags.

If there are a large number of Elites on board it could take 2 to 3 days to get it back.

It can take up to 72 hrs especially if given right after embarkation.

For this reason, if we're embarking with a lot of laundry from a pre-cruise stay, we'll usually use the passenger laundries to do it ourselves. But that's not a requirement; as mentioned, it's unlimited for Elites.

I would also like to know what limits if any are put on the laundry. Somebody on our last cruise said it was two unlimited packages for a 10 day cruise. Princess web site does not go into detail under elite benefits.

They are thinking about another cruise line, not Princess

Hi,

We have 'Elite' status on Princess through our P&O history, and will be sailing with Princess for the first time this year.

We will arrive on board have already spent a week touring Canada with Rocky Mountaineer, so will probably have plenty of laundry ready when we board.

My question is......Is there a fair usage policy, or can we literally give them a week's worth of laundry the day we board. This would make packing a lot easier.....

Let me share my experiences regarding Elite Laundry.

My first cruise with Elite status was a 7-day sailing on Regal. It was also my first 7-day cruise (since all my previous were 4 day cruises.) I was excited when packing because I felt I didn't have to pack 7 day's worth of clothing: whatever I wore on embarkation would be sent out to Laundry the morning of day #2, back at the end of day #3, and could be worn on day #4. And so forth.

The color drained out of my face on embarkation when I got to my stateroom to find a message clipped to the laundry tickets which were stamped ELITE. I can't quote it, but the gist was that I SHOULD NOT expect my laundry back so quick due to the high number of Elite passengers. Reading that reminded me that I have read posters here describe how angry some Elites have been to wait up to five days to get their clothes back on Transatlantic Voyages because so many sent out a week's worth of clothes to be cleaned at once, just as you described.

I nervously explained my packing and laundering plan to my steward, reiterating that I only planned to send out each morning yesterday's clothes. His confident response was the I wouldn't have an issue. I didn't, and all was well.

On subsequent cruises I've NEVER had a delay... including a cruise where by embarkation I had three day's of dirty clothing from travels leading up to the cruise. In that case, I GRADUALLY sent out extra laundry; on Day #2 I sent out two shirts and two pair of socks, a set from Day #1 plus a set from a pre-cruise day. I didn't feel I was taking advantage of my benefit because, once cleaned, I ended up wearing those clothes on the cruise.

There have been postings on here about ELITE members who bring dirty clothing that otherwise would gone to their local dry cleaner/laundry, just to save that expense, and others who will extend their benefit to family or friends staying in other cabins who aren't ELITE.

My opinion are that both of those tactics are WRONG and TAKE ADVANTAGE of the benefit. (And I'm sure some are of the opinion that even my doubling up of the 3 days described above is WRONG.)

I put myself in the shoes of the personnel on the receiving end of those bags of laundry, in the Laundry Dept. There's only so much they can do daily. If it were me, and the incoming laundry was overwhelming and beyond the capacity, I'd start picking and choosing with this priority: Suite guests first, paying guests next, and finally SMALLER bags of Elite laundry next. The overstuffed, week's worth of laundry bags would be pushed as last.

I'd say, do it gradually, a few extras every day so the Laundry Dept doesn't get overwhelmed. After all, you weren't planning on wearing all seven days of dirty laundry all at once.

There is no limit on the amount you can send. Room steward will bring you as many bags as you request. We always do a precruise land portion, anywhere from 2-3 days to 2-3 weeks...we pack accordingly and have never had a problem with turning in laundry day one...usually back in 2 days...so far so good....that is an awesome perk of being elite!:p

I have talked to people that get everything laundered before disembarkation and don't have to do laundry when they get home...we don't do that...but love having clean clothes during a long cruise...however, before we were elite, we saw some of the best shipboard entertainment and knock down fights over washers in the laundry rooms:o

Contrary to popular belief, I work for a living, and thus often have had a few days of travel immediately before boarding m'self. I have no hesitation sending everything out in one shot - it is unrealistic to expect that in this age of travel without steamer trunks and a valet, I should arrive with seven days of clean clothes.

Smalls, however, I prefer to do myself in the guest laundry - despite being a mostly-unrepentant sybarite, I can't bring myself to make other people wash my socks.

Don't hesitate to ask your steward for more bags - they'd much rather deal with a few modestly-full ones than two that are bursting at the seams.

We have never arrived with 7 days of laundry, maybe 3 or 4 days, but there is no reason a person can't send it out. Just fill a bag or 2 and leave it by the cabin door the first morning of the cruise. As yet we have never had to wait more the 48 hrs for laundry return, in fact normally the cabin steward brings it back in the evening when he/she does their "turn down" routine.

Bruce62,

We did the Rocky Mountaineer May 2014 prior to sailing on the Pacific Princess. It was an absolutely amazing experience. We got to see great places, stay in wonderful hotels and meet great people. In fact we still keep in touch with several couples from the trip.

As far as laundry goes: like everyone has said, no worries. Just place in the bags and give to room steward. %99 of the time the clothes come back the next day at around dinner time. %1 it took 2 days.

Have a great trip and take lots of pictures...

Looking forward to the laundry service but how's the quality? Do they press dress shirts and slacks? I'm not that picky but would like to know what to expect.

Wonderful. My DH's undershirts came back on hangers and look like they were pressed.

We are confused about what laundry is free. Is the dry cleaning complimentary as well? If I'm elite and my spouse is not, is my laundry free and his not free?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

After MANY issues with Princess laundry service, I STRONGLY recommend against sending out anything that is delicate or expensive. We use it for items that they cannot really damage and it has been a really LONG time since we've had it back in 24 hrs...

We are confused about what laundry is free. Is the dry cleaning complimentary as well? If I'm elite and my spouse is not, is my laundry free and his not free?

For Elites, both laundering and the dry cleaning alternative they use are complimentary when requesting standard, next day service. Pronto, same-day service carries a fee even for Elites.

I doubt anyone will quibble if you place your husband's articles in a laundry bag with a ticket filled out with your name.

Tux shirts come back clean and pressed, but I always have to take it to the Laundromat and press the creases in the cuffs and wingtip collar. Which is oddly enjoyable though.

Enjoyable. Huh? I love the laundry, no complaints at least it's done. Generally always back in 24 hours, depends, I think, how many Elites are on there.

I was elite before my wife and it was all free. So is the dry cleaning.

Tony

Edited by Lucky TGO