It's Not the End of the World - April 25th Empress Cancelled

Here is what I don't understand - they know how much money the project is going to cost, and I'm sure that includes the time estimate for completion, and project status to date.

How could they be so cold-hearted to leave the April 30 cruisers hanging until day 5 - and even offering them last minute upsales for the cruise that they knew was never going to happen!

And why are there no announcements or pictures from the ship showing the upgrades completed to the centrum, rooms, bars, pool, movie screen, dining rooms etc - if they are done - and supposedly have been done for weeks.

This whole project reeks of mismanagement.

It is a shame that the sailings coming up have been cancelled yet again. I also can't believe they gave them only 5 days. At least we had 12 days when they cancelled our March 30th sailing. We wind up getting a refund because there were no rooms available because of spring break week. We did go on the NCL Getaway which was a little bit more but we got to take our last spring break cruise together as a family (oldest daughter is graduating in a few weeks).

I am wondering if this ship will ever set sail. I hope for those who changed their reservations the first time around and then got cancelled again is able to get something back. I don't think I will book on this ship until it starts sailing!

It depends how close your sailing is.

We got OBC for May 14 & May 19. (if you rebook)

Supposedly the first two cancelled cruises (one is just five days away!!! :eek: ) also get 100% FCC, and the next two get 50% FCC.

I understand that 5 days is not enough time for much planning but when we got cancelled the first go around with 12 days we weren't offered 100% FCC or 50% FCC.

Heyyyy mema! It has been a while! And that picture up there is me and my oldest. She is my mini me.

I think she may be the only one who is happy about this switch. I don't think she was looking forward to a small ship. So one person is relieved :p

Ooops.:o :D

Glad you were able to switch to something, though shorter. At least you know what you are getting with Enchantment. Will be interesting to see if they cancel even more cruises.

The "100% future cruise credit" sounded almost reasonable until they explained that is was 100% of cruise cost for the cancelled cruise, not the future cruise. So for those who committed very early, that's just a few hundred dollars.

We're out of pocket $1600 so far.

(especially if they start spin doctoring for Disney cruises at the end of the story!)

Didn't think of the Disney angle! Pitching my contacts at GMA tomorrow!

I think the focus for the rest of us (especially shareholders) is CEO Michael Bayley and President/COO Adam Goldstein (just Google them). Because, quite honestly, taking all this out on the script-reading robots at customer "service" is as useless as complaining about the situation here on Empress centric forums.

The general public, other cruise lines, states attorney general, ASTA, and yes, the lawyers at the site that we can't name, need to be informed about how poorly Royal is treating passengers 5 days out from a cruise. I suggest using postcards, so everyone along the route, from the mailroom to the executive assistant can also read your opinion on just how horrendously RCCI is abusing their customers by not making them whole in this mess. If you take it lying down (as you will) the abuse will become systemic.

Until then, where are the cockroach jokes?

Edited by WinksCruises

Hi Yogi, I'm not taking it as...zen as you

Long time no see. Sorry it was under these circumstances. This seriously sucks. No matter how you look at it.

I couldn't have dreamed that they would cancel sailings not once but twice. I am in the new category, those cancelled once ---offered the $100 OBC (ha, still laughing)

And my cruise is now 3 nights in a hotel - 3 nights on an actual ship (Enchantment).

Hi cruisingmama06 - Yes, its been a while. I feel for your pain. 3 nights in a hotel and a short three night cruise is a poor substitute for what you planned. I do hope you have an absolutely wonderful experience. I also hope RCCL will step up to the plate (yes, baseball season) and give better compensation, but sadly, I doubt it.

Were you also cancelled? :confused:

Sorry to those that were cancelled. Very poor treatment. The whole situation is unbelievable.

Was I cancelled? No.

This sort of disrespectful way of handling clients makes me seriously consider NOT using Royal if airfare and hotels are going to be involved. They are displaying corporate arrogance. They fully have the capability to make people whole in this situation on all corners and are choosing not to.

Really will have to think long and hard if I want to give money to a company I feel may leave me holding the bill when THEY don't deliver.

Carnival treated guests better a few weeks ago on the Pride when they had to revise a single itinerary for a propulsion issue than Royal has treated any guest on Empress for 13 canceled sailings.

Was I cancelled? No.

This sort of disrespectful way of handling clients makes me seriously consider NOT using Royal if airfare and hotels are going to be involved. They are displaying corporate arrogance. They fully have the capability to make people whole in this situation on all corners and are choosing not to.

Really will have to think long and hard if I want to give money to a company I feel may leave me holding the bill when THEY don't deliver.

Carnival treated guests better a few weeks ago on the Pride when they had to revise a single itinerary for a propulsion issue than Royal has treated any guest on Empress for 13 canceled sailings.

Sorry, the way you were spouting off, I thought you were cancelled too. I'm thinking there's no need to try and out rant the people that actually got screwed. Just a thought.

Sorry, the way you were spouting off, I thought you were cancelled too. I'm thinking there's no need to try and out rant the people that actually got screwed. Just a thought.

:confused:

I do some bookings on the side and, yes, am dealing with people that got screwed. I don't promote on here.

Mr. Bayley does not care about his clients.

Edited by LMaxwell

The "100% future cruise credit" sounded almost reasonable until they explained that is was 100% of cruise cost for the cancelled cruise, not the future cruise. So for those who committed very early, that's just a few hundred dollars.

For those of us who were booked for April 25th it is only 50%, which works out to something like $135 per person.

FCCs ALWAYS work like that. ALWAYS the fare that you paid.

Here's an update for those who are interested...

I finally received an email from RCCL that was sent around 10:30 last night. Of course, it wound up in my "spam" box, so I was fortunate to even see it. No one ever called. (yes, we are D+)

o.k., today, I got our certificates!!!!!

$25 for Mrs. Yogimax and $155 for me. So to continue my positive spin on this thread, that's $180 that I didn't have before. Gotta laugh about it as the certificate also says that if the cruise I book costs less than $25, they will not carry over the difference. Glad to hear that as I was wondering!

Edited by yogimax

We have been booked on the May 28th cruise for just a few months. Primarily because a friend has been in drydock with her, and will be on the ship when they start sailing. There were structural repairs that have to be done. That is all they have been told. You can imagine as a worker, they are ok with not having to deal with passengers yet, and get to stay docked longer.

It was this friend that always insisted we have insurance when we are flying to a cruise. So we have that. If they cancel the cruise so be it. We will take the refund and future cruise credit and hang out in Miami for 5 days.