How organized is Princess boarding in Vancouver?

Wolfhunt

Going to be on our first Princess cruise in a few weeks and also the first time we have sailed out of Vancouver.

Was curious what it is like boarding at the Port of Vancouver. We have sailed with Disney out of Canaveral and Galveston (basically a slightly organized cattle call), out of Ft Lauderdale on RCIs Allure (very organized process), and on Carnival in Miami (somewhere between the other two lines).

How is Princess out if Vancouver? We typically arrive at port around 10am. This is because I am paranoid about something happening on the way to port that might delay us and want lots of a cushion.

Edited by Wolfhunt

My experience with the port in Vancouver has been bad unfortunately. Three years ago we boarded in early May on the first cruise to Alaska (the cruise before us had come from Australia and Hawaii). As a consequence it took hours for the people to disembark. We left and did a 1.5 hour hop-on-hop-off bus tour to kill time and returned at 12:30 It took us one and half hour to get onboard.

The next time I was there in early June and it took a very long time getting through customs- about 45 minutes. So it's not my favorite cruise port.

Well you are going to dodge a bullet, on May 13 only the Crown will be in port. If it were the next 2 days there will be 3 ships a day doing their repositioning. So things for you should go easily however, you need to know that there will be a lot of new hires being broken it. Your cab will drop you and your luggage right at the front door of the terminal where the luggage porters will take your luggage. Once inside the doors of the terminal Princess reps will guide you thru check in, CBP and security. No need to arrive before 1030 or 1100 and if you don't need that Embarkation Day lunch then turn up between 1300 & 1400 hrs and avoid much of the lines.

Sailed right through in September 2010, though our Princess transfer from SEA to Vancouver was delayed through the border due to Labor Day weekend traffic - we practically ran from station to station, yet still made it to 4:30 muster.

Wasn't thrilled with the speed when boarding in August 2012, though we did arrive around 12:30 and that might be the worst time to arrive.

Horribly disappointed with a 12:10 arrival for an April 2015 repositioning cruise. Customs was dog-slow...so bad that they had a quasi-organized sitting area so you at least sat for a while before you stood back up to go through Customs. They had new-fangled self-service kiosks, but someone apparently needed an anal cavity search so that totally gummed up the works. It was nearly two hours to get through the line, and that was with priority boarding passes (the priority only factored in at the very end).

If it were me, I'd either arrive around 11:15am or 2:15pm. Either be at the front of the curve, or be far enough behind the curve that the customs folks realize they have no other choice but to actually move the line through expeditiously.

Thanks, I did notice the Crown was the only ship in that day. Hopefully that will cut down on confusion. I can see how that would be easier than dealing with three ships loading/unloading at once.

We have to check out if the hotel by 11am (I think) so we will probably leave a bit early and try to get to port by 10-10:30. Even though I am sure we will have to wait a bit, at least we might beat the main rush. I do enjoy getting aboard and being able to relax a bit, grab a bite to eat and maybe a drink then unpack before muster (assuming the luggage gets there by then). It might sound odd, but I look forward to unpacking and "moving in" to the stateroom. It just makes me feel that the vacation has begun.

With Princess are staterooms usually open when you board or do you need to wait while the staff finishes getting them ready (which is what we are used to) ?

With Princess are staterooms usually open when you board or do you need to wait while the staff finishes getting them ready (which is what we are used to) ?

Princess only allows boarding when all staterooms are ready, so you can drop off your carry-on in your cabin and head off for lunch. Often when you return to your cabin post lunch, your luggage will be waiting for you. Boarding usually begins about 1145.

Princess only allows boarding when all staterooms are ready, so you can drop off your carry-on in your cabin and head off for lunch. Often when you return to your cabin post lunch, your luggage will be waiting for you. Boarding usually begins about 1145.

Thanks, that will be so much easier than getting lunch or a drink with my carry-on bags.

The first few weeks in May - it is crazy. I don't necessarily think it is Princess personnel but more like pier personnel.

Princess personnel are contract people in the main, CBP officers are employees of the US Government, the security people are contractors...so I am guessing that leaves the longshoremen who handle the luggage and with that I don't know who to blame. In May a lot of the Princess contract people are new hires and if you ask them a question they look like deer who have been caught in headlights. The bottleneck always lies with CBP, remember you clear them at Canada Place rather than your first port of call in Alaska which would take hours but if you don't like the speed at which they process you then please write your congressman, there is nothing that Canada Place can do about it. Which leaves us with the security people, frankly they seem to handle people as well as I have seem at any other port. However, if you have any ideas on how things could be speeded up at Canada Place then please write Princess, I am certain they will be all ears.

Thanks, I did notice the Crown was the only ship in that day. Hopefully that will cut down on confusion. I can see how that would be easier than dealing with three ships loading/unloading at once.

We have to check out if the hotel by 11am (I think) so we will probably leave a bit early and try to get to port by 10-10:30. Even though I am sure we will have to wait a bit, at least we might beat the main rush. I do enjoy getting aboard and being able to relax a bit, grab a bite to eat and maybe a drink then unpack before muster (assuming the luggage gets there by then). It might sound odd, but I look forward to unpacking and "moving in" to the stateroom. It just makes me feel that the vacation has begun.

Our experience has been that if the prior passengers get off reasonably and the local authorities are there and working, check in will begin about 11am. There will be separate lines for those with priority (suite passengers and those who are Platinum or Elite in the Captain's Circle) and for all others. There are usually disportionately more clerks for the priority group, so they usually move faster. Boarding begins about 11:30 or noon with the priority groups going first.

Our experiences can be broken into two parts, the customs and immigration part, and the real Princess part. Since you will be the only ship in port, the customs and immigration part should not be quite the nightmare it can be. Lines are horrid, as passengers for all the ships use the same lines.

Once you get through that, it is easy and pretty smooth. That is the part that Princess has control over.

I think arriving at 10 or so would be better than waiting for lines to build an hour or so later......we took the transfer up from Seattle last summer and by the time we got to the port, the customs and immigration lines were beyond ridiculous, we spent about 150 minutes to get through those lines. Hoping that with just one ship it will be much easier. You still won't be able to board until 11:30, 11:45 or just before noon, but you can be seated instead of standing on line for an eternity.

By the way, our experience at the new pier in SF for embarkation was quite smooth, too.

We were on the 4/4 Hawaii sailing and thought Vancouver embarkation and disembarkation both were very organized. Much easier than the new terminal in SF.

Now that is what I wanted to hear! We are sailing this coming Friday, RT Vancouver/Hawaii.

Just Mike

Our experience has been that if the prior passengers get off reasonably and the local authorities are there and working, check in will begin about 11am. There will be separate lines for those with priority (suite passengers and those who are Platinum or Elite in the Captain's Circle) and for all others. There are usually disportionately more clerks for the priority group, so they usually move faster. Boarding begins about 11:30 or noon with the priority groups going first.

Paul there were several really big IF's in that answer! :D Tell Jeannie "Hi" for us.

Just Betty & Mike

Our experiences can be broken into two parts, the customs and immigration part, and the real Princess part. Since you will be the only ship in port, the customs and immigration part should not be quite the nightmare it can be. Lines are horrid, as passengers for all the ships use the same lines.

Once you get through that, it is easy and pretty smooth. That is the part that Princess has control over.

I think arriving at 10 or so would be better than waiting for lines to build an hour or so later......we took the transfer up from Seattle last summer and by the time we got to the port, the customs and immigration lines were beyond ridiculous, we spent about 150 minutes to get through those lines. Hoping that with just one ship it will be much easier. You still won't be able to board until 11:30, 11:45 or just before noon, but you can be seated instead of standing on line for an eternity.

By the way, our experience at the new pier in SF for embarkation was quite smooth, too.

Thanks. I don't mind the waiting once you get through customs/immigration. I always have my iPad ready with books and movies when I travel. I also have my Surface Pro 3 and can edit whatever pbotos I took on our day in Vancouver.

Having worked for Princess in Vancouver for many years as a port agent, I thought I would add in my 2 cents worth...

Comparing Vancouver to ports such as LA, San Francisco, Fort Lauderdale, etc is like comparing apples to oranges. Vancouver is a very different experience since the majority of cruises with the first port in the US have to pre-clear US immigration in Vancouver. This is not something Princess, or any other cruise line, has any control over. It doesn't matter if you are elite, have priority boarding, or know the Queen of England....you go through the same line as everyone else and are treated as a passenger regardless of cruise line status. The pre-clearance process can go smoothly and quickly but can also take HOURS....it depends on the nationality of the majority of passengers, whether more screening is required, how many officers are available to process and, at times, whether those officers got out of the right side of the bed or not! Bear in mind that if the immigration area becomes backed up, the security screening line (which is right before you enter immigration) also backs up and usually has to stop screening as if there is no space in the next area, then no more passengers can go in. This is the point where the lines build (I have seen them all the way out of the terminal to the bus bays on very bad days) and the waiting begins. Once again, neither Princess or any other cruise line can control this!

Once you have made it through security and immigration you become the passenger of whichever line you are sailing and your past guest status kicks in. Now Princess has control and, from my experience, this process is pretty smooth and painless. You fill out your health form, check in and walk onboard if boarding has begun (Vancouver no longer begins boarding prior to 12pm, but check in usually opens at 11am). Obviously, if there has been a delay or problem with the ship at disembark then you will be waiting longer to board - this is common when the ship is coming in from a one-nighter as, let's face it, who wants to leave the ship after only one night! It's also common is a ship comes in with noro-virus and needs to be cleaned - I, for one, will take that delay over getting the dreaded noro!

At the beginning of the season, most of the port agents will be new hires - they no longer work for Princess as they are contracted by an outside agency. They receive lots of training, but keep in mind that they are also learning on the job so may not be super speedy and might need to ask ship staff for assistance. Even so, the check in process is basically swiping your passport and getting your cruise card! Should be fast and smooth!

Hope this is helpful...

Have fun in our beautiful city!

However, if you have any ideas on how things could be speeded up at Canada Place then please write Princess, I am certain they will be all ears.

Since you quoted me, I assume you are directing this towards me. I love to cruise in May and often it happens to be the first time the ship is in Vancouver for the season and it is crazy.

I have no doubt this is due to new employees but what one experiences in May is entirely different then mid-June or July when they are in their usual routine.

For example, once we were intransit and we could not find one person who knew what that meant. Again, as the season goes on, I know it gets better. The OP is cruising in Mid-May and because of this, I thought I would give them my honest opinion based on my experience.

Having worked for Princess in Vancouver for many years as a port agent, I thought I would add in my 2 cents worth...

At the beginning of the season, most of the port agents will be new hires - they no longer work for Princess as they are contracted by an outside agency. They receive lots of training, but keep in mind that they are also learning on the job so may not be super speedy and might need to ask ship staff for assistance. Even so, the check in process is basically swiping your passport and getting your cruise card! Should be fast and smooth!

!

Great explanation. New hires make a huge difference. I am sure they catch on after a few weekends!

Edited by Coral

Comparing Vancouver to ports such as LA, San Francisco, Fort Lauderdale, etc is like comparing apples to oranges. Vancouver is a very different experience since the majority of cruises with the first port in the US have to pre-clear US immigration in Vancouver. This is not something Princess, or any other cruise line, has any control over. It doesn't matter if you are elite, have priority boarding, or know the Queen of England....you go through the same line as everyone else and are treated as a passenger regardless of cruise line status. The pre-clearance process can go smoothly and quickly but can also take HOURS....it depends on the nationality of the majority of passengers, whether more screening is required, how many officers are available to process and, at times, whether those officers got out of the right side of the bed or not! Bear in mind that if the immigration area becomes backed up, the security screening line (which is right before you enter immigration) also backs up and usually has to stop screening as if there is no space in the next area, then no more passengers can go in. This is the point where the lines build (I have seen them all the way out of the terminal to the bus bays on very bad days) and the waiting begins. Once again, neither Princess or any other cruise line can control this!

Once you have made it through security and immigration you become the passenger of whichever line you are sailing and your past guest status kicks in. Now Princess has control and, from my experience, this process is pretty smooth and painless. You fill out your health form, check in and walk onboard if boarding has begun (Vancouver no longer begins boarding prior to 12pm, but check in usually opens at 11am). Obviously, if there has been a delay or problem with the ship at disembark then you will be waiting longer to board - this is common when the ship is coming in from a one-nighter as, let's face it, who wants to leave the ship after only one night! It's also common is a ship comes in with noro-virus and needs to be cleaned - I, for one, will take that delay over getting the dreaded noro!

Hope this is helpful...

Have fun in our beautiful city!

Thank you for explaining the process!! It makes things so much easier knowing what to expect :)

Thanks, that will be so much easier than getting lunch or a drink with my carry-on bags.

Princess usually doesn't start boarding until the cabins are ready, but it does happen that cabins are not ready.

It's been reported here and it has happened to us at least once. At check-in, you will be given a card stating "cabins not ready". BUT you can almost always drop off your carry-on in the cabin. Just chuck them under the bed or in the closet, cuz the door will be open until the cabin is finished.

We found our steward and let him know our carry-on was in the cabin.

We boarded what I think was the first ship of the season out of Vancouver a few weeks ago. Having only one ship in port helps a lot as the traffic around Canada Place can be a zoo.

From the time we dropped off our luggage in the parkade, passed through security and boarded, we were looking at a total elapsed time of slightly less than an hour. The most painful part of the entire process was listening to the woman in line behind us bitch the entire time.

Once aboard we went to our cabin, dropped off hand luggage, met our room steward and went for lunch. When we returned our luggage had already arrived.

We've boarded ships all over the world. Sometimes the experience is great, sometimes not, there can be many reasons, depending on the security situation, immigration control, the ethnicity of the passengers, size of the port/terminal facilities and efficiency of the staff. Best advice we can offer, just go with the flow, get onboard and enjoy your cruise.